Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Updates iWork Apps for iOS With Support for Scribble, New Image Picker, Editable Shapes and More

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Except Keynote is not dumbed down and it's far better than Powerpoint, and it's been this way for well over 10 years.

I beg to differ... I use both, besides PowerPoint being more universal and ubiquitous, it is more full featured. A few years ago I agree the UI and overall feel of Keynote was better, but compared to PP 2016-2019 versions that is not the case anymore.

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I wonder if the iPhone 12 will support pencil soon , or maybe a iPhone similar to the note series ?
The larger screen sizes of the Pro line easily affords Pencil potential. It's relatively the same size as Field Notes - which I use daily. I'm in the camp that would enjoy Pencil support on iPhone.

topdrawer

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
i wish apple would gather all their resources and focus on nothing but Spellcheck. like seriously.

Chris Grande

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
The one feature I keep hoping to come back to Keynote... animations on Master Slides... hmm, nope. Still I wait and update my longstanding Feedback since the "big rewrite".

The YouTube and Vimeo integration is cool, the old versions used to have a bunch of fancy features. For example, you could embed live web pages on slides.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68020
Well I was only posting a rebuttal to your post stating that Powerpoint was better than Keynote when it simply isn't true by a long shot.
I should have been more clear - PC users often say that Apple’s productivity apps are dumbed down versions of MS’s apps, whether that is true or not. I know that Numbers is definitely not as robust as Excel, but what I work on doesn’t require pivot tables or other highly complex formatting, so it’s a non-issue for me. I’ve probably made a dozen Keynote presentations in the past 10 years, to give you an idea of just how little I use it.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2020
For me Keynote and PowerPoint are different. They each have advantages.
Keynote has more fluid and dramatic object animation.
PowerPoint has more useful graphs, chart and diagrams.

I use both depends on my needs on Mac.
On iPad I use Keynote only for simplicity and more touch friendly.
When colaborating with my clients I use Google Sides, because they’re using it.

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
Is this with shared collaboration turned on within Numbers? Or just the file in a shared folder? I think only iOS has forms. Numbers Mac doesn’t have forms even on my not shared spreadsheet that I just tested. The sheets I share with my employees don’t have forms in them but I’m going to add one and test it out tomorrow.
Shared collaboration. It doesn’t work unfortunately, we need to add data as fast as possible and forms makes it way easier that adding a row to a table and enter data cell by cell. Forms on a shared document would make out life much easier.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
Newton sucked.

There, I said it, the thing we were all thinking. Handwriting recognition was, is, and will always be a TERRIBLE way to input data into a device.

This is at least better than Newton, because it has a keyboard you can use like a sane person.

Handwriting recognition is a bug, not a feature.

Clearly, not everyone was thinking the same since Apple decided it was a great idea to add it to the iPad. Not to mention, research has shown that people who take handwritten notes retain information better than people who type.

Besides, where did I say that handwriting recognition should be the primary input method? Read my post again. If Apple’s going to sell an expensive stylus and make handwriting recognition and gestures and option, they could have adopted Newton’s comprehensive, well-thought-out system instead of offering the current half-baked system they have today.

Oh, and Newton had an external keyboard just like iPad. Newton didn’t fail because it sucked. It failed because of its form factor; too big to fit into a pocket and too small to replace notepads. The software, however, was way ahead of its time. Many technologies you’re using today... Siri intelligence, data detectors, handwriting recognition, object recognition, drag and drop everywhere, simplified menus, wirelessly transferring files/data, etc. were introduced on Newton.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2012
It really does seem like scribble is for adding data only and not removing it. You can scribble out a whole word but that’s about it. I did find out that you can circle a word to select it. Still single characters are not possible.

Interesting... in a bad way. So it appears Apple has given us 3 ways to select text... double tap, draw a circle and tap and hold... and only the first method works reliably which begs the question, why even offer the other 2? Also, what if I wanted to draw a circle around a word to highlight it for someone? Newton was tap and hold. That worked consistently for text and objects.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
For the files i work numbers is a pretty enough software but my issue is we are using pc in the company and it is ms office installed. There is no pc version of numbers and All files i get i edit from collegues are excel files. So compability is the key answer.

in comparisan google spreadsheets offers far better compability than numbers with ms files.
Since it seems you primarily have to work with Excel spreadsheets, is there a reason not to just use Excel? Seems like they would have Office 365 credentials for their employees to use?

glindon

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Shared collaboration. It doesn’t work unfortunately, we need to add data as fast as possible and forms makes it way easier that adding a row to a table and enter data cell by cell. Forms on a shared document would make out life much easier.
Yeah, I searched through the help document in Numbers and it specifically says that forms don’t work on shared sheets. Such a strange choice on Apple’s part.

Reactions: iDento

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Since it seems you primarily have to work with Excel spreadsheets, is there a reason not to just use Excel? Seems like they would have Office 365 credentials for their employees to use?

because ms office suite in mac is not stable and fast. And not so well integrated with mac os.

it is consuming too much system resources.

i am using apple mail and when i need to copy paste a table from excel sprearsheet to mac mail it cannot keep the source style.I have to copy table to numbers and from numbers to mac mail to make it look exactly same.

An-apple-a-day

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
Does anybody know how to revert/restore iWork documents (stored in iCloud) to previous versions on iOS?

The method of selecting a document within an app (e.g., Numbers) and clicking a clock icon to display all stored versions seems to be gone. Also, the help documentation within Numbers still shows that method, while the Apple Support document covering that functionality is flagged as having been archived and no longer maintained.

That ability is definitely still there on Mac OS (and it works). It can also be done via the web on iCloud.com.

I'm on 13.7 and have the latest versions of Keynote, Numbers, Pages.

__

nvm. The little clock face icon only shows up after clicking "Select" when viewing docs from the "Browse" view (bottom right). I was browsing from "Recents" -> "See All" view (which looks pretty much identical to the "browse" view). Lame.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.