Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Watch Series 6 vs. Apple Watch SE Buyer's Guide

UnusedLoginID

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
I pieced together something information showing the series 5 charges from 0% to 80% in about 1.5 hours and 0% to 100% in about 2 hours. The series 6 cuts 30 minutes off of both of those times. 0%-80% in about 1 hour and 0% to 100% in about 1.5 hours.
Any idea what a 5-min charge will get you to? I’m thinking for people who want sleep tracking but their battery is empty just when going to bed. I would hope a 5 min charge would be enough to last 8 hours at night (theater mode with display off)

bodonnell202

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Can we get some confirmation from Apple or otherwise on the crown ring and what color(s) it actually is? Because Apple's own product photos (on the same page, even) are conflicting.

Series 6 in blue aluminum:

But then the same model, right next to this photo on the same page:

In fact, all of the product photos on the page show that the crown ring is color coordinated for the aluminum models:

And on Apple's product comparison page, it again shows a red crown ring:
If it has a red ring it is cellular. No red ring is GPS only.

Reactions: iReality85

Greatness617

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2017
After reading this if I can get my hands on one of those new bands in black I will hold onto my 4 another year.

sirozha

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I wonder if the SE battery life is much longer than that of Series 6, since it’s the same display, probably the same battery, but the screen doesn’t stay on at all times.

I wonder how Apple plans for an LTE watch to last all day if it’s not paired to the iPhone that is in close proximity most of the day. For example, if I buy a watch for my son and pair the watch with my iPhone, how will his watch battery last all day if he is at school most of the day and the watch is on LTE?

Reactions: jlozoya

pohl

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2005
Lincoln, Nebraska
Do you know if they ever mentioned what the cores in the S4 and S5 chip are based on?

This is the first time I recall them mentioning it. I think it would make sense, though, for them to transfer technology from their watch series cores to the low-power cores on the phones (or vice-versa). I'm guessing that "based on the A13" likely means that the S6 is based on the energy-efficient "Thunder" core in the A13. Maybe the S5 and/or S4 was based on the "Tempest" core?

Last edited:

bodonnell202

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So what's a better buy: Apple Watch SE or a discounted Series 4 or 5?
The Apple Watch SE is most similar to the Series 4, since it is missing the Series 5 signature feature (always on display)
Here is the tradeoffs in each case:
Series 4: Only 16 GB storage, no always on display, no always on altimeter
Series 5: No always on altimeter
SE: No ECG, No always on display

If you can find a discounted Series 5 at a similar price to the SE, it's still the better buy. Series 4 isn't as compelling just to get ECG (unless that is really important to you).

bodonnell202

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This is the first time I recall them mentioning it. I think it would make sense, though, for them to transfer technology from their watch series cores to the low-power cores on the phones (or vice-versa). I'm guessing that "based on the A13" likely means that the S6 is based on the energy-efficient "Thunder" core in the A13. Maybe the S5 and/or S4 was based on the "Tempest" core?
Quite possibly, although since the S5 is just a tweaked S4 (it uses the same CPU cores) it's more likely that they were based on the Mistral cores from the A11 considering the timing.

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Looking at Canadian pricing and the 6 series is $130 more for cellular vs GPS but on SE model cellular is only $60 more?? Is this something to do with the new ultraband chip or is that even cellular related?? I am considering moving from Series 3 cellular to SE and determined I was not going to go for cell model again but for only $60 more??

dubvulture

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2015
MR should mention Vo2 max, which is currently appealing for more training oriented sportsmen which usually carrying Garmin/Polar.
This may just be the thing that gets me to finally buy one. I’m a cyclist and I use a Garmin and a heart rate monitor. Would love to be able to measure Vo2 max. The new colors are nice too.

JKAussieSkater

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Perhaps the information is unavailable at this time, but I’m surprised to see that under Display there is no mention of the type of glass.

Which models have a sapphire watch face?

This is the most important detail for me, as a watch owner. It’s the difference between a watch face that scratches and one that doesn’t.

Reactions: Da_Hood

name99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
Are you sure about the W3 wireless chip claim?
Watch6 has 5GHz WiFi which is a first for Apple Watch. I'd expect that would require an updated wireless chip.

I see all the media are reporting W3, but I can't see anything actually claiming that on Apple.com or in the keynote. This seems like something that was guessed at by a tech journalist (who didn't notice that Watch6 now has 5GHz WiFi) and has been blindly copied by everyone else.

name99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
Wait, what? Is this true? Was it in the Keynote (I was only half paying attention)? If true it’s probably based on the efficiency cores in the A13, but still impressive for a watch.

Yes.
Watches 0, 1, 2, 3 used a "standard" ARM core. Watch 4 and 5 used the small core from the A11, Watch 6 uses the small core from the A13. And yes, even that small core is nicely fast for a watch -- the 4 is noticeably faster than the 3.

Especially for a watch it would make sense to also have a TINY core or two on-board, to do things that need to be done as time progresses, like update the screen, but that don't require speed. Apple does have such tiny cores in their suite of designs (they are used, eg as controller cores for the GPU and NPU) but it's unclear whether they are available to run normal software at low power on the watch, the way the small cores are used for non-essential tasks on the phone.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
This may just be the thing that gets me to finally buy one. I’m a cyclist and I use a Garmin and a heart rate monitor. Would love to be able to measure Vo2 max. The new colors are nice too.

yea im in the same boat , rowing , cycling. oxygen is a feature thats worth me selling my aw5 ,and upgrading to the aw6 alone. its vital data for me.

Reactions: dubvulture

Casey Royals

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
It costs US$50 to add cellular to the price of a 🍎 Watch SE but US$100 to add cellular to 🍎 Watch 6. If it’s exactly the same cellular why such a big difference in price?.

Da_Hood

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2017
Australia
Perhaps the information is unavailable at this time, but I’m surprised to see that under Display there is no mention of the type of glass.

Which models have a sapphire watch face?

This is the most important detail for me, as a watch owner. It’s the difference between a watch face that scratches and one that doesn’t.

Its not showing on the spec finder at Apple for older generations, but if I recall correctly Stainless and higher had Sapphire, aluminium had Ion glass, Nike may have had Ion+.
It is weird that this is not seen as a feature anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: JKAussieSkater
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.