Apple/Verizon wouldn't sell me a phone because I'm 'too young'

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cowbellallen, Feb 10, 2011.

1. cowbellallen macrumors regular

I went to the Willow Bend Apple Store over in Plano, TX tonight to pickup an iPhone that I had reserved yesterday. I ended up coming home empty handed, as the did not want to sell an iPhone to me because of my age and credit history.

I was there for around 30 minutes, about 10 of which I picked my plan and signed some electronic forms. They asked for my driver's license and Social Security Number several times, which I felt uncomfortable giving but ultimately gave to them. The other 20 minutes were spent waiting for Verizon to activate the phone.

After awhile they moved me to another part of the store to tell me that they didn't want to sell me an iPhone because I was 'too young'. Verizon said that I don't have a credit history and they thought it was strange that a 23 year old would be buying an individual plan. They said that if I had a hard-copy of my original SSN, they could fax it to another Verizon location and see if Verizon might approve a contract. They said I would have to go to another location next week in order to fax it, because they didn't have a fax machine there. They wouldn't even guarantee that giving them my social security card would cause Verizon to approve me for an iPhone.

Frankly, I'm really ticked off. I just wanted to buy an iPhone... I feel really let down that they wouldn't sell it to me... Sigh.

2. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

This is the first I've ever heard of this, and sounds ridiculous. Usually, based on credit history, if you haven't established one, you could pay a deposit. But I've never heard of someone being flat out denied due to their age.

When I was 18 I was on my own contract on AT&T. I've had Verizon contracts also, and I've never had a problem. I'm 21 and have a family plan now with my boyfriend, and we're only in our early 20's. This is really strange.

3. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

pay your surgeon very well to break the spell of aging

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

If the credit history is the main issue, they could have asked you for a security deposit, they will keep the amount until you have enough time in the contract or your credit score improves, or the contract expires, then they will give you the money back.
    Can you ask for a cosigner? Have you check your credit report?
    Ask them what is the minimum credit score that they are aiming for and see what the gap is.

5. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

The first part is definately true. as far as the second part goes, I got an AT&T account on my 18th birthday and had to pay a security deposit. Its just weird that they would deny it, and say your too young, when your not. A cellphone would help build credit in cases I would assume.

If you send it in and they deny you, you should first ask them to send you, in writing, why they believe your credit score would make you so much of a risk that they would refuse service. Secondly, I would check your credit report to make sure there is no fraudulant accounts, or any kind of block on your report.

6. Geffen, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

Geffen macrumors 6502

I would be leary of this Apple location asking for a hard copy of your social security and then wanting to fax it to another location that doesn't even make sense. You should call Verizon and talk to them about this and see if this is their usual procedure, otherwise i would think the store would've just told you flat out that your denied and come back at another time or come up with a security deposit.

7. TheOriginalKi macrumors 6502

Down with the MAN!

Seriously though, I'm sorry you couldn't get your iPhone today. Don't give up.

8. thetexan macrumors 6502a

You went to an Apple store, so they can't do anything for you if Verizon kicks back the order. Apple also I bet can't take deposits.

Just go try to buy the phone at a Verizon store.

9. cowbellallen thread starter macrumors regular

There were 2 Verizon employees at the store who told me they wouldn't sell a phone to me because of my age. If I can get off work early tomorrow I will try a Verizon store, but I don't think that is going to help. The more I think about this, the more upset I get at the situation... I can't believe this.

10. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Wow, I wouldn't expect a flat out rejection. When I was 18, I had no credit history. I tried to sign up with Verizon, and they wanted a $1,000 deposit. I said screw that and went to the Cingular store. I needed no deposit and haven't had a problem since.

11. patp Guest

the only reason they wouldn't sell you the phone at the discounted rate is if there were some issues with your credit.

do you have any past credit issues that need to be resolved? can't fathom why they would pass on selling to you unless there was a specific problem.

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

When I saw this thread title, I was expecting the OP to be 14.

Lack of credit history, or bad history, I could see... but to be flat-out told at 23 that you're "too young" to have a cell phone makes no sense. I'd go back and ask to speak to a manager.

I think I was 21 when I signed my first cell phone plan, but it doesn't really make a difference how old someone is, as long as they can pay the bills, imo...

13. Rajani Isa, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011

Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

What's worse is that it was too young for an individual plan - do they assume everyone's started a family by 18? Or that you would be living at home and thus on mom and pops?

14. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

Wow that sucks man, ive been through 4 different providers with my own plan and everything at the age of 18, im now 22

15. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Wow, that really sucks. I've had a cell phone from my 18th birthday. Got the Palm Treo 650 with Sprint, and I paid a $250 deposit that was returned to me in six months. Crazy that you're getting rejected.

Go to the Verizon company store. I have a feeling that you'll get a more qualified, knowledgeable response from them. They might be able to provide you service with a deposit, whereas an Apple store may not be qualified to do such things. I don't know, but you may want to check it out before you give up.

If they tell you the same thing, it may be time to Rethink Possible.

16. mizvalorie macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I got my ATT iP4 there and they didn't say a thing about my age. I was 23 at the time.

17. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

wow at 18 I had a contract with cingular. at 20 I was approved for 5 lines on verizon. at 22 I was approved for 5 lines on tmobile. 23 is plenty old enough for a single line.

18. james92se macrumors 6502a

People being smug/condescending at Willow Bend? Sounds about right ;)

In all seriousness though, it sure sounds to me like it's just a flat a terrible credit issue and they're trying to be nice by saying you're "too young" rather than simply be blunt and say your credit is terrible. Or maybe even something goofy with your Social Security number (fraud alert? stolen identity?). Them asking for it over and over seems a little odd.

19. Vihzel macrumors 6502

This is highly unusual. HIGHLY unusual. I was able to get my own individual plan at 19 years old on Verizon and had to pay $300 or $400 deposit because of no credit history. The deposit was returned back to me eventually and that was that. No questions asked.

20. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

21. Donny Jepp macrumors member

Seriously? I was 18 when I walked into AT&T and got myself an individual iPhone plan. I had no credit history.

22. cowbellallen thread starter macrumors regular

I just spoke with an Apple representative over the phone and she sounded really concerned that they wanted to make a copy of my Social Security Number to be faxed to another location. She told me not to give them the original card, and to talk to a manager at Verizon about it.

I'm starting to get real worried about the situation.... I gave the guys there my SSN for basically no reason. Who knows what will happen now.... You hear stories all the time about corporations that get data compromised, and they want to make a copy of my SSN..... This is making me sick.

23. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

the copy thing is weird. but they def always ask for your ssn to sign you up for a new contract. they asked for mine when I switched from tmobile to att. then asked for the last 4 when I upgraded my the 3GS to 4

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am with you.
    23 is not to young for ones own cell plan. Given that most people get out of college by the time they are 22-23 (5 years here) that means they generally are on their own at that point. Need their own phones and plans. I know when I got out one of the first things I did was get my own plan.

I could see credit history being and issue but requiring the SS card is a load BS.