Apple Watch can’t join WIFI network

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Was driving yesterday and received a message that my Apple Watch could not join x WIFI network. This is strange it would give me this message while in my car. Anyone have any ideas? As far as I know my iPhone 8 is not paired with that network.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
If it’s open public network then the chance is that your phone tried to connect with it but it had some sort of intermediate login page. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
If it’s open public network then the chance is that your phone tried to connect with it but it had some sort of intermediate login page. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Probably true. I hate networks that try to auto log my phone into when I am driving.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Probably true. I hate networks that try to auto log my phone into when I am driving.
Your iPhone will NEVER log into any WiFi you have not previously approved. If you did log in but no longer want it to log in hit Forget This Network.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Not sure what are calling false. The info I posted is correct. You must have "Ask to Join Networks" cut on and are accidentally hitting OK when they pop up. Just cut this off and you will NOT even be ask to join an unknown WiFi. Of course you MUST still "Forget This Network" if you have (accidentally) join it.

The only way your iPhone will join automatically to an unknown WiFi is if you have a Profile setup like for Xfinity.

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Not sure what are calling false. The info I posted is correct. You must have "Ask to Join Networks" cut on and are accidentally hitting OK when they pop up. Just cut this off and you will NOT even be ask to join an unknown WiFi. Of course you MUST still "Forget This Network" if you have (accidentally) join it.

The only way your iPhone will join automatically to an unknown WiFi is if you have a Profile setup like for Xfinity.
Well there have been times when I have been driving and I get a fancy screen that pops up on my iPhone. No not to join a new WIFI network but an advertisement screen.