Apple Watch Series 3 as heart rate monitor

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by selaing, Nov 4, 2017.

1. selaing macrumors newbie

I know this question may have been asked, but how good is the new Apple watch series 3 as a heart rate monitor?

For many years, I used a Polar when exercising. I run and ride bikes.

I should be monitoring my heart now almost all the time, especially when exercising.

Your insight is most appreciated.

2. PHILIP1193 macrumors regular

My 2 isn't great if i'm honest and i think the sensors are the same (i might be wrong).

When i run it keeps track most of the time, but it can often lose the reading and worse still it'll completely drop off for extended periods of time.

As a general heart rate device is fine, but if you are avid exerciser and likes getting accurate measureBluetooth a bluetooth HR belt as its far better (trust me i did this).

I hated my watch when biking because the crown pushed into my hand, so cant comment.

3. fishes234 macrumors newbie

I run and cycle/MTB and also find the heart rate monitor ok for monitoring heart rate during the day but pretty poor for intensive workouts. I usually use iSmoothrun and find that it's very unpredictable and doesn't get a heart rate signal for several minutes at a time, so you get loads of plateaus.

I've got a Polar chest strap too and there's no comparison.