Apple upgraded my 2G to a 3G for free, but what if I don't tell AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djcraze, Oct 22, 2008.

1. djcraze macrumors regular

djcraze

So, I complained to Apple awhile back about some BS wiht my 2G iPhone. They agreed to upgrade me to a 3G free of charge. They told me I need to contact AT&T about the upgrade (so they can charge me more).. But.. .what if i don't tell them? Apple is shipping me the 3G iPhone in the mail.

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

AT&T will know by the IMEI that it isn't a 2g. What they chose to do is their call.

3. moka macrumors 6502a

then its simple, you have a 3G iphone that you can only use EDGE with... ;)

4. auggie2k macrumors member

auggie2k

Haha burn!

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You should receive your next bill with an $18 activation fee and $30 data plan...:eek:

6. djcraze thread starter macrumors regular

djcraze

gah.. I don't have 3G in my area, so having just edge would be fine ;). But okay, I guess I'll call them up and tell them..

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I thought I didn't have 3G coverage at first, but that was b/c I had WiFi connected all the time. Sometimes I'll turn off the WiFi, just to check my 3G coverage and I'll get 2-3 bars on average, and sometimes 4 bars.

The $18 activation fee is a onetime charge...:(

8. djcraze thread starter macrumors regular

djcraze

Um.. They gave me another SIM card with the 3G... and my phone activated :-\.. Is that possible??

9. ec51 macrumors 6502

hahaha...

Old iphone plan works with the 3g...and connects through 3g...FYI

10. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I'm confused. You can't see how many bars of 3G you're getting without turning wifi off? All that disappears with wifi on is the 3G icon -- your bars should always visible.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I think he means that you can't see the "E" icon or "3G" icon if Wifi is connected because the Wifi icon takes the place of where EDGE or 3G would be. Of course you can see how many bars you have, but how would you know of those are 3G bars or Edge bars or GPRS bars for that matter?

12. App1€ macrumors regular

How did you swing that one?

Oh and there have been reports on here of people who have been "audited" by AT&T so be careful

13. sfh macrumors regular

edge

isn't that what we have now ... for reals i dont get it...

14. djcraze thread starter macrumors regular

djcraze

I had a lot of issues with the 2G phone, mainly with the SIM card slot and the Vibrate toggle switch. They ahd replaced my 2G phone 3 times.. and then I had a permeant negative black effect on the last replacement so I just asked to be upgraded; which they did :).

Also, I called AT&T and asked hypothetically what they would do. The guy said if I used my previous SIM Card, then it would read as a 2G iphone and I just wouldn't be able to connect to 3G; and AT&T wouldn't know the difference :). So YEY! haha

15. moka macrumors 6502a

impossible without a 3G plan....

16. specify macrumors regular

It's the phone that determines whether you can use 3G or not, not the plan.

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That is correct!

18. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Right. But every time I wake up my phone, I see a 3G icon for a brief period before the wifi connects. At that point, even though I can't see the 3G icon anymore, I know I'm still connected to 3G. There's no reason to turn OFF wifi unless you have a problem with your connection flipping back and forth randomly between 3G and Edge.

19. djcraze thread starter macrumors regular

djcraze

... I see how this thread got off topic, but anyways. I ended up having to upgrade my plan and tell AT&T. I got a text message and an email from AT&T telling that I needed to upgrade my plan to avoid extra fees.. All in all, I'm only paying an extra $10 a month..

20. ec51 macrumors 6502

I find that funny considering Im holding a 3G iPhone on a 2G plan.

21. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Can you elaborate please? What is required in order to do so? Are you able to fully use 3G?

22. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

AT&T or any 3G carrier for that matter does NOT know what internet service you are using. That's why there is no EDGE plan for iPhone 3G users. You can go without getting caught if you aren't using megaloads of internet. It's been this way for a longggggggggggg time now.

23. stanleywinthrop macrumors member

So, you calling this guy a liar?

24. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

That is if they catch on. I was basically stating that you can be paying for a $20 EDGE plan and get 3G service.

25. djcraze thread starter macrumors regular

djcraze

This is what the e-mail said that I got from AT&T:
    Weird thing, I had the 2G data plan.. So IDK.. I didn't want to fool with AT&T to much.. an extra $10 a month isn't that bad... (even though I dont have 3G service <_<)

-- Added in VIA Edit --
    Also, I checked online when I got this email to see what phone was registered with my account. Sure enough, it had changed from "Apple iPhone" to "Apple iPhone 3G".. So either they keep track of this stuff VIA the IMEI like Flhusky said above.. Or Apple snitched to AT&T, or the guy I talked to about a "hypothetical situation" changed it over... I'm going to go ahead and assume they deduced it was from my IMEI.. Even though when I called to upgrade my plan, they had the wrong IMEI on file and it wouldn't let the rep upgrade me to the 3G plan... So, I guess that does leave someone snitching :-\.. Oh well.