Apple Upgrade Program - What happens if you choose to upgrade between 12 and 24 months?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jawnathin, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Jawnathin macrumors 6502

Question about those participating in the Apple Upgrade Program. It is my understanding that after 12 months of payments you are eligible to trade it in for another phone. If you choose not to and you have made 24 months of payments, then you own that phone and your 'contract' is complete.

What happens when you trade in for an upgrade at 18 months of payments? Does the extra 6 months go as a credit against the new phone? Are you refunded? Is that money now gone?

Thanks.

2. Sheboygan macrumors member

Sheboygan

The way I read the Apple IUP contract:

If the iPhone you want is available at 12 months you upgrade normally- starting a new contract & pay-off on the old loan via the trade-in.

If the iPhone you wanted was available at 12 months but you waited until 18 months, it's the same because you used the first iPhone during those six months. No refund necessary and the trade-in is used to pay off the original loan.

If the iPhone you want is announced but not available at 12 months and you are eligible for an upgrade, Apple will have Citizens One refund the extra payments between the 12 months and the shipment of the upgrade device. This is about a month after the new contract starts.

3. bencjedi macrumors 6502

Can you pay off the remaining 12 months, keep the old phone and start a new IUP on a new iPhone?

4. Sheboygan macrumors member

Sheboygan

Yes. You can pay off the balance at any time and you're done with the loan contract. That does mean starting new as opposed to upgrading.

5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

In my opinion if you don’t upgrade in month 12, you might as well pay off the rest of the phone and try to sell yourself. You’ll get more money than what you’ll pay and start a new iUP.