Apple Watch: not a minimalist but a maximalist invention

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by explorer2014, Sep 10, 2014.

1. explorer2014 macrumors newbie

You probably know the legacy of Steve Jobs, founder of Apple Inc. He was known for his astounding vision of consumer goods with a minimalist design. Perfection was only achieved not when there is nothing more to add but nothing left to take away. This was applicable for the iPad, iPhone, iPod and iMac. The first introduction of these product categories were introduced by Steve at the stage in San Francisco. Yesterday we saw Tim Cook on the stage saying the words “there is one more thing…”. We knew that there was something big coming. After these words the expectations raise sky high, because these words mean a lot for Apple. Steve Jobs went popular by presenting ground breaking products to the world when he said “there is one more thing…”. But this time the expectations were not met. The Apple watch is not as groundbreaking as it was. There was a lot of speculation about the Apple watch. Samsung and Google already introduced the “wearable” products in their product range. Apple is not the trendsetter anymore but is falling behind the competition. This said we knew that it would’t be a revolutionary product..

More of this you can find on my blog by visiting http://knowiety.com/2014/09/10/apple-watch-not-a-minimalist-but-a-maximalist-invention/

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

I know, gone are the exciting days. Apple does innovate as well as copy but the excitement and the wow factor has evaporated. That magical feeling you used to get when you looked and held an iOS device is gone.

It's still in their mac lineup, but perhaps not as prominent as it once was.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I predict all you naysayers will be wearing the :apple: Watch in 1 or 2 short years.

4. iBook_Clamshell macrumors member

If they came out with a stand-alone watch(that doesn't need to be linked to an iPhone or anything else) that could do everything a smartphone does, that would be a trendsetter!

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

A great subject for discussion.

"… Is this really necessary to put all these functions in a small watch that is on your wrist? …"

I can't comment on the Nike experience.

I share the wish for an Apple product to excel at specific tasks.

6. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I haven't worn a watch in roughly 30 years, and I doubt I'll start now (or any time soon).

Given that I'm not the market for the Apple Watch, it nevertheless seems like a very well done product with some serious shortcomings (battery life, iPhone dependence, not waterproof). In other words, it seems like a first generation Apple product that will probably improve.

Personally, I don't particularly care for the size of the product. Then again, I hate the idea of wearing anything on my wrist that doesn't hold beer (still waiting for that iCozy, Jony Ive!).