Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applewatch2-250x296.jpg
Apple CEO Tim Cook reportedly said at the company's flagship Apple Store in Berlin that the Apple Watch launch in April will not be limited to the United States, according to retail employees in attendance that spoke with 9to5Mac.

Cook specifically confirmed that the Apple Watch will launch in Germany during the month of April, indicating that a wider international launch in other countries could be on the horizon. MacRumors previously reported that Apple is targeting an early April release date for the Apple Watch based on a source that has proved reliable.

The report corroborates that the Apple Watch may be released in the United States in early April, followed by Germany and other countries later in the month. The first wave of countries that Apple has often launched previous iPhones and iPads in typically includes the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore and Japan. Cook did not confirm that the Apple Watch would launch in April in all of those countries.

Apple Watch starts at $349 and will be available in three models: Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch and Apple Watch Edition. Apple is expected to provide more details about the wrist-worn device at its highly-anticipated "Spring Forward" media event on March 9th at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. MacRumors will be providing live coverage of the event, which should provide more specific pricing and release date information about Apple's first wearable device.

Article Link: Tim Cook: Apple Watch Launch in April Won't Be Exclusive to United States

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
If it gets released in China for the first wave (highly unlikely), then maybe those of us the the US will actually get a spot in a line at a store and get a Watch :confused:

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
producing enough to meet demand shouldn't be an issue, this isn't a high volume item like an iPhone. The issue is only if the demand is higher than they anticipate

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
Still makes me wonder if pre-orders will be available. I hope so! I sure as hell don't want to wait outside an Apple Store for hours, or wait for weeks while stock is restored. Taking a few minutes to pre-order at midnight is very effective.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
If it gets released in China for the first wave (highly unlikely), then maybe those of us the the US will actually get a spot in a line at a store and get a Watch :confused:

Apple has been advertising the Apple Watch in Chinese magazines so I'm guessing China will be in the initial launch or at least very close behind.

i5pro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
NNJ
I think that means..they overestimated the market, built way too many and need to sell them all.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Still makes me wonder if pre-orders will be available. I hope so! I sure as hell don't want to wait outside an Apple Store for hours, or wait for weeks while stock is restored. Taking a few minutes to pre-order at midnight is very effective.

Wait, you don't even want to try the watch on before you order it?

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I don't think they'll be queuing around the block for this so I'm sure if you want one, you'll get one.

Right. Good luck with that. Please tell me the last time Apple launched a new product line that was met with no line or crazy sales.

Waiting.

Waiting....

Yeah. I'll be waiting to pre-order the $500ish version as soon as it goes up. Sell my Pebble, and enjoy a fantastic watch with many capabilities.

Love all the naysayers. They do this everytime. Remember how bad the iPad was gonna be when it was 16x9 and a crazy $500? LOL.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I have been ready to buy until recently. I still want one but if the price list I saw is correct it will be about $450 for a space gray with black band. I'm not sure I'm prepared to pay that much for a watch or for a first generation watch. I have told myself yes but now, I'm not sure.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I think that means..they overestimated the market, built way too many and need to sell them all.

Or they are a multi-billion dollar company and know what they are doing and how many to pump out in the factory. They want to sell as many as possible. Stop with the conspiracy theories.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Wait, you don't even want to try the watch on before you order it?

No, welcome to the world of the internet. Where you can buy clothes and shoes online without trying on.

If it does't fit, I'll exchange. It's worked fine so far with my previous Pebbles and MetaWatch.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Right. Good luck with that. Please tell me the last time Apple launched a new product line that was met with no line or crazy sales.

Waiting.

Waiting....

Yeah. I'll be waiting to pre-order the $500ish version as soon as it goes up. Sell my Pebble, and enjoy a fantastic watch with many capabilities.

Love all the naysayers. They do this overtime. Remember how bad the iPad was gonna be when it was 16x9 and a crazy $500? LOL.

You'll get people queuing on day 1, but it won't be on the same level as the queues that form for iPhone's. I reckon perhaps 10% of what the iPhone gets, if that.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
You'll get people queuing on day 1, but it won't be on the same level as the queues that form for iPhone's. I reckon perhaps 10% of what the iPhone gets, if that.

Ok? So they will still sell more Watches on the first day then probably every other CE (LG, Samsung, Pebble) has sold to date. Oh no, poor Apple. What will they do...

10% of people who own an iPhone getting a watch is HUGE. Samsung only wishes that was the case.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Obviously it won't be confined to the US. Why would they need popup stores in Paris and London if that were the case?

It is very likely that the watch will be introduced in Apple's main traditional markets first (UK, Germany, Italy, Canada) and maybe China, with a cascaded roll-out to follow as is usually the case with new product introductions (see iPhone and iPad).

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Would love to know what the price of the regular watch will be. I am tempted. Almost sold. I wonder what its popularity will be like over here. Certainly they won't sell as fast as the handsets but then availability might be limited through production.

Maybe Apple Pay rollout to countries getting the Watch? :D

One can hope.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Ok? So they will still sell more Watches on the first day then probably every other CE (LG, Samsung, Pebble) has sold to date. Oh no, poor Apple. What will they do...

10% of people who own an iPhone getting a watch is HUGE. Samsung only wishes that was the case.

I was guesstimating on the hardcore people who line up would be around 10% of the lines that normally form for an iPhone launch. I did not say that 10% of iPhone owners would get an Apple Watch as that's simply not going to happen.

From what I have seen and witnessed so far, the Apple Watch is a very niche product that no one really needs. It will be able to do some cool stuff, but then my blender can do some cool stuff too.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Their marketing efforts have been distinctly global. That's a strong hint to me that it's getting a global launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.