Apple Upgraded My 2007 MacBook To the 13" MBP For FREE!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maserati7200, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Yesterday I went to the new Apple Store on the Upper West side because my macbook had one vertical line of pixels stuck at green (see here). The genius (he was an awesome guy, btw, like we were having a good convo) said they might have to replace the board if its a graphics problem, or the LCD if the problem lies there. Then I commented, "wow, that would be the 3rd logic board replacement this computer went through". Then he asked me how many repairs this computer had, and I didn't remember but I knew it was a lot. He looked it up -- I had 17 parts replaced over the past 2 years. He said this machine is obviously defective and he offered me a new computer in exchange for the old one, I was reluctant and said "the only problem is that the new plastic Macbooks don't have firewire, and I need firewire" and he said "okay so we'll give you the 13" MacBook Pro" -- I couldn't refuse ;). We went through some papers and stuff, and about a half hour later, I walked out with a 13" MBP.

I have to say, this is soooo much better than my white macbook. I listen to music a lot and full volume on my old one is about half on this one, and the bass is excellent. The screen -- night and day, colors pop, and it's A LOT brighter. What's even better is that my old computer was only expandable up to 2 GB of RAM (technically 3.3 GB), now it goes up to 8GB. Best of all, video playback, editing, and anything else graphics intensive speeds up dramatically with this 9400M. I had a GMA 950 before this, and it would beach ball in iPhoto, iMovie, and my computer would heat up watching 720p video. Overall, this computer is A LOT better than my old one.

And yes, I know. They're probably upgrading them to Arrandale in a few weeks. Well, I don't really care that much because this computer is still really great, and I had no idea they would do an exchange anyway. I'm happy with my computer.

Old: 13" White MacBook (May 2007) 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM (came with 1GB) 120 GB HDD GMA 950
    New: 13" MacBook Pro (June 2009) 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 160GB HDD 9400M

2. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

3. Maserati7200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

Thanks! And don't you worry, I am! :D:)

4. acurafan macrumors 6502a

17 parts replaced, and you're happy? :confused: good googly, if i had that many repairs it'd be my last friggin mac. :mad:

i've never had that many PC parts failed in my life. i dunno about some of the apple fan base but i do not take anything positive out of your situation; when i purchase something i expect it to work (yes, i know parts fail) and not see support for the life of the product! (within reason).

5. Maserati7200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

To be fair, most of these parts were replaced out of being nice. last September when my optical drive failed, they replaced the board, hard drive, keyboard, and optical drive. They replaced a lot more parts than needed on many services. I only took it in for service a 4 -5 times. 95% of the time everything worked flawlessly. Bt i definitely had a faulty machine, none of the other macs I used were ever that bad. And I'm not a "fan" of Apple, I just like their products.

6. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I agree. My Macbook Pro is probably the most unreliable computer I've seen. Granted, my friends' computers probably have problems that they don't mention, but still. I'm trying to get people to switch, but it's kind of hard when my computer is as screwed up as it is.

7. hackum macrumors regular

I agree, this sound scary. 17 parts... I have a PC dekstop which I bought in 2003 (one of the cheapest configurations there was) and it is still running strong, without any replacements.

Let us know how the Pro does, I am getting one of these, or next-gen.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Congrats on the upgrade to the 13" MacBook Pro - sounds like you definitely deserved it! :)

9. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

10. Greenman85 macrumors regular

if they upgrade to arrandale withing 14 days they should let you exchange it for the new version. i bought mine in late may and in early june they came out with the 09s and they let me exchange and gave me 26 dollars back because of the price drop.

11. Maserati7200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

I don't have the box, though. The genius said they needed the box to ship the old computer back to cupertino, so he unboxed the computer and gave me the CD's and stuff.

12. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Why would they let him upgrade anyway? They gave him the closest mac to his old one that they could.

13. TheWelshBoyo macrumors 6502

Because he needed Firewire and the new MacBook doesn't have Firewire.

14. DaReaper macrumors member

now thats good customer service... you got lucky!!

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Nice!

Apple has always been awesome every time I have dealt with them. Thats sucks your original macbook was a def. 17 parts is a bit high but not surprising. (I work in IT and see defective machines all the time).

Thats awesome you have a new MBP. I have the 15 inch but love the 13 inch (if only it had a dedicated vid card).

16. Maserati7200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

Thanks! BTW, coming from a GMA 950, this 9400M that so many people say isn't powerful enough, is a huge improvement over the previous gen.

17. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Make sure you buy Applecare on this new machine and you'll get 5+ years of service for the price of 3, and a new computer! :D It's why we buy Applecare, isn't it? Great peace of mind.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm on my first "major" repair (screen replacement) and one "minor" repair (battery depleting too fast) though I pressed for a logic board replacement in response to an error I got with the AHT. (rubs hands together) I can't wait for them to introduce the new chipset and have something else break down. Hopefully I can get the 17 inch because I (legitimately) need an expresscard slot.

Honestly though, I wish my machine just worked :/ It's a serious PITA to take out my SSD every time something goes wrong.

19. Maserati7200 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

That's why they gave me a new computer, because I had AppleCare. If I didn't, tough luck for me :(:D

20. tkboss88 macrumors member

i love my computer but......

that's awesome that they would actually do that for you!! hope you enjoy your computer!!

i love my computer and all, buuuut i think it is unreliable... i have a 13" MBP. i had 3 repairs since i first bought it in july. in about 5 months.... 3 repairs.... THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE!! 1 logic board replaced 3 months into having it because it was "half fried" (if that makes any sense.. but that's what the genius said) 1 fan replacement about the same time as logic board. 1 audio component replaced 1 week after the logic board because it also somehow got fried... NOW MY SUPERDRIVE MAKES FUNNY NOISES WHEN I PUT IN CDS AND DVDS!! what the hell??!! i mean COME ON!!! WHERE IS THE QUALITY?! granted, they repaired everything for free, but that's ridiculous!! i wanna complain my way into getting a 15 inch MBP instead!

21. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

This is the point where some people on this forum begin to annoy me. I honestly think some people invent problems with their computer in their imagination so they can try and get it replaced. :mad:

22. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It's not like you can get Apple to replace your machine if you beg/kick/scream.
    If your display has been replaced, logic board killed over and cd drive won't burn disks (or other issues) than I can only imagine what would happen to your machine after your three (or one) year is up. It might just blow up :D

Besides i've had a hard time just trying to get the guys at the Genius Bar to even acknowledge I have an issue. I've started recording occurrences on my iphone.

23. tkboss88 macrumors member

Dude.. I'm not inventing problems. If I was indeed inventing them, then why would they replace everything?? The only reason why I would want to get a different model is because the 13" that I have is failing and I want piece of mind that my future laptop will not be lke this. It's apple apologists like you that makes apple rich. If I have a problem I'm going to get it resolved, not just think it is supposed to be like that. I don't know what you would do but I can tell you that I will not just say "its ok!! Apple knows best"