Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the Apple Watch and the fourth-generation Apple TV, Apple debuted two new operating systems -- watchOS and tvOS -- both of which share a common naming scheme with iOS, the operating system that runs on iPhones and iPads.

Apple's unified naming system has led to speculation that OS X, the operating system for the Mac, is due for a name change to MacOS, bringing it in line with watchOS, tvOS, and iOS. Apple won't unveil the name of the next-generation Mac operating system until its 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference, but a new update to the company's website suggests MacOS is on the minds of Apple employees and a candidate for the name of the next upgrade.

maclineup-800x377.jpg

On a webpage that was updated this morning to share Apple's most recent environmental report, a Frequently Asked Questions section makes a mention of "MacOS." When discussing power consumption of products, MacOS is listed alongside tvOS, iOS, and watchOS.
To model customer use, we measure the power consumed by a product while it is running in a simulated scenario. Daily usage patterns are specific to each product and are a mixture of actual and modeled customer use data. Years of use, which are based on first owners, are assumed to be four years for MacOS and tvOS devices and three years for iOS and watchOS devices.
A mention of "MacOS" was also found buried Library files in OS X 10.11.4 in late March, but the file, "FUFlightViewController_macOS.nib," has been present in the Mac operating system since August of 2015, a month before the public launch of OS X El Capitan.

If Apple does make the switch from "OS X" to "MacOS," it is not clear if the company will stick with naming each iteration after California landmarks, a tradition that started with OS X Mavericks in 2013. Prior to that date, Mac updates were named after large cats, but since then, we've seen OS X Mavericks, OS X Yosemite, and OS X El Capitan. With tvOS, watchOS, and iOS, operating system upgrades follow a number-based naming scheme, with the current versions being tvOS 9.2, watchOS 2.2, and iOS 9.3.1.

Apple is expected to unveil the next version of its Mac operating system, OS X 10.12, at its 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference, which will likely be held from June 13 to June 17. Little is known about OS X 10.12 at this time, but it may be a more significant update than OS X 10.11, introducing Siri support for the Mac for the first time.

Update: Apple has now removed the reference to "MacOS" in its environmental report and replaced it with "OS X".

Article Link: Apple Refers to OS X as 'MacOS' in Environmental Webpage Update

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
If Apple does make the switch from "OS X" to "MacOS," it is not clear if the company will stick with naming each iteration after California landmarks, a tradition that started with OS X Mavericks in 2013. Prior to that date, Mac updates were named after large cats, but since then, we've seen OS X Mavericks, OS X Yosemite, and OS X El Capitan.

Is this a concern for anyone?

Name it after different types of fungi and I'm still using it...

Gary

exodiusprime

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
OSX has been around for 15 years, right? While I'm not saying this for the sake of change ("If it ain't broke, don't fix it"), do you guys think Apple will go to OSXI (OS 11) anytime soon, or will we continue 10.12, 10.13, etc.?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
If they're going to go with that naming scheme they might as well change iOS to phoneOS.

I wonder how many devs it took to pull this off?

cant-innovate-anymore-my-ass.jpg
One of the most annoying quotes of all time. Nobody wanted the Mac Pro to be reinvented into an un-upgradeable trash can. They just wanted it to have the latest specs/features. His commentary on the justification for 16 GB phones is also annoying.

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
If they stay with the tick tock model, we are in for some changes in this years OS X i think.. Maybe that will come with the rebranding... After all, 15 years is a long time for a system :)

Reactions: orbital~debris

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
It makes sense for them to unify the names.

Since they were meant to go to 11.0 last year, and didn't, they should rebrand and remove the X - so a yes from me.

Edit: OK guys, I was wrong. Versioning doesn't have to follow maths.

Last edited:
Reactions: orbital~debris

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Craig Federighi will show a (4K) video about Apple's crack marketing team conducting time travel (to the 80s/90s) for inspiration – instead of the map & photos used to document recent OS X naming processes.

Reactions: devinthomas

AnsonX10

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
4/20
Maybe they thought they would stick with version 10 forever, but have changed their minds and are gearing up for a version number change. OS X 11 doesn't look... actually it doesn't look bad, but it makes no sense.

They could always rename iOS to "mobileOS" if they want to remain as uncreative as possible for all their OSes.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Maybe they thought they would stick with version 10 forever, but have changed their minds and are gearing up for a version number change. OS X 11 doesn't look... actually it doesn't look bad, but it makes no sense.

They could always rename iOS to "mobileOS" if they want to remain as uncreative as possible for all their OSes.

Yeah, maybe we'll see macOS 11.0

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Is this a concern for anyone?

Name it after different types of fungi and I'm still using it...

Gary

They can name it "OS xX RIP ST3V3 J0BS xx" for all I care. As long as they take care of the horrendous bugs, like the one where Safari crashes your computer (A problem that has persisted for many iterations of OSX), I'll be satisfied.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
If they do that they'll need to rethink the rest:
iPad: tabletOS / padOS
iPod: musicOS / podOS
I guess that would be weird. But now that I think about it, the i is fine because i-Pad i-Phone i-Pod ... so I guess that doesn't need to change.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
It's just going back to having Mac (or mac) in the name, like it was in Mac OS X 10.7 and earlier.

Frankly if they get rid of the "X" it is an improvement because it gets rid of the redundancy. Consider OS X 10.11 the "X" and the "10" refer to the same thing. macOS 10.12 makes a lot of sense to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.