Apple Watch vs Garmin for bike / cycling / Mtb and walk - not like a Pro

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by al404, May 18, 2019.

1. al404 macrumors 6502

al404

After I found my Apple Watch 3 glass fluctuating over the watch since it crack for battery issue and got one in replace I don't really know if I want to keep my Apple Watch or sell it and get a Garmin or some other brand.

I'm going to get my first cycling computer as I mountain bike I will get a Garmin 530 as soon as it will be available, I will use it for my longer run but for shorter ones I would like to get something like a watch that can still record my activity and my progress

The first issue is... how would I mix all my data if the come from different sources? Can I use Strava?

The Apple Watch is the best looking watch and AMOLED screen is gorgeous it doesn't really boded me to wear it all day long but it has low battery like and need some sort or protection
    Anybody did try some case to use for sports?

Garmin kind of look too sporty for every day use, the one I'm looking too is the new forerunner 245

Any other alternative? Maybe Sunto?

2. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

I believe garmin stores in Health.You can also transfer Apple Watch workouts to Garmin Connect with rungab or healthfit, but then you should disable garmin connect as a source in Health to not get dublicates. But then you cannot see your garmin workouts in Health, which might not be desirable.

Rungab and healthfit can export to a range of services. Including Strava. Garmin Connect can also directly sync to Strava. But if you go for Apple watch and you might as well upload it all with rungab or healthfit.

3. jdechko macrumors 601

@al404 Did you ever get the Garmin 530? If so, what are your impressions? I'm in the market for a cycling computer and I'm looking at that one.

Right now, I'm just using my AW Series 3, but it's not ideal as it's really just tracking the workout and the battery dies on longer rides.

4. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

I like the 530 and I also got a Forerunner 245
    I broadcast HR from 245 to 530

if you have any specific question I would try to answer