Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last week, CNET shared a new rumor suggesting Apple is working on a pair of wire-free Powerbeats Wireless Earphones designed for workouts, similar in design to the AirPods. Today, those new earbuds, called the Powerbeats Pro, were spotted in iOS 12.2.

The iOS 12.2 update, which was released following Apple's event, has an image of the Powerbeats Pro discovered by 9to5Mac, giving us our first glimpse at what Apple's Beats-branded wire-free earbuds will look like.

powerbeatsproapple-800x802.jpg

The Powerbeats Pro show no wire between them and are housed in a Beats-branded charging case that will provide power and a place to store the Powerbeats when not in use. It appears the Powerbeats Pro will be available in both black and white.

It's not clear when Apple plans to release the Powerbeats Pro, but with imagery available in iOS 12.2, they could come relatively soon.

CNET says the new earbuds could include the H1 chip that's in Apple's recently released second-generation AirPods, and while not mentioned, it's possible the Powerbeats will also support wireless Qi charging.

The new Powerbeats could also offer better bass and water resistance than the AirPods, as well as the ability to stay in the ears during rigorous activity.

If that's the case, the Powerbeats could also be compatible with the long-awaited AirPower, which rumors suggest is supposed to be launching soon.

There's no word on what the new Powerbeats will cost. Apple priced the new AirPods with Wireless Charging Case at $199, and current Powerbeats also cost $199, so the price could stay the same or increase to match the AirPods price increase.

Article Link: Apple's New Wire-Free 'Powerbeats Pro' Pop Up in iOS 12.2

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
So how will Apple market these? AirPods are already shown in workout scenarios

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I prefer Apple's Beats products over Apple's Apple branded offerings at this point. The sound is richer and of course we have many more options. PowerBeats are okay. The new ones look very sleek. Studio 3 are fantastic. Looking forward to this one.

I still think AirPods look ridiculous...

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
Good question. Maybe as a cheaper, more affordable option to AirPods.
Beats cheaper than AirPods? I'd like to see that...:cool:

This is what I was actually looking forward to when they released the current AirPods, water resistant and is meant for heavy workouts. Now, I'm not sure if I should wait next year or get this one.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
So how will Apple market these? AirPods are already shown in workout scenarios

They market AirPods as Apple products and these as Beats products. So I don't see the conflict. Two different products from two different brands (same company behind the scenes) that do the same thing. Just as there are other brands on the market selling wireless earbuds that are good for workouts as well.

jml1982

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2015
Beats sound fine, and I prefer having a cord with the Beats X over the Airpods (it just feels safer for me when walking on a subway platform), but the Beats microphone really is subpar compared to the Airpods. I hope Beats gets better with that.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Got super excited for a second but damn, powerbeats are so uncomfortable.

Bose QC30 still the most comfortable earphones I've ever tried but they don't seem to be able to make them to last beyond a year before rubber comes away from neck band.

Still searching for the 'grail' wireless earphones.....

abrantes09

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2019
They market AirPods as Apple products and these as Beats products. So I don't see the conflict. Two different products from two different brands (same company behind the scenes) that do the same thing. Just as there are other brands on the market selling wireless earbuds that are good for workouts as well.
The issue is, Apple has always market the wired beats to the workout market for stability in the ear. With AirPods, this already happens without a wire.
[doublepost=1553547970][/doublepost]
Could these be the rumored second gen AirPods with heart rate sensors?
Good idea. The beats would need an exclusive feature to differentiate it, and it already has more than enough volume to fit it.

travis64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2008
NEW YORK
Still on the 1st gen wireless powerbeats, use them 2-4 times a week working out and they work great.
Now i kind of want them to break so i have a reason to get these.i don’t think i can sell them who wants ear wax and all the fake powerbeats out there.

Reactions: Superman730

abrantes09

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2019
I need these! EarPods or AirPods don't fit my ears. They can't even stay on.

You want to pay $200+ dollars so a pair of headphones could fit in you ear? You can by a $3 add-on for airpods to fit better and it would be nothing to the overexaggerated cost of Powerbeats.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Definitely looks sleek, but bulkier than AirPods. Probably doesn't have wireless charging either.

Bulkier but stay in pretty good. The only thing is how good will the mic be. I find the Apple airpod mic fantastic, better than any other headphones hands down. Bose's mic has a sensitive mic that picks up every tiny sound around it.

So not sure if these will be good for talking on the phone.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Ugh! It’s literally the same design with no cord, Jesus Christ Apple you’ve become a joke.

Reactions: rjp1

Jolson247

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
I buy over another pair or Airpods.

I would as well. Would rather have Beats X without the wire behind the neck but these may be worth a buy, review and keep/return depending on how I like them. Also interested to know if they have the "pause music" function if you take one out of your ear, like the AirPods.

Reactions: rjp1

abrantes09

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2019
Bulkier but stay in pretty good. The only thing is how good will the mic be. I find the Apple airpod mic fantastic, better than any other headphones hands down. Bose's mic has a sensitive mic that picks up every tiny sound around it.

So not sure if these will be good for talking on the phone.
I had these before airpods, and I found them uncomfortable and fragile. I have never had an airpod fall out of my ear once in the while I have had them.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I have AirPods and PowerBeats 3 (well the latter is buried somewhere at home!!) and whilst I’m certainly no audiophile I think the Beats sound slightly better from time to time. I also found I didn’t have to have the volume as high either.

havenyoung

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
You want to pay $200+ dollars so a pair of headphones could fit in you ear? You can by a $3 add-on for airpods to fit better and it would be nothing to the overexaggerated cost of Powerbeats.
Powerbeats get constant deep discount. And those AirPods add-ons don't work very well.
I did not say I was going to pay $200+ dollar for a pair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.