Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
49,688
11,004
AppleInsider.com updates with a report that revives rumors of an Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

The new peripherals are reported to match the new PowerMacs with an aluminum look as well as incorportate Bluetooth wireless technology. They will initially be offered as a build-to-order option.

Other hints of upcoming Bluetooth perhipherals:

hidden Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse support in Panther
Apple's KB/Mouse are now designated as 'Wired"
Mouse Connect/Disconnect and Keyboard Connect/Disconnect images embedded in Panther.
 

rafaelperini

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2002
21
0
Yeap, I think they are coming... after all the G5 is the first Powermac to sport a USB plug in the front (maybe because you cannot get a usb out of a bluetooth keyboard...)
 

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
764
260
Alberta, Canada
ummm

I just saw the new keyboard on sale at a shop in edmonton alberta. The tech smiled when I mentioned bluetooth but it's all plastic. They said this would be the same KB that will ship with the G5. It currently ships with the new eMacs. I touched it and almost bought it. By coincidence I was there to replace my KB with another through warranty. The mouse was the same mouse so far.

It was there.. real and on the shelf in quantity. Cute thing with 3 slots. Two of which were USB.
 

holy MAC!

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2003
101
0
you're looking at the Apple Mouse and Apple Keyboard

that's old stuff....

we're talking the next generation.

the PRO stuff
 

4409723

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
2,222
0
Re: ummm

Originally posted by iLilana
I just saw the new keyboard on sale at a shop in edmonton alberta. The tech smiled when I mentioned bluetooth but it's all plastic. They said this would be the same KB that will ship with the G5. It currently ships with the new eMacs. I touched it and almost bought it. By coincidence I was there to replace my KB with another through warranty. The mouse was the same mouse so far.

It was there.. real and on the shelf in quantity. Cute thing with 3 slots. Two of which were USB.
I think that's the standard option, not the BTO mentioned above.

EDIT: Semi-beaten to it 30 seconds ago.
 

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
3,974
0
St Augustine, FL
All we need now are bluetooth displays and some sort of high speed wireless way to connect a video/camera to our Macs and suddenly we have a nice wire-free desk :)
 

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
295
0
In Iraq now
Wire free iSight

Isn't iSight supposed to be built into future macs?

Some rumor place was saying that...

I mean, if they made an iPod dock connector like port at the top of displays, the bundled iSight could have a grip that locks it into place in that port. It would come with the computer, but you'd have to snap it into place. Would even work for powerbooks and ibooks if they designed it right. And that patches right through ADC for the external displays.

Now that would be cool.

Jaedreth
 

Haberdasher

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2002
142
0
Los Angeles, CA
Wireless, bluetooth, oh my

While the usefullness of a wireless keyboard is debatable when the average monitor size is probably 17", any new keyboard/mouse is very cool.
 

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
295
0
In Iraq now
kungfu, bobindashadws

I have a friend who has that problem in general. She calls it an SEP field, figuratively of course. For some unknown reason, nothing she says or does will be noticed no matter what, including the fact that she's even present. (Somebody Else's Problem, btw) Maybe you two are just too stealthy. *chuckles*

Try making more noise when posting...

Jaedreth
 

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
764
260
Alberta, Canada
Re: Re: ummm

Originally posted by Wes
I think that's the standard option, not the BTO mentioned above.

EDIT: Semi-beaten to it 30 seconds ago.

but i submitted 20 minutes before story popped up... The guys at the shop said no BTO config they know of.

I like it's look though.. and the cleanability. now to get the dust or crumbs off you just turn it upside down or spray with canned air.
 

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
764
260
Alberta, Canada
Re: kungfu, bobindashadws

Originally posted by jaedreth
I have a friend who has that problem in general. She calls it an SEP field, figuratively of course. For some unknown reason, nothing she says or does will be noticed no matter what, including the fact that she's even present. (Somebody Else's Problem, btw) Maybe you two are just too stealthy. *chuckles*

Try making more noise when posting...

Jaedreth
you read too much douglas adams
 

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
15,271
3,422
Re: Re: Re: ummm

Originally posted by iLilana
but i submitted 20 minutes before story popped up... The guys at the shop said no BTO config they know of.
This story, and your submission are unrelated. The keyboard you saw at the Apple Store has been shipping with the eMac for a few months now.

arn
 

Mr Jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2002
188
0
London, England
i am willing to bet my life this mouse will have 2 or more buttons.

notice how in the keynote when Jobs was demonstrating Exposé made a commont'...and if you have a two button mouse...' for me that seems strange for Steve Jobs to promote two buttons when his only has one. unless of course he already has one in the works.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/wwdc03/
 

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
317
208
ca
Apple better announce this before they start shipping G5's and also offer it through non apple stores or there will be a LOT of pissed off people!
 

jaedreth

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2003
295
0
In Iraq now
Wireless Input

Keep in mind, they are making a distinct naming difference:

The Wired are just Apple Mouse, Apple Keyboard, on the device itself. It's part description lists Apple Mouse (wired) and Apple Keyboard (wired).

However, the descriptions for the Bluetooth are not (Wireless) or Apple Wireless Mouse / Keyboard, but Apple Pro Mouse / Keyboard. Which didn't mean a damned thing in the old lineup because they were the only ones. Now it does, so I would expect at *least* a second button, if not a scroll wheel or touch wheel.

If Apple made a pro mouse better than anyone else's, Apple would have a lot of CTO's, which would mean that people are buying from Apple, not resellers. Only when the "Pro" becomes standard would resellers get it as anything but an add on.

Jaedreth
 

Docrjm

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2003
142
0
I do remember posting elements of a conversation with a guy on the Apple store. He when asked about new keyboard and mouse indicated that it was highly likely, but that he could not otherwise comment.
Guess its closer than we think.
 

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
419
0
Re: Wireless Input

Originally posted by jaedreth


If Apple made a pro mouse better than anyone else's, Apple would have a lot of CTO's, which would mean that people are buying from Apple, not resellers. Only when the "Pro" becomes standard would resellers get it as anything but an add on.

Jaedreth
Yeah, plus they'd be able to crank up margins like never before for these things.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.