Apple Winding Down Quattro Wireless Operations in Favor of iAds

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

MacDailyNews reports that Apple has reached out to users of its Quattro Wireless ad platform, notifying them that it has stopped taking new campaign submissions and will be winding down operation of the service by the end of September in favor of Apple's new iAd platform. The message comes from Andy Miller, former CEO of Quattro and currently Apple's vice president for the iAd program.
We believe iAd is the best mobile ad network in the world, and starting next month we're going to focus all of our resources on the iAd advertising platform. We are no longer accepting new campaigns for the Quattro Wireless Network, and we will soon begin winding down existing campaigns. As of September 30, we will support ads exclusively for the iAd Network.
Apple acquired Quattro Wireless early this year in order to bring on board talent for deploying its own iAd mobile advertising service. The iAd program went live on July 1st, and has served up strong performance for early-adopter advertisers and app developers, although rollout of ads for the program has been slowed by Apple's tight control over the entire process. It is clear, however, that Apple is putting all of its mobile advertising emphasis on iAd, unsurprisingly necessitating the discontinuation of Quattro's former services.

Article Link: Apple Winding Down Quattro Wireless Operations in Favor of iAds

iAds are such a no-brainer. Ads that don't pull you immediately away from content, helps educated consumers about your product in an engaging and emotive fashion, and allows the immediate purchase of mobile applications directly from the ad itself? The question isn't whether iAds is good, but why everyone else isn't immediately doing it this way. Considering Google's exclusive monopoly on ALL Android-based ads, you'd think they'd be all over this level of usability.

~ CB

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Ads are Ads
But nobody can argue against certain realities:

1. Some ads are more annoying than others. Kicking you out of the app you’re using, for instance, is obnoxious. (iAds and Pandora get this right.)

2. Some ads are more profitable for developers than others. (And you don’t get good apps for free, so be glad for that.)

3. Ads have always been possible in iPhone apps. iAds is not creating some evil new option, merely improving an existing one.

4. Apple in no way discourages apps that are simply purchased, ad-free. Paid AND ad-supported have always been options on the iPhone (options different people actually like!) and always will be. Nothing has been lost.

5. Apple still allows a choice of other ad services, not just their own. (Which I’m told is freedom you don’t have on Android—but I find that hard to believe since Google would then have to police it.)

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Hrm, aren't iAds being held to a higher level of quality? Will the Quattro users have their regular ads rejected with the move?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hrm, aren't iAds being held to a higher level of quality? Will the Quattro users have their regular ads rejected with the move?
There won’t even BE Quattro users; former Quattro users will have to look into other ad services. Some may choose iAds, which work in a very different way (produced by Apple in collaboration). Others will probably go with a more conventional system.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
But nobody can argue against certain realities:

1. Some ads are more annoying than others. Kicking you out of the app you’re using, for instance, is obnoxious. (iAds and Pandora get this right.)

2. Some ads are more profitable for developers than others. (And you don’t get good apps for free, so be glad for that.)

3. Ads have always been possible in iPhone apps. iAds is not creating some evil new option, merely improving an existing one.

4. Apple in no way discourages apps that are simply purchased, ad-free. Paid AND ad-supported have always been options on the iPhone (options different people actually like!) and always will be. Nothing has been lost.

5. Apple still allows a choice of other ad services, not just their own. (Which I’m told is freedom you don’t have on Android—but I find that hard to believe since Google would then have to police it.)
6. There's not a single ad network that can predict when you, the consumer want/need to purchase something.

Call me when that happens :D

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Has this change in policy been communicated all along?

I hope so, because roughly five weeks isn't much time to move a business critical ad system to a new platform.

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
Has this change in policy been communicated all along?

I hope so, because roughly five weeks isn't much time to move a business critical ad system to a new platform.
No. Not really. All Apple did, apparently, was to e-mail iAd-using developers and advertisers. No press release as of yet.

A bit weird isn't it... makes you wonder about how business decisions are being made at Apple.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
There won’t even BE Quattro users; former Quattro users will have to look into other ad services. Some may choose iAds, which work in a very different way (produced by Apple in collaboration). Others will probably go with a more conventional system.
Ah, I got you. I was under the impression that they were going to be moved to the iAds service.

MacKeeperFanMod

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Really, I don't see how this is that big a deal. It's not like most could tell you where they ever saw a "traditional" Quattro ad, although maybe that's the idea. In any case, Google pretty much has a stranglehold over traditional Web ads, so it's not a big deal for Apple to go this way with mobile Web ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.