Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Watch 4 SS ML at 469.99: is it a good buy?

Apple Watch 4 SS ML at 469.99: is it a good buy?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

stanza.richi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Now on Amazon.it for prime day: Apple Watch Series 4 Stainless Steel Gold, Gold Milanese Loop, 469.99.

I own now a Series 2 Silver Sport and I’m considering to update. It’s a good buy at this price? Wait an offer for Series 5?

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'd wait for an S5 or better. For me, the Always On Display was a game changer. I wouldn't buy an S4 at this point.

My S2, S3, and S4 were the only watches I've owned with a blank inactive display since I had a late 1970's LED digital watch.

With the S5 it was nice to get back to being able to simply glance at my wrist to see the time with no arm/wrist movement required.

Check Swappa.com. Check Apple's refurb store. Watch https://refurb-tracker.com/ for Apple refurbs.

Comment

stanza.richi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
I'd wait for an S5 or better. For me, the Always On Display was a game changer. I wouldn't buy an S4 at this point.

My S2, S3, and S4 were the only watches I've owned with a blank inactive display since I had a late 1970's LED digital watch.

With the S5 it was nice to get back to being able to simply glance at my wrist to see the time with no arm/wrist movement required.

Check Swappa.com. Check Apple's refurb store. Watch https://refurb-tracker.com/ for Apple refurbs.

Is AOD a really big thing for you?

Thanks but I'm not looking for a refurbed one. I'm hoping in a good deal with prime day or similar because I want a SS model but I don't want to pay full price for it (and I think that full price is simply too much for something that you have to change in 2-3 years, my two cents obviously) :)

Comment

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Is AOD a really big thing for you?

Yes. It may seem like not much a thing, and perhaps for many it isn't, but having regularly worn watches for decades, the blank inactive display (for me) was a step backwards in utility. One I tolerated because of the myriad other advantages. Yet when AOD became an option the choice was a no-brainer.

Thanks but I'm not looking for a refurbed one.
Why not?

Apple refurbs are indistinguishable from brand new, come with same warranty as new, and have the same return policy.

With the various Apple refurb computers and devices I've purchased over the years, the only differences from new have been the box and the price.

Comment

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
So I’m the type of person who upgrades my watch and my phone every year. I get that not everyone does that and that’s OK. A number of times I’ve tried to find good deals on phones and watches to help friends and family who are not the upgrade every year type of person. I’ve recommended devices that are a generation or two old for them because the prices tend to be much lower and it seems like a good deal.

But after doing that for a number of years what I have come to realize is that I am doing them a disservice. Because they are not the type who upgrade their devices every year that means that they will hang on to their phone or watch for several years. And if you are starting out with a device that’s 2 generations old and then keep it for 3 years then at that point the device will be 5 generations old and getting close to unusable.

Again, I totally get that people don’t want to upgrade every year and that’s a great choice to make financially. But if you are that type of person, then I think it’s worth spending a little extra to get a current product. That way three years from now your device will only be 3 generations old. Even 4 years from now it will only be 4 generations old. Not only will it be more likely to still be usable further down the line, but you’ll have had a better and faster and more featured device during those 4 years.

Comment

stanza.richi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Bought a new series 4 at 409€ on amazon.it. Thank you everybody for the opinions 👍🏻

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.