Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple released a Wireless Keyboard and Mouse today.

The new peripherals cost $69.00 each and look similar to their wired counterparts. Both requires Mac OS X 10.2.6 or later and a bluetooth interface on your Macintosh.

The Keyboard uses 4 AA batteries while the Mouse uses 2 AA batteries. The batteries for the Keyboard are said to last 9 months, while the batteries for the Mouse are said to last 3 months.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Missed the boat here

Where is the second button and the scroll wheel - this is a very weak offering.

Damn thing looks like a dildo. ( A very wide one perhaps):p

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Well, the footprint of the keyboard is nice (very compact), but the function keys are crammed right up against the number keys - I like a gap there.

I take it the tiny return key is a US keyboard design flaw?

I really honestly think that it is time that Apple offered a two or three button mouse in addition to its one button mouse.

Also, the styling could match the G5 systems more.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Blah, blah, blah, no multiple buttons, no scroll wheel, blah, blah, blah.

Would you guys like to complain about the lack of a PowerBook G5 in here, too? :rolleyes:

NEXT.

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
one button? if they just had two buttons they would sell a million more.

I thought i might get first post there but not by a long shot.

Plus they're (probably?) going to bundle these mice with their pro machines. How unfortunate.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by simX

Would you guys like to complain about the lack of a PowerBook G5 in here, too? :rolleyes:

NEXT.
:rolleyes: back at you

The former is relevant to a thread about the new mouse! The latter isn't. So what is your point?

Apple should offer both a uni-button mouse and a mouse that will cater for the professionals as well. At least if they did then the jokes about single button mice can be resolved. Quite why Apple has consistently ignored its customers over this issue is beyond me. It is only a mouse.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
What a dissapointment, they look just like the apple "keyboard" and "mouse" they could have at least made they keyboard aluminum, like the powerbooks.. i for one will be sticking with the logitech MX700.

aethier

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Single button, and no wheel :confused: Ya know, that's the one thing about Apple that keeps my 8th grader from using the Mac in his computer lab...

HenrikDK

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2003
Kingdom of Denmark
So pleased that finally Apple is also offering a cordless mouse and keyboard, BUT a one-button mouse with no scroll whell / function..... that's simply not good enough in the year 2003.

Why doesn't Apple just offer two versions of their mouse (eg: a one-button mouse like the one just introduced and a 2-button mouse with scroll wheel / function)?

...or is that not possible using Bluetooth technology; I think MS' Bluetooth mouse has these features!?

crazedbytheheat

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by simX

NEXT.
So, you're saying you never have to control-click for a context menu or scroll through a long page of items? I recently had to point out to another potential Apple customer that you can go buy 3rd party mice to get extra buttons and a scroll wheel. This is clearly a weakness in the Apple line! I'm totally mystified as to why Apple refuses to accomodate the overwhelming demand of its cusomers in this area.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Yeah, Apple blew hard on this.

What happened to my dream rechargeable aluminum mouse w/ two buttons + a clickeable scrollwheel?

As someone posted in another forum...

"Apple can stick it up their :eek: "

tazznb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New Jersey
This mouse won't fare well against the cheese grater G5

Originally posted by punter
one button? if they just had two buttons they would sell a million more.

I thought i might get first post there but not by a long shot.

Plus they're (probably?) going to bundle these mice with their pro machines. How unfortunate.
Ummmmm... They aren't going to sell any mouse.

tazznb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New Jersey
I believe the mouse hiccup to be a Steve Jobs issue...

He's never going to be man enough to won up to the fact that the one button mouse looses badly to a mouse made elsehere.

Oh, well.... guess who won't be buying this wireless mouse-keyboard combo.:mad:

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
What a bunch of complainers!

They've at least given you the option!!!

And the 3rd party companies are still there to serve you.

If you wouldn't use one anyway, then it's unlikely that you'd use the regular wired ones anyway - you'd go 3rd party.

SO, if that's what you do, then it's a GOOD THING if they bundle them, as you'll get MORE BACK when you eBay them!

Whinge whinge whinge.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by gotohamish
What a bunch of complainers!

They've at least given you the option!!!
No they haven't! There is no 2 or 3 button mouse! What option is that?

There are no complaints about the bluetooth aspect!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by scottlee
OMG... still one button! :rolleyes:
https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=380969

Now that's funny...

At least people still have a two-button mouse to look forward to, maybe.

Then they can complain about the lack of scroll-wheels for awhile.

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
It's like you people never heard of the freakin page up and page down buttons.

Works much faster, and less prone to finger cramps and pain.

As for the right click.. the key command is usually faster anyway, so who cares? For those things where you NEED to control click, or for programs that require multi-button mice... they're 50 bucks. Go buy one.

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Is it just me, or do other people think that the sales of BT mice will be exactly zero?

Anyone think Apple may get the message then?

Anyone here actually going to buy one? I may get a KB but the mouse?!

Mark my words, the mice will start to become standard on BT enabled systems soon.

e.

ssamani

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
UK
Originally posted by Hattig

Go to a third party. If Apple makes a software product that pushes out a competitor, everyone complains about them abusing their position. If they don't compete with peripheral makers and abuse their position there, what happens? Everyone complains. Just go out and buy some other company's mouse.

Sanj

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Originally posted by johnnowak
It's like you people never heard of the freakin page up and page down buttons.

Works much faster, and less prone to finger cramps and pain.

As for the right click.. the key command is usually faster anyway, so who cares? For those things where you NEED to control click, or for programs that require multi-button mice... they're 50 bucks. Go buy one.
I did, but I was pi**ed that I didn't have a choice NOT to buy a single button mouse with my iMac. By all means force me to go and buy a peripheral I want, but don't force me to buy one I don't!

e.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by Hattig

I disagree. The option is with 3rd parties.

If Apple offered Apple-branded versions of everything the 3rd party vendors offered, then they'd all close down and not support the Mac platform - which is the opposite of what we need.

I would LOVE an Apple branded 2-button/scroll mouse, but as an *option* - but I understand their options for not doing so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.