Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
United States
"Most clock faces have a unique animation when you zoom in and out of the clock app with the Digital Crown:
The Solar face animates the watch app icon into the sun when zooming in"

This means that when you are on the home page, and you zoom into the clock app, with the digital crown, it animates so that the clock app icon slowly turns into the sun. Here's an example: http://i.imgur.com/IEdLmph.gifv

Reactions: JacksonCraig94

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Cover the face anytime on the watch to put the display to sleep.

It goes one step further—the next time you activate the display, it will be back at the watch face regardless of whether you were in an app when you covered the watch with your palm.

Karjar

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2015
This means that when you are on the home page, and you zoom into the clock app, with the digital crown, it animates so that the clock app icon slowly turns into the sun. Here's an example: http://i.imgur.com/IEdLmph.gifv

whats nice is what ever is the centre icon will open if the crown is turned, so if you slide the message app to centre and turn the crown the message app opens. Nice if you have big fingers lol

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
United States
It goes one step further—the next time you activate the display, it will be back at the watch face regardless of whether you were in an app when you covered the watch with your palm.

Oh interesting, I didn't know that. Usually I flick my wrist away from me to shut off the display. But when I raise my wrist usually after a few seconds, it would still be in the last used app, rather than the clock face. This method makes it go back to the clock face always.

Added that bit to the post as well.

whats nice is what ever is the centre icon will open if the crown is turned, so if you slide the message app to centre and turn the crown the message app opens. Nice if you have big fingers lol

Yep, it also works the other way around, the watch gives you a couple millisecond to zoom back out into the home screen. It's nice if you want to see if what that app is quickly and zoom back out if you don't want that app. You can only do that within a few milliseconds, but scrolling the digital crown down instead of pressing it, has a faster animation.

Last edited:

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Just figured out that in Calendar you can switch between list view and day view with a force touch.

In day view you can swipe left/right to change days.

A force touch also gives you the option of going back to Today.

mistersandman

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
In messages, force touch in a chat to bring up the option of replying, looking at the message details where you can see who's in the chat and even call them from there, and the last option is to share your location.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Great list, learnt a couple of useful things here!

One top tip I discovered (which for some people might be obvious) is about how to put on the sport band. After a couple of days struggling to attach it to my wrist using one hand, I realised that it's far easier to pop the metal stud through the band before you slide the rest of the band through the slot.

May be intuitive for some people but has saved me loads of time and frustration since switching to this method :D

Uh. There is an illustration telling how to put the band on, like this, in the box.

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
If you want to keep the watch face on longer, you can either keep rotating the crown or lightly keep a finger on an edge of the screen. If you activate the watch by pressing the crown or tapping the screen, it also stays lit longer (over 15 seconds as opposed to about 5 seconds when activated by the raising the wrist).

Last edited:

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
United States
If you want to keep the watch face on longer, you can either keep rotating the crown or lightly keep a finger on an edge of the screen. If you activate the watch by pressing the crown or tapping the screen, it also stays lit longer (over 15 seconds as opposed to about 5 seconds when activated by the raising the wrist).

That is very interesting, I tried this and couldn't even get it to shut off after two minutes, so I assume as long as you keep your finger there or keep rotating the crown, the screen will not shut off. That's pretty handy to know, thanks! Also added to the post.

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
That is very interesting, I tried this and couldn't even get it to shut off after two minutes, so I assume as long as you keep your finger there or keep rotating the crown, the screen will not shut off. That's pretty handy to know, thanks! Also added to the post.

Yes, holding a finger on the corner seems like it keeps the display going indefinitely (unfortunately, this requires the use of both hands). Once you let go, the screen remains lit over 15 seconds, which is a longer than when you activate the screen by raising your wrist.

A lot of people have say they'd like a way to set the timeouts or allow the display to remain on all the time. I personally am happy the way it is.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Something else I noticed, at the appropriate time the Maps glance shows the time it takes to get to home/work/school/frequent locations, just like the iPhone's today view in Notification Center. Tap it and the address is already filled in, ready for you to hit start. Pretty nice

daveday

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2014
Texting someone on their birthday, Apple Watch will offer 'Happy Birthday!' as the first 'canned' option.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I reported this thread to be stickied, and be made a community wiki so everyone can edit in their suggestions. Hopefully a mod can sticky this. :)

Staywhatyouare2

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Does anyone know how to set more than one timer? This was a feature that Apple said is possible on their website.

TigerStephie

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Not sure I have seen this one but swipe down to immediately dismiss a notification. I think this is only when you first see the notification come up but I don't know for sure. This one is great for emails or texts you don't want to reply to or want to scroll to the bottom to dismiss.

wepiii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2012
if you receive a text with a question, the answers will sometimes already be typed out for you as a quick response. For example, if someone sends you the message, "do you want to meet at my place, or at the park?" The quick response options will include "at the park" and "at your place" automatically.

Cjhooper

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
On the astronomy clock face if you go to the solar system view and double tap on the screen you will get a list of the names of the planets.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
Covering the screen is not silencing calls for me and the camera flash isn't working for me.

Are you putting your hand directly onto the screen or just over it? I *think* you have to put your hand directly onto the screen. That's what's worked for me.

Reactions: macdragonfl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.