Apple upgrading powerbook after ordering

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cwedl, Sep 15, 2003.

  1. cwedl macrumors 65816


    Jun 5, 2003
    In my last post I mentioned that I have odered a 12" powerbook, I received an e-mail from apple saying that it could take up to 3 weeks to ship my powerbook.

    If Apple update their powerbooks at Paris Expo,

    A)would I recieve an e-mail saying that I would receive the updated version?

    B)would they give me the older version?

    C)Or would they just send me the updated version without contacting me?

    Another thing I am off to university in 2 weeks there would me no chance getting it before I go off.
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    if they gave you an upgrade, i imagine they will give you at least a notice. but you ordered quite a while ago so not sure what will happen. i'd not get your hopes up and be pleasantly surprised if you receive an updated version...

    edit: i saw that your ordered BTO with 60 gb. that's part of the delay... and will make it less likely that you will receive an updated version..?
  3. tomf87 macrumors 65816


    Sep 10, 2003
    When I order my iMac last year before Jaguar was announced, my system waited for a few weeks and laid around in the building process. I went ahead and ordered a copy of Jaguar, because my system was order with 10.1.

    However, the night Jaguar was released, my system shipped and I received my iMac with Jaguar as well!

    Software is much different than hardware, but I just wanted to share the similar dilemma and the outcome.
  4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

    Jul 18, 2002
    If you are concerned Apple will upgrade the PB at Apple Expo but still ship the old one, you could always cancel your order then wait a day and see if Apple announces new PBs. If they do, then place a new order. If the don't re-place your old order. Either way you're gonna wait. Nothing to lose.
  5. cadester macrumors newbie

    Aug 28, 2003
    I'm in the same situation. My 12" PB that I ordered on 8/28 is now scheduled to ship on 9/26 (original estimate was 9/9, then it was pushed back to 9/12 and then finally 9.26). I spoke with Apple and they assured my that I would be able to take advantage of the education rebate even though the fine print claims you have to take possession of it before 9/27.

    Also, the email they sent about the shipping delay clearly states that I can cancel or change my order up until the time it ships. So, if new PBs are announced at Paris, I believe you can call in and change your order (mine was BTO as well, but Apple still claims I can change/cancel the order before the item ships).

    That's good news as I'd like a 15" if it's upgraded tomorrow.
  6. Macpoops macrumors 6502

    Jan 15, 2002
    Back when i got my powerbook... i ordered it the friday before they rolled out the 667s with the combo drive. My order was for a 667 with the DVD-ROm and with 768 megs of ram. They did not send me any notice but i did call when i saw that the combo drive was being offered. 10 days later i received a 667 Powerbook with combo and 1 GIG of memory. worked out for me. But this may be different because they would be changing things around instead of just adding a new drive
  7. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816


    Jun 5, 2003
    I spoke to the Apple store about 1 hour ago and they sad that will upgrad for me so I am happy. I have just have to wait for an e-mail of confirmation, otherwise I will be back on the phone.

  8. TheFallGuy macrumors member


    Aug 20, 2003
    Last week I got tired of the waiting and so I ordered a 15" PB. This morning I got an email saying that they upgraded it for free. I'm so happy!!!
  9. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    excellent. congrats and enjoy!!
  10. cwedl thread starter macrumors 65816


    Jun 5, 2003

    Good for you!

    If my powerbook is shipped within 6 days like it says, I will not get it in time for university, which means I will have to take my mothers PII 266mhz wintel computer, what a contrast!!:)

    secondly I ordered software on a seperate order, It was shipped on 6th September, and I still haven't received it. According to shippment tracker it has been in luxembourg since 9th september, do you think I should phone apple? Even though it says I should leave 9 days for delivery!!

Share This Page