Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Video Camera and iChat Updates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
ThinkSecret reports that Apple is working on video conferencing in the new iChat as well as a possible video camera introduction:

While many specific details are largely unconfirmed, multiple sources also suggest that the company plans to announce some sort of video camera to complement the video-enabled iChat.

Previous confirmation of Video Conferencing iChat appeared in February, and vague reports of a communication device.

JohnStrass

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Miami, USA
More than a webcam? I doubt it...

I initially thought this would be lunacy to have Apple compete in the world of videocams. However, a cheap ($50) webcam under the apple brand with apple software/support would be a great addition. I am a fickle use, and would pay the apple premium for a no-hassle product. Good move.

Comment

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Rebirth of the QuickTake? Or are talking about something more like a cheap webcam, here?

First Think Secret tells us about some kind of radically different OLED screen iPod, and now this. The video conferencing is no surprise, but some kind of camera unit? Interesting...

Comment

Swinny

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2002
Oxford, UK
Fantastic...nice Apple branded little digital camera type thingy that plugs into my new iPod for strorage and talks perfectly to iChat and iPhoto...great stuff.

....bet it never appears.

Comment

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
Originally posted by Swinny
Fantastic...nice Apple branded little digital camera type thingy that plugs into my new iPod for strorage and talks perfectly to iChat and iPhoto...great stuff.

....bet it never appears.
You've gotta love optimism, though. ;)

Seriously (just to speculate a bit), if Apple made an actual hard drive based digital camera it would be the best thing to happen to digital cameras in years.

Remember Steve said he isn't entering the Phone market (thank God!) because Apple can't improve phones enough. But I'm pretty sure Apple could do some great things for cameras.

Here's hoping! :D

Comment

kansast

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Apple's been busy !

Hard to imagine what Panther will be like.. seems like they've been busy with the updates.. Updated iTunes, updated Quicktime, iSync, iMovie, suspect an updated Safari soon ? and on and on. Trying my best to hold out for a new machine.. hopefully 970 chip ? and new Panther OS ..

Comment

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Video camera built into the monitor of the iMac, and Studio Displays, the top fram of the screen on the iBook and PowerBook. Like the Sony VAIO Picture Book.

Maybe this is what the new port on the PowerMac motherboards are for, because the ADC USB connections wouldbe too slow, and then you would be required to buy an Apple monitor.

Comment

kylos

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2002
MI
This has been apparent ever since someone found the camera icon unused in the iChat resources.

Comment

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
For what it's worth, TS also mentions an iPhoto revision tied to the new camera. Perhaps it is more than a webcam then? (Or at least a webcam that is capable of taking higher resolution images than the typical cheap webcam?)

Also, it doesn't sound like we'll have long to wait -- TS says development on this stuff is to be wrapped up before WWDC.

This is looking to be a very exciting month. Look at the rumors on the MR front page -- a bunch of interesting stuff.

Comment

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Also notice that the article states that there will be support for addition IM protocols! Yahoo? MSN? ICQ? Most likely it's ICQ since AOL owns it but the other too would be great.

Comment

ldkaplan

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
N. Georgia
Must be able to chat with winblows

Worthless if I can't video chat with peecee users. I love my Mac, but lets say that many of my friends and family are not as enlightened.

Comment

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I don't think there's anything that prevents any mac user from video conferencing with PC users. It's all about the software, so if there's a mac/pc version of the software there's no issue.

Comment

Sonofhaig

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Greenvale, NY
Originally posted by robotrenegade
How about making iChat work better then just added more **** most of us won't use.

What's wrong with ichat as it is now?
And why wouldn't "most" of us use the new version?:eek:

Comment

electric

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I have been waiting for this,

I purchased a web cam about a year ago and found out it only worked for PC. I recently learned about the maccam plugin and was able to get the camera working with OS X. I then jumped on the net trying to find video conference software, only to find out there is no sound support. Hopefully the ichat/ camera rumor is true, so I can move on and bang my head against another wall. It wouldnt be so bad except I have one of those PC loving friends that likes to needle me about my love for the mac and is contantly asking me if my web cam works yet, of course when I say "no I havent found software yet" he replies with our favorite tune...."should have bought a PC". It would be nice to show and tell him how much more I love my mac.

Comment

ear2ear

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2002
Toronto
Re: More than a webcam? I doubt it...

Originally posted by JohnStrass
However, a cheap ($50) webcam under the apple brand with apple software/support would be a great addition.

Lets just say I won't get my hopes up for that price tag.:D

Comment

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
A simple Apple-made webcam is exactly what I've been waiting for... The few webcams that work on OS X are *ugly*. Something with some style that works with the iLife apps and iChat.

Comment

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
Im with robotrenegade on the fact they need to do a lot more to ichat then just add things (bu I do think video is something that should deffinitly be in it) because the stuff thats there now need a lot of work. First off the part about only typing into one line in annoying and I cant have a profile and I cant even check someones profile without putting them on buddy list (my buddy list is maxed at 200 so I kinda need that). There are plently of other things people of mentioned before also...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.