Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apps Apple Watch backup not working

john991

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario
So I got a new Apple Watch 6 and do a nightly iCloud backup of my iPhone. Which I thought backs up the watch. Apparently not for me. I tried to pair the watch and restore from backup, but only see backups from 2019. So I connected the iPhone to the computer and backed up both to the computer and iCloud using encryption. Then tried to pair the new watch again, nope the only restore options I have is from 2019. (probably from my unpairing of the watch)

I don't really want to unpair the old watch and pair the new watch for a restore. My problem is something may screw up and I lose all my health data.

going to general, iPhone storage, watch I only see the 2019 backups...

Anyone have a workaround for this?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: MacRealist91

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
You miss understand how Watch backup works.

Your watch is only backed up as part of your iPhone backup when your watch has been unpaired. Un-pairing your watch is the only time it is backed up on your iPhone. So then you want to backup your iPhone to the cloud. Sorry but that's how it works.

Dave

john991

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario
You miss understand how Watch backup works.

Your watch is only backed up as part of your iPhone backup when your watch has been unpaired. Un-pairing your watch is the only time it is backed up on your iPhone. So then you want to backup your iPhone to the cloud. Sorry but that's how it works.

Dave

What if you have two watches? Unpair and repair to restore on both watches?

Twenty7Delta

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2013
I have a new series 6, I have never unpaired it but there is a backup under “iPhone storage” with a date and time that matches the date and time of my last iPhone backup to iCloud

I am interested in any answers to this as my wife’s watch doesn’t appear to be backing up. Not a huge deal as her watch is simple to set up

MacRealist91

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2020
I’m having the same issue here. Series 6 appears to not be able to restore from backup on my account. I’m really annoyed with having to setup multiple times.

axantas

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2015
Home
I have paired and upaired already several generations of Apple Waches. The backup never really worked as it should. Setting up the Series 6 I did not even bother with it again. I set it up as new watch. All you lose is your current app "setup", the settings of the watch and the watchfaces.
All your data comes back from the iPhone, all apps are installed again on the watch. Music and pictures are not backed up anyway.
Unpairing and pairing the old watch takes a lot more time. Besides that it is a good way to clean up the apps and - hohoo: discovering new setting options on the watch, you didn't even know before, because you have not looked at the settings for a looong time.

Reactions: MacRealist91

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
I have a new series 6, I have never unpaired it but there is a backup under “iPhone storage” with a date and time that matches the date and time of my last iPhone backup to iCloud

I am interested in any answers to this as my wife’s watch doesn’t appear to be backing up. Not a huge deal as her watch is simple to set up
I found the same in iPhone storage so I assume my watch backup is working as designed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.