Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Watch Solo Loop Sizing Matches Sport Loop Holes

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
As I posted in this thread below, I think those pictures are misleading; the solo loop sizing tool is not spaced evenly, but the pin holes on the sports band are. Also, there is a about half a pin difference between the M/L and the S/M bands, so the pins holes do not line up in a continuous series.

I also think M/L pin hole 2 (so the second smallest size) = solo loop size 8, because those bands match in size almost exactly. Gruden has it lined up with hole #3.

Reactions: nicho
Comment

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2016
What a great idea to release a brand new product in 12(?) brand new sizes while stores are closed so that basically no one can try them on either.. Guess the delivery people won't be out of a job anytime soon at least :)
They hurried this product, I believe due to the VO2 measurement, which is valuable during covid. But you are in no way obligated to buy it right away.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Heads up, folks.

I measured my wrist 4 times with a new tailor cloth measuring tape. I measured 6 4/16” inches. Apple stated I was a size 6 and if I wanted a snug fit, to order the size 5. This article indicates I would be a 6 with the s/m sport band.

I happen to be looking at a new order on the Apple site earlier and saw my local store had reopened. I hustled over and tried on the size 5 Solo loop thinking it would be snug; it wasn’t. I ended up leaving with size 4.

If your local store is open, I encourage you to go try the bands on in person. If the local store isn’t open, size down. The difference in sizes is very small. If you don’t, you may end up having to do 1 or more returns.

After getting sized for 4, I immediately canceled the size 5 loops I had order over the weekend.

Comment

Takeo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2004
Canada
The problem with this idea is, depending on what hole you use on a sport band you can end up with a lot or a little of extra strap tucked under. If you have a lot of extra strap tucked under that’s going to affect the fit. It’s not just about length.

Reactions: fernelius
Comment

fernelius

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
New York, NY
Gruber writes:
A few people have wondered why Apple doesn't just map fluoroelastomer Sport Band sizes to Solo Loop sizes. I can see why Apple doesn't do that — they can't assume everyone already has access to an Apple Watch with a Sport Band, and even for people who do have access to one, Apple can't assume it's the right size watch (38/40mm vs. 42/44mm). And to further complicate matters, each Sport Band comes with two sizes for the side with the holes: "S/M" and "M/L." So that's four separate mappings from Sport Band holes to the new Solo Loop sizes.

I wonder, too, how many people would try to use the hole on their third-party watch band, and these might not match the Apple Sport Band at all.

Comment

michaelb5000

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
The problem with this idea is, depending on what hole you use on a sport band you can end up with a lot or a little of extra strap tucked under. If you have a lot of extra strap tucked under that’s going to affect the fit. It’s not just about length.

In part yes, and also how tight someone wears the band decides the pin hole. But in my post above, when I say Solo Loop size 8 = the 2nd ML pin hole, I am measuring the bands flat on a board and they are almost the exact same length. The Gruden chart suggesting Size 8 = hole 3 is clearly wrong, at least hole #3 results in a band that is 6 mm longer than the size 8 solo loop.

Comment

Alanaaaaa

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
This isn’t accurate for me. I had a 40mm S/M band. I would wear it on the third hole for “life” and the second hole for workouts. Because I have small wrists, the band always had a gap or sort of a space because it wouldn’t curve enough next to the watch itself. With the solo loop it bends perfectly, so I have a size 1.

Comment

Drew7777

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2020
I don't think the the holes at the same size number are equivalent when the S/M and M/L are side by side in the photo. I say this because I have swapped the S/M and M/L parts for my sports band and there are no equivalent sizes. I actually got to pick the more comfortable one for the best fit. What is happening is that the rounded end tucks in and goes inside of the band, against your wrist. This results in 2 layers of band material for a short distance. The more you have doubled up (such as when using the M/L part compared to the S/M part), the tighter the band feels. Think about it. I am just saying so that people know the holes do not exactly match up.

Comment

luiss

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2002
Uhm, you can't measure like this lmao. The only thing this shows is that the distance between holes is the same as the distance between sizes.

If I print out the tool and place my apple watch on it with a sport band attached, lining up the slot in my band with the "▶ ◀" in the tool, the holes line up as described in the pictures.

Comment

InsideApple

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2020
So I measured myself with both the cutable sizing thing and with a tape, and I get to a 10 (44mm) which is wrong. I wear my Apple Watch 44mm with Sport Band always on the 2nd hole for a comfortable fit, or 3rd for a thighter fit. But the size 10 on Solo Loop was too thight. Now I‘m not sure if it‘s an 11 or 12. Because when I add like 3mm, it suggests me an 11 for active lifestyle, or 12 for more comfort.
Is anyone using it the same way I do and can feedback what Solo Loop should be good for me?
Even though with the updated policy I dont want to wait ages to get the right size.

Comment

jonblatho

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2014
Missouri
Uhm, you can't measure like this lmao. The only thing this shows is that the distance between holes is the same as the distance between sizes.
Yes, you can. If you have a Sport Band and know which of the pins fits best for you, you can use it as a rough size guide without needing to spend time printing out and cutting out the tool. For a very snug fit I’m at the third hole from the band slot on the S/M Sport Band for my 44mm watch, so I’d probably start out by trying a size 5 Solo Loop if I were interested in buying one.

I bought my Series 6 with a Sport Band because I wanted a band that I know I like, and I was concerned that issues would arise with sizing the Solo Loop with no realistic try-on option (even if my “nearby” stores were open, they’re all a few hours away). I’ll probably get around to buying one eventually, but it helps to have this point of reference if/when I do.

Comment

bobmans

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2020
Yes, you can. If you have a Sport Band and know which of the pins fits best for you, you can use it as a rough size guide without needing to spend time printing out and cutting out the tool. For a very snug fit I’m at the third hole from the band slot on the S/M Sport Band for my 44mm watch, so I’d probably start out by trying a size 5 Solo Loop if I were interested in buying one.

I bought my Series 6 with a Sport Band because I wanted a band that I know I like, and I was concerned that issues would arise with sizing the Solo Loop with no realistic try-on option (even if my “nearby” stores were open, they’re all a few hours away). I’ll probably get around to buying one eventually, but it helps to have this point of reference if/when I do.
If i’d go with the sizing estimations mentioned in the OP then my size would be 2 sizes bigger than the actual size that I ordered and received (which fits well).

Reactions: nicho
Comment

The Oak

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2013
I ended up going with Series 6 GPS 44mm and a normal sports band with holes. If I am really desperate, I will go into my local Apple Store and size sometime in the future for a Solo Loop. That is what Christmas, birthdays, and Father's Day is for ;)

Going into a store seems to be the only guaranteed way.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.