Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacRumors has obtained official Visual Mechanical Inspection information for the Apple Watch that reveals what type of damage is eligible for warranty service, out-of-warranty service or no service at all. These guidelines are adhered to by Apple authorized service providers and are based upon Apple's standard 1-year limited hardware warranty for the Apple Watch.

Apple Watch damage that is eligible for warranty service includes user-claimed debris under the display glass or pixel anomaly, a back cover removed with no damage, and any condensation in the heart rate sensor windows. In particular, the document states that a removed back cover is only covered when not accompanied by enclosure damage or evidence of prying.

Warranty-Apple-Watch-800x292.png
Apple Watch damage that is eligible for out-of-warranty service includes a cracked, missing, removed or damaged Digital Crown cap, extreme abrasion, puncture holes, missing buttons resulting from a drop, any chips or multiple cracks in the display glass, a removed back cover with evidence of enclosure damage or prying, a bent or split band enclosure, a missing or removed band release button, or cracks in the back cover.

Out-of-Warranty-Apple-Watch-800x574.png
Apple Watch damage considered nonreturnable and ineligible for warranty service includes a disassembled unit or missing parts, catastrophic damage, counterfeit or third-party parts, and unauthorized modifications such as aftermarket displays and other non-Apple installed parts. Catastrophic damage may still be covered under an AppleCare+ Protection Plan on a case-by-case basis.

Ineligible-Warranty-Apple-Watch-800x184.png
Apple disclosed earlier this month that it will charge out-of-warranty service fees of $229, $329 and $2,800 for the Sport, Watch and Edition models respectively for repairs not covered by Apple's limited one-year warranty or AppleCare+ for Apple Watch. Out-of-warranty battery service is also available for $79 plus an applicable $6.95 shipping charge if required for all Apple Watch models.

Article Link: Apple Outlines Types of Apple Watch Damage Eligible for Warranty Service

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I just want to know how they're handling band warranties since I bought a link bracelet and Milanese loop separately. Hopefully, we'll get that information soon.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Why would all those types of severe damage, like extreme abrasion, puncture holes, etc, be covered in "out of warranty"? Something is not right here.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Those poor Apple Watches that had to suffer for this guide!

They had to test hundreds or even thousands of them to create a marketable product. Have to test them under every condition. These pictures weren't likely created just for the warranty guide. More likely they're pictures from various tests like drop testing, pressure testing, abrasion testing, and other things.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Why would all those types of severe damage, like extreme abrasion, puncture holes, etc, be covered in "out of warranty"? Something is not right here.

Do you understand "out of warranty" as "after warranty period has passed"? The way I understand it, "out of warranty" refers here to damage that is not covered by warranty even if it is still in effect. Which makes sense - the damage can be repaired, the user just has to pay extra.

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
Do you understand "out of warranty" as "after warranty period has passed"? The way I understand it, "out of warranty" refers here to damage that is not covered by warranty even if it is still in effect. Which makes sense - the damage can be repaired, the user just has to pay extra.

Agreed -- "out of warranty" refers to watch repair in the normal sense. I think it is reasonable and I appreciate Apple has done a great job in illustrating the scope and warranty coverage at the very beginning. Clearly set the path for customer expectation and no ambiguity occurs.

Another thing is some people just treat their watches as mobile phones --- not really taking care of it. But in fact, a premium watch requires some care.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
In particular, the document states that a removed back cover is only covered when not accompanied by enclosure damage or evidence of prying.

So you're not really allowed to remove the back yourself?

because just about every watch I had I sort of marked it some how when removing the back to replace a battery.

How strict will apple be?

stricter than other watch manufacturers?

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON

A manufacturer's warranty covers manufacturing defects. Anything that is not considered a manufacturer's defect is not covered under that warranty.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I think its really nice that they start providing guidelines like these. It would be nice to have something similar for Macs as well.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

because just about every watch I had I sort of marked it some how when removing the back to replace a battery.

The battery isn't user replaceable and I'd guess "very strict"

Eddie95Z28

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011

You are allowed to remove the cover. Just don't scratch or dent the watch while doing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.