Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Watch 6 / Watch OS 7 Music App Issues

Phuz01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
I upgraded to the Apple Watch 6 (from a 3) last week, and while I've mostly been excited about the updates, I'm noticing some strange behavior in the Music app, to the point of where I deleted my music library (well, almost) from the watch and attempted to re-install. Here's what I've noted so far:
  • Despite having a 32GB drive, Music displayed a popup saying the media storage was maxed out after I added approximately 2GB of albums/songs/playlists.
  • I added 8 albums via the Music setting in the iPhone Watch app. After they were downloaded on the watch, they stopped displaying in the Watch Music app. However, when I deleted the other albums from the Watch Music app, the 8 I'd added were deleted as well.
  • After deleting everything, the Watch app showed that 1 album was still stored on the watch. This wasn't an album that I had added to my 3 or my 6, and even after I deleted it from my iPhone and deleted every song/album/playlist in the Watch Music app, this album stayed on the watch, though I got a message (Add this through the Phone's Music app) when I tried to play it.
While I'm sure some of this comes from transferring the content from my Apple Watch 3 instead of a doing a clean install, I'm surprised at how buggy the Music app is. Perhaps it's less so when you use Apple Music instead of a personal library of ripped CDs (I am not an Apple Music subscriber), but this isn't the experience I'm used to having with my Apple devices, and I'm not sure how best to move forward without wiping the watch and starting from scratch.

Is anybody else having these sorts of issues, or am I once again an edge case?

On the plus side, it takes a lot less time to add songs/albums/playlists to the 6 than it did to the 3...

Phuz01

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Not that this appears to have affected anybody else, but if you have music saved on your watch for offline use (specifically ripped files from your iTunes library as opposed to those downloaded from Apple Music) and you're updating to a new Apple Watch, it's best to start as a new watch instead of restoring from a backup containing those files. When I unpaired my watch and set it up from scratch, all the issues mentioned in the previous post were resolved.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.