Apple Watch unlock stopped working

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by abcdefghijklmno, Apr 11, 2018.

1. abcdefghijklmno macrumors member

Title says is all I guess.

Initially was working, 2017 MacBook and Series 0 Apple Watch. Then suddenly and completely stopped working, for no apparent reason. No iCloud change (passwords etc.)

I’ve tried everything obvious - disable and re-enable, restart everything. All software is current releases, no betas.

Any suggestions?!

Ta

2. ethansmith1409 macrumors newbie

ethansmith1409

Have you consulted with customer care support? If yes, what did they say?

3. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

did you by chance add a USB3 hub near the Mac? Or some other USB3 device?

This happens to me from time to time, USB3 emits 2.4Ghz "noise" that can interfere with bluetooth.

Try unplugging any USB3 devices, or see if you can find shielded USB cables.

4. abcdefghijklmno thread starter macrumors member

Not yet. Wondering if there’s something obvious that I’ve missed first. I guess this will be the next step!

Nope. No other USB3 devices in the building!

5. techwarrior macrumors 65816

techwarrior

OK, so I had issues with Watch and Wallet. Could not activate Apple Pay Cash on my Watch. I called support and they walked me through a reset. It would probably help, and at least not hurt to try this as it is effectively like logging out of iCloud then back in again to reset apps that use iCloud and are not syncing properly.

On the iOS Watch App, click on My Watch and the info icon, then "Unpair Apple Watch". Before you panic, this will take a little time as the iPhone will do a complete backup of watch data and settings before cutting the cord.

Then, add the Watch back to your iPhone Watch app. Most settings will be restored, but you may have to re-activate Apple Pay stuff. And I think you have to provide the iCloud password in the restore steps.

I would suspect disabling Unlock with Apple Watch on your Mac before you start this, then re-activating it after restore is complete would be necessary. When I went through this for the Apple Pay issue, I didn't disable Unlock on the Mac, and it was working afterwords, but since this is the underlying issue, it seems prudent to do so.