Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LbSigman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Not sure if it's remotely possible to do what I want my watch and iPhone to do with my Audi's hotpsot.

I can easily connect my iPhone to my car's hotspot, the watch follows suit. Placed the iPhone on airplane mode and notice the watch is connected to my car's hotspot with the cloud symbol. I sent a text to my wife through my watch and confirmed that it works.

I don't always want my iPhone to connect to the hotspot and use up all of my prepaid data, not to mention my Audi's hotspot is only 3G. Without manually turning off wifi on my iPhone every time I get into my car, is there any way to prevent my iPhone to connect to the hotspot upon turning my car on?

The reason why I am asking is that I don't always have my phone on me 24/7, especially when I go to the gym, however I do try to wear my watch throughout the day. I would love to have my watch use my car's hotspot when I don't have my phone so I still have some sort of connectivity via iMessage and/or email.

Is this possible?

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
Not sure if it's remotely possible to do what I want my watch and iPhone to do with my Audi's hotpsot.

I can easily connect my iPhone to my car's hotspot, the watch follows suit. Placed the iPhone on airplane mode and notice the watch is connected to my car's hotspot with the cloud symbol. I sent a text to my wife through my watch and confirmed that it works.

I don't always want my iPhone to connect to the hotspot and use up all of my prepaid data, not to mention my Audi's hotspot is only 3G. Without manually turning off wifi on my iPhone every time I get into my car, is there any way to prevent my iPhone to connect to the hotspot upon turning my car on?

The reason why I am asking is that I don't always have my phone on me 24/7, especially when I go to the gym, however I do try to wear my watch throughout the day. I would love to have my watch use my car's hotspot when I don't have my phone so I still have some sort of connectivity via iMessage and/or email.

Is this possible?

As far as I know..if your phone has been paired to a wifi signal and your watch has been paired to your phone since then..then your watch will now automatically connect to that wifi without presence of your phone. I have verified this working on my home wifi.

That being said - there may be certain limitations (type of wifi signal - home, free wifi hotspot with authentication, work wifi where certain certificates are requires), etc. that I am simply not aware of. The car may be one of those - not sure.

Reactions: LbSigman

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Unfortunately I don't believe that this is possible. As soon as you forget the wifi network on your phone the watch will follow suit and no longer connect to it.

Reactions: LbSigman

LbSigman

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2009
Unfortunately I don't believe that this is possible. As soon as you forget the wifi network on your phone the watch will follow suit and no longer connect to it.

Yeah I figured. I wish the phone wouldn't always automatically connect to a previously used wifi network. There should be human interaction. Oh well. Thanks.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
In my s4 I am 99% positive it was up to 4G in areas that supported it (2013 S4 prestige decked out with every option)/ Sadly, I lived in NC at the time and was lucky to get connection at all. After the first complimentary year of wifi, it never turned off. I was able to use it for the 2 almost 3 years I had it without any charges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.