Apple used Verizon 4G LTE for the demo, does it mean it is better?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seasurfer, Mar 7, 2012.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

Apple always used AT&T in the past, but this time, they used Verizon, it just makes one wonder if Verizon LTE is better than AT&T?

I wonder if they have tested both and realized that AT&T speed is not that impressive at all and therefore used Verizon. These are all my guess. Please share your input.

2. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

Yes that's a pretty good indication that Verizon is the better carrier.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

They used both in the keynote. They used AT&T for the email test, and then Verizon for the Vimeo video test. You can tell because on the slides it said "3G HSPA" and "3G EV-DO", which is AT&T and Verizon's 3G networks, respectively.

4. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

That even make me wonder if Verizon is the better one? Obviously the video that was played was larger than the email played?

5. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

its safe to assume verizon will be better in the long run. their lte network is more mature and they have more money, spectrum to continue upgrading. The true test will be when both networks are up and running with iPhone lte users. right now verizon has more customers on lte since they offer more devices.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Both networks are new and capacity hasn't or can't really be assessed at this point. Also, Apple doesn't endorse one carrier over the other (take this from the fact that they used both carrier's networks for their demos).

So, in simple terms, Apple doesn't tell you or will tell you such nonsense.

7. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

I'd wager both networks had eNBs installed into the center just for Apple's use.

9. nizmoz macrumors 65816

10. JohnCalif macrumors member

I don't think you can make that assumption. The Verizon LTE network is more mature, but AT&T is building theirs. Ultimately what will matter is what is available at your locations or where you travel. Also when LTE is not available, Verizon will fall back to a slower system, EV-DO Rev A, than will AT&T.

I sometimes use a Verizon LTE mobile hotspot, and even with a fairly strong signal in an established LTE market, LA, the unit often gets only the slower system.

11. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

going forward, LTE is the same technology on all carriers, so the 3g benefit ATT has had is because of their gsm network vs the cdma evdo 3g solution.

Once ATT has enough users on their network, their speeds won't be any different. Without any users, both networks are capable of the same speeds.

If i had to bank on a carrier, i would bank on verizon. They have more money, future specturm and also the need to quickly implement lte and also continue to advance it.

I don't work for either, so its all my assupmtion.

12. pavvento macrumors 6502

This is why I ultimately opted for AT&T. As much as I hate their voice coverage in SF their data on 'faux 4G' is real good, so I'd rather fall back to that than fall back to Ev-do.

13. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Hmm they used both ATT and Verizon in the keynote. The first LTE demo was ATT the second LTE demo was verizon

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

15. BillGates69 macrumors newbie

Do you site Fox News for all your net worth and income statements? At&t has its pockets lined with gold while Verizon operates in the negative.

16. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I went with AT&T.
    I like the hotspot but that is more important for me on my phone and I expect to get the iPhone 5 when that is released.

The 3/30 data plan is what sold me. One extra gig for the same price on a LTE plan is a huge deal.

But something tells me Verizon will meet that before next week.

I guess I have a couple of weeks to swap them out if I want to.

17. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Verizon have more money than AT&T?! HAHAHA thanks for the laugh

18. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

That speedtest is bogus. Those might be 3G speeds on Verizon, but no LTE speeds. Besides Verizon network has more people than ATT. Once you have the same traffic on both networks, then you will be able to see which is faster. But honestly if it's 15mbps vs 18mbps can you really tell which page loads faster? It will be very hard to notice the difference.

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

20. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Ha Ha. Funny! Let's have a race then. I'll download a movie on my Verizon iPhone 4S and you can download on your "new" 4G iPhone 4S. Let's see who wins. By the way the movie is 4gb. Hope you dont have cap. :D :D

21. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

Lets compare it to my ATT LTE Thunderbolt.

Oh yeah i forgot, even this is macrumors, even if my android downloaded the movie 20 times faster, your iPhone would still be "better" ;)

22. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

The Verizon iPhone 4S only supports 3G...not LTE. So chances are high you'll lose any race run on a Verizon iPhone 4S.

23. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

What about on a 4G mifi we have in the office?

----------

Probably not since you will be reduced to 0.10 - 0.30 once you hit 3gb on AT&T. I can hold a steady 2.5mbps all day with no data throttling.