Apple Watch “Churn”

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by steelo3232, Sep 21, 2017.

1. steelo3232 macrumors regular

I bought the Apple Watch Series 2 and loved it and HATED IT MORE.... it drove me nuts to have to tote my phone around all over my office from floor to floor to truly get the absolutley best functionality out of the watch... so.. after three months I determined using it was pointless and sold it.

I have a Series 3 with LTE coming tomorrow, I hope it’s the answer. If not, I’ll sell that too and slap on my inherited Grandpas Breitling (I’m pretty sure it was a WW2 send home item) and call it a day.

I’d like honest thoughts here. How often do you plan to upgrade watches? I’m getting series 3 wth LTE because series 2 fell short for my needs. If one upgrades yearly on these things at nearly 500.00 with tax after 3 or 4 years you could get a hell of a nice time piece for 2-4K.

I’m not sure of what the resell value is on Apple watches.... but I can’t imagine these things lasting three years and the battery being close to what it was when a buyer first got it.

I realize the Apple Watch is still new tech but unlike phones, as far as I’m aware Verizon and ATT etc don’t let you “lease” a Apple Watch.... 500 a year and then trying to resell the thing to get the latest and greatest seems like a pain in the ass.

Again, I’m considering this my first Apple Watch because the frustrations for MY NEEDS in series two didn’t truly let me put it through its paces.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Typically people who upgrade will resell their old watch. So that upgrade cost is lessened.

Also, not everyone upgrades annually. Note all the S0 folks who skipped out and are upgrading this year.

*shrug* If it's not for you that's fine.

3. steelo3232 thread starter macrumors regular

I want it to be for me, that’s why I’m excited for tomorrow!! I was merely suggesting that 500.00 a year even if you sell the previous gen for half the purchase price means you lose 250.00 a year after 10 years in this cycle 2500 buys a nice time piece that would last a lifetime. I’m just throwing it out there that thus far, upgrading watches yearly is not as easy as doing the same with IPHONES

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I agree. I would say the Series 2 owners don't seem to be upgrading to the Series 3, but the first generation Apple Watch owners are upgrading to the Series 3. Mainly because the changes are significant between the two depending how somebody upgrades.

5. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I upgrade as I please. Don't have any pre-plan. I bought the original watch in stainless steel. I'm still using it to this day. Then I bought S2 NIKE for running. That serves me well too. The original one I wear for work since it's SS.
    Now I'm planning to sell the S2 and buy S3 LTE because for running it will be better, so obviously I like to have 2 watches at the same time. One is SS, and one is Sport. In this case I'm keeping my S0 and sell S2.

6. zerolight macrumors 6502

zerolight

I reckon every 2 or 3 years is a decent upgrade cycle. It's just a watch after all. I wore my Sea Dweller for 13 years straight (still love it) and then got an S0 and have hardly worn the "real" watch since. Still, I can't imagine not lugging my phone around the office - what if someone calls - I'm not gonna have a hands free voice call in the middle of the office. I'd not be comfortable leaving an expensive phone laying around either. It's not exactly lugging anyway - it fits in my pocket.

I've got an LTE on order even though right now my tariff won't support it. I figure the one use case for LTE is when I cycle where carrying a phone does feel a bit more awkward.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

You can apply that to many other things. There's a cost to enjoying newer tech, and people choose for themselves. For example, I don't subscribe to Apple Music or HBO, so right there's a new-watch-every-year more than paid for in the $25/mo I'm not spending on those. :)

8. steelo3232 thread starter macrumors regular

Valid point...

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

"Watch" is really a misnomer.. It's a wrist computer. Telling time is just one of the many functions.

10. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

I originally planned to upgrade my watch yearly just like I do my phone.... I still have my original version watches. maybe i'll get next year's watch????