Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
Let’s wait and see if Apple lowers the price after bad sales of iPhone X in November.

There won't be bad sales. This phone is going to be VERY sought after and Apple knew this which is why they were able to get away with charging so much for it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Sorry Apple will not reduce the price, these phones will sell out and there is huge demand for the X.

And it's way too early to determine what Apple would do anyways. But I agree, for them to reduce of this price of the X wouldn't be beneficial until after inventory would even be widely available, which who knows how long that will be into 2018. Even so, The price will be exactly as we see it now.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
The assumption being that people won't pay for a $1,000 phone with all the features because the entry X only has 64 GB memory? If history has shown us anything in the last fifteen years, it's that Apple consumers will buy it. They know it's the best out there.

Lerxt

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
Sales will be through the roof. It’s a bit sad to read people who can’t afford it, but there are tons of people who can.

kiranmk2

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2008
I think this year is going to be a bust for Apple and really bring home how reliant their share price is on the iPhone. The 8/8+ clearly isn't selling so well (not surprising given that this is the 4th generation of the form factor) and there's lots of evidence that the iPhone X inventory isn't going to be so good come release. Of course, this will keep the price high (and likely even higher than RRP given scalpers) - probably well into 2018, at which point people will think 'why spend $1000 on a phone that's only going to be cutting edge for a further 3-6 months?'

Conversely, I think we can expect discounts on the 8/8+ come Christmas. As we saw from the 6s and 7, these will likely come from 3rd parties and Apple will not reduce their prices.

The bad side of this (for the consumer) is that it will probably enable Apple to carry on with inflated prices for the 2018 iPhones rather than revert to previous pricing level.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Let’s wait and see if Apple lowers the price after bad sales of iPhone X in November.

The problem with this approach is, there is no ‘we’. There is no widespread agreement that the X is too expensive or unaffordable. It’ll sell loads and you’ll either have to hope the price drops next year (it won’t) or save up like everyone else.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
The real question is, will I get mine on launch day. The 6 plus, I waited 2 weeks after launch. The 6s+ I got on launch day with resevation. The 7+ I got on launch day camping out all night in front of ATT store. So price is not an issue, will I get it on launch is!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have no doubt it won’t be the best selling iPhone we’ve seen due to its price, but it will have enough popularity to be successful. Add to the fact the supply is limited so it will technically be sold out very quickly. This in turn will be marketed as instant success.

I’ll see what the price is like in a years time as I can’t justify the inflated launch price. I doubt Apple will lower any pricing in the first year as they never do. I’ll vote with my wallet for now and my life will be no worse off for it. Try it OP.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I don't think apple will ever lower the price but will offer alternatives in 2018 at better prices.

By all reports they may be making lower margin on X due to higher part costs - face ID and that OLED (Samsung making bank on that). Next year they will hopefully have those costs more under control giving them the ability to cut prices.

I'd hope/expect them to lower the price of the X to somewhere in between the current 8 and X, and a plus version of the X at $999

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s gonna sell out in the first 5 minute and be on backorder for months and people will WILLINGLY wait

I agree to disagree. I agree It will sell out or back order under three minutes if somebody doesn't pre-order.

But where I disagree with you, is if the wait Becomes too long and from the time somebody actually receives their device after they order it. I could see some being frustrated and canceling it, Because they might have the rational thinking they might as well wait the next six months until the next iPhone is released and upgrade then. Plenty of forum members on these threads have made similar comments to this. Again, that be dependent on how fluid Apples stock is and how quickly they get these iPhones out to their customers.

Billburns

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2017
Usa
I have no doubt it won’t be the best selling iPhone we’ve seen due to its price, but it will have enough popularity to be successful. Add to the fact the supply is limited so it will technically be sold out very quickly. This in turn will be marketed as instant success.

I’ll see what the price is like in a years time as I can’t justify the inflated launch price. I doubt Apple will lower any pricing in the first year as they never do. I’ll vote with my wallet for now and my life will be no worse off for it. Try it OP.

It can’t be the best selling only because there isn’t enough devices to go around

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again

I'm with you. I think it will be a little lower in price next fall when the next model is out.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Regardless of cost, common sense, or practicality, The iPhone X will sell big time. I base my opinion on the fact that I went to an Apple store today to buy an iPhone 8 plus. I gave me 7 plus to my wife and decided to upgrade. AT&T was sold out. The Apple store had stock, but cases for the 8 and 8 plus were almost sold out. Same with Best Buy. Looked like a tornado swept through the cell phone section. There was a wait in the store I visited. It seems to me iPhones are selling like hotcakes. People are like sheep. They will follow the heard, and drink the water. Bahhh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.