Apple Watch Series 4 - Runner's Review. Anyone ditching their Garmin?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by James.K.Polk, Oct 17, 2018.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

James.K.Polk

Big RTR review of the Series 4:

https://www.roadtrailrun.com/2018/10/apple-watch-series-4-runners-review.html

I've owned the Garmin Fenix 5S, 5, 630, and 645M in the past few years and can't imagine every ditching them completely... but with every iteration, Apple brings it a little closer. For myself (and I imagine anyone who runs outdoors routinely), the issue is just difficulty in starting/stopping, even with auto pause. Track work can also be a nightmare.

Any other runners going full-Apple?

2. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

I’ve tried to go full-Apple since S0, but always go back to Garmin for running. That being said, I did an interval workout yesterday with just the AW, Stryd and iSmoothRun and it was fine.

I’ve gone full-Garmin for a couple of months at a time, but the smartwatch features are frustrating. Having notifications rely on Bluetooth makes them fairly unreliable, as every Garmin I’ve had tends to lose connection with the phone repeatedly through the day.

The ideal combination for me is still the AW for day to day use, and a Garmin for running. For easy runs when I’m not concerned about keeping pace, the AW is fine.

3. Kermit262 macrumors 6502

Kermit262

I'm definitely NOT ditching my Garmin (935). Until Apple gets physical buttons (not likely) and does proper lap/interval work, I'll keep using it.

4. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

James.K.Polk

How can you use your Garmin data to fill the rings? Is it possible?

5. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

I use RunGap to move my Garmin runs into Apple Heath (and get credit towards the rings). Garmin sometimes can do it automatically, but it’s erratic.

If I’m paying attention to steps (or when I had LTE on the AW) I’d take the band off the AW and pop it in my pocket for cell service, steps and music.

6. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

I’m a runner who is full Apple Watch - but again I’m a newer runner who never got into what the Garmin’s do. I could see a future where I’m wearing both the Apple Watch for cellular/music etc. access and using the Garmin to track longer runs that exceed the battery life of the Apple Watch (ultra marathons etc.)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 17, 2018 ---
    This does look to be a much better review than Runner’s World that looked like just a recap of the features list talked about at the keynote and on the website

7. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

James.K.Polk

Definitely. I'm not an ultra-marathoner by any means, but even running a half marathon that took 68 minutes, when compounded with the standing-around, strides, post-race cool down, etc., drained my Watch to about 30%. And I almost won the race! Hard to imagine how it would last longer runners. I didn't have it on low-power mode, and I also didn't turn off LTE until the gun was about to go off, so I had probably an hour of LTE-alone time preceding it. Still... it's a cause for concern!

8. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Another point to make is even if you don’t use RunGap the ambient activity tracking should still get you your exercise minutes and motion because it’ll add that stuff to activity regardless of if its doing an active workout track for your race.

9. gsucyclist macrumors regular

gsucyclist

I'm a triathlete so I have not abandonded my garmin completely, but I have gone all in on the AW for my runs. I use the standard Workout app and start/end it using Siri. On those days I do intervals, I use the Intervals app which also integrates with Apple Health. I was running with both AW and Garmin for awhile, but got tired of wearing 2 watch and I needed the AW regardless so I could listen to music/podcasts and leave my phone behind

10. DontGetTheCheese macrumors regular

What kind of battery life with podcasts and GPS? I do a 3 hour hike some weekends and I’m curious if the AW would have anything left when I was done doing both of those.

11. gsucyclist macrumors regular

gsucyclist

I have had plenty of battery life left after 2 hour runs while listening to podcast. I don't remember exactly but I think it was somewhere around 60% from 100% charged? I think Apple quotes 6 hours of total workout time so you should be good with 3 hours

12. DontGetTheCheese macrumors regular

So, to leave some wiggle room, maybe 30% which is enough to use Apple Pay for lunch and get home to a recharger.

Nothing like the 5+ at 72% but probably enough.

Thanks!

13. Fozziebear71 macrumors 6502

Fozziebear71

The beginning of this year is when I started taking running more seriously. I am now running half-marathons and getting ready to start training for my first marathon. I have been using the Nike Run Club app on my phone (primarily because the Nike Run Club app on my Series 2 Apple watch just is a pain to even get to work 3/4th's of the time). I was prepared to buy the Apple Watch 4 to replace my Series 2 but I am now planning to get a Garmin running watch simply because the Apple Watch and third party running apps, in my experience, is just too unreliable, slow, and frustrating to use for serious running metrics.

14. brentc133 macrumors member

I just picked up a AW4 44mm lte which I plan to replace my Garmin a Fenix 5 with. I’m not a serious runner by any means. I’m already struggling with the AW not being able to see active steps and HR on the screen all the time. Also the flick the wrist to see stats is a pain compared to the Fenix always on display. I actually replaced my AW2 with the Fenix 5 ten months ago but the new refreshed AW4 got me interested again. Guess I have 14 more days to decide if I keep it.

15. DontGetTheCheese macrumors regular

I struggle with the idea of an Apple Watch because I don’t trust the metrics, battery life and a few other things.

The biggest selling point is LTE, without service, so I could dial 911 in an emergency. I don’t carry my phone in every case and I do places that could get me in a little bit of trouble. After that, it’s hard to make the case. It’s got some nice tricks, opening the MacBook, better podcast streaming / audible, for instance, but I can’t see it getting close to the Fenix overall.

16. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

Trust me, don't sell your Fenix yet. (Voice of experience). I've been down that road, and now I have an AW3 LTE, and a Garmin Fenix 5+, and switch back and forth. Wish I had learned a long time ago to go ahead and keep both, so when I get "mad" at one because of some quirk, I can just switch to the other one until I get "mad" at it (again). LOL

17. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

My advise if you are someone that just needs to have the features of say a Fenix to wear both the Fenix and the Apple Watch and use the Apple Watch as what your iPhone did prior and not use it to track the run but all the other stuff. Plenty of battery for that stuff.

18. PatrickNSF macrumors 6502

PatrickNSF

If you’re good with two watches, I think a good option is keeping the AW For daily wear, but supplementing your runs with a 935, 645 or whatever the 235 replacement will be.

19. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

James.K.Polk

Are you...me? Done the same thing. So far really loving the Series 4 as a primary running watch - but I'm also in some really light training. Will be interesting to see once the mileage gets higher and I need to use gloves, etc.

20. DontGetTheCheese macrumors regular

THose of you with a garmin, how do the calories count between the two? I find the Fenix fairly solid, or solid enough, at least. I had a Fitbit and it was useless. I don’t need perfect, calories can be off, just not way, way off.