Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
For me the addition of always on display is a game changer. It always felt to me like the AW was kind of a tiny phone strapped to your wrist, it needed too much interaction to get any info, even the time, like a wrist raise or a tap. People just saw a black square when they looked at it.
Now, a face is always there, like a watch should be.
The Apple Watch is finally a watch.
I’m upgrading

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
At the same time, I can see a lot more of accidental taps and such for me. I hope future watch can improve accidental wake ups while maintaining this always on display feature.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Yeah it always looked seriously stupid having a blank screen on your wrist. Just looked cheap and uncharged.

You should be able to see the time on it from any reasonable angle, not have to do some disco move to get it to pop.

myapple2019

Suspended
May 10, 2019
For me the addition of always on display is a game changer. It always felt to me like the AW was kind of a tiny phone strapped to your wrist, it needed too much interaction to get any info, even the time, like a wrist raise or a tap. People just saw a black square when they looked at it.
Now, a face is always there, like a watch should be.
The Apple Watch is finally a watch.
I’m upgrading
Yep. Always on display makes an Apple Watch to a “real” watch. Like one commenter noted, a blank screen without your tapping or moving your wrist seems stupid :) for a watch. Hence, with this “always on display” and 32 GB memory reasons, I decided upgrading to series 5 ceramic from series 4 gold SS. A watch is depreciated daily since it is worn every day, so $110 trade in value is no big deal. I have been wanting a ceramic 44mm, which unfortunately was not available in series 4.

Reactions: mzubb

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Yep. Always on display makes an Apple Watch to a “real” watch. Like one commenter noted, a blank screen without your tapping or moving your wrist seems stupid :) for a watch. Hence, with this “always on display” and 32 GB memory reasons, I decided upgrading to series 5 ceramic from series 4 gold SS. A watch is depreciated daily since it is worn every day, so $110 trade in value is no big deal. I have been wanting a ceramic 44mm, which unfortunately was not available in series 4.
Wow, Apples trade in values are a joke. I got £340 for my series 4 SS, from CEX. So the new series 5 SS will cost me 410 as I got to keep my Milanese loop band too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.