Apple Watch SS w/Sport Band & Dress Clothes?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Domino8282, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

I'm wondering in practice how frequently I'm going to want to change the band, and whether I can get by just wearing the sport band all the time, even with dress clothes.

Is anyone else thinking of wearing the sport band to work, with dress clothes? Anyone seen any pics or videos of someone in dress clothes wearing the sport band and pulling it off?

2. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

[​IMG]

3. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

I have a pretty lax dress code for work and during a good part of the year I do 35KM's on my bike to get to work so the sports band will probably end up the band I use most often.

Having said that I will get at least one or two more bands, the Milanese loop, the classic buckle and leather loop all being possibilities just need to try them on first.

Not to mention I'm sure we will see some really nice 3rd party bands, would love a band to match my other leather goods.

4. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

THats not dress clothes. Thats just a button up and jeans.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Button up shirt and jeans are hardly dress clothes.

As long as you stay away from the tacky colored ones, black and white sport bands should look fine. They're after all found on the Edition models.

6. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I think black will easily work. You can always wait for the large variety of bands that are on the way out.

7. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

Eddy Cue wore a SS with a sports strap in a tux but I can't find the picture.

8. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

I have heard of dress codes in the work place but I've never seen them so detailed as to restrict the watch you wear. Many many years ago when I had to wear a tie and dress shirt to (thank the Lord those days are history) I wore a G-Shock. Ironically, for years watches we might now consider dressy were in actuality sports watches - however they were analog.

9. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

Don't do it, it's so tasteless imo.
    If you're gonna wear often a more dressy outfit, you'll definitely need a leather band. And you should match all leather stuff you're wearing, not just by colour, but by texture and shade too (watch band, belt, shoes, wallet, phone case). :cool:

10. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Why not just buy an aluminum model and spend the leftover money on a leather band?

11. RByers8252 macrumors regular

I wear the following watch with a suit and casually as well and always get compliments on it. Hoping the sport band has a similar look to it. Not to cheap but not easily destroyed.
    http://m.macys.com/shop/product/bulova-mens-chronograph-precisionist-black-rubber-strap-watch-47mm-98b172?ID=735208&CategoryID=23930

12. AleXXXa, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

That's not a dressy outfit, lol. He's wearing a casual shirt and jeans. Plus he has no tastes in fashion/style (oversized and slightly wrinkled shirt that looks baggy on him, often way too long and untucked and wearing an undershirt are a big no no. Plus i think i've seen him wearing sneakers on stage, lol, like he's a teenager or something, not a ceo giving a presentation in front of hundreds of people). :)

13. SHKLMRE macrumors regular

this is going to be me on launch day. Love this photo.

14. FlatCable macrumors member

You can? Yes...

Way better options? For sure: milanese, classic/modern buckles will surely work better...

But it depends on your work.

15. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I was thinking about getting the black or silver link bracelet. I wear business-casual I assume. Dress pants/shoes/belt/ with a polo shirt.

P.S. I hate polos shirts.

16. FlatCable macrumors member

With a Polo shirt, everything is okay, then...

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Hell I wear my pebble with a suit and it looks just fine.

18. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

My job has me working at many $500 million- several billion dollar companies and business casual is the norm. I can say that the employees across these businesses will wear rubber bands for watches. I've seen the CFO of a billion dollar company wear one. From my side though, I'll be sticking to the blue leather loop for my dress.

19. mbhforum macrumors 6502

I wear business casual in a non-strict work environment (I work for a software company and some people even wear jeans). Black Sports band on SS model would definitely work and I am buying that since I know that will be my go to band when exercising/casual/weekend use as well. I am fairly confident I won't return that watch/band combo and want to play it safe with the band I get with the watch. I have my eye on the Blue Leather Loop band and might buy that one as well for more dressier look as I do tend to like to dress up a little. However, the blue leather loop has a casual look too.

20. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

Personally, I will be buying a few bands so I can dress it up when needed. While I see it acceptable for many and most times, I don't think the sport band suffices for all occasions.

21. Mr.C macrumors 601

I think in this day and age it's perfectly acceptable to wear a rubber or plastic band in any situation and any kind of occasion including wearing a suit to work. That said in my line of work I don't have to wear a suit or even a tie and blazer unless I choose to.

I typically wear casual but smart clothes and have a Pebble with a rubber band. At the moment I plan on getting the Stainless Steel with a black sport band for every day wear including work but will probably get a Milanese loop or one of the leather bands on the odd occasion I do want to dress up my watch or just for a change.

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I wear my black FitBit to work every day - no one has ever freaked out about it. I think you'll be fine.

23. Trent0341 macrumors 6502

This... just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Dress clothes should be worn with a leather band. Nothing looks worse than a suit with a G-Shock. It's funny that all the people who don't wear a suit to work are telling you that it's fine.

The bottom line is that you can wear whatever watch you want with whatever clothes you want. It doesn't make you more or less of a human being. But if you are asking what the proper etiquette is then stick with the leather bands when in dress attire. Just my opinion.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Works fine, well the black one.

Plenty of high end watches use a rubber band, though they tend to have much better water resistance :)

25. Mr.C macrumors 601

I have to say I disagree with that 100%. There is no hard and fast rule that says you have to wear a certain type of band or even watch with a certain type of dress style.