Apple won't delay activation -- any solution?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mntentman, Nov 5, 2011.

1. mntentman macrumors regular

I have 4S reserved at Apple Store. It's for my son, who is at Marine base in CA. I am going out there from MN next week and wanted to bring it to him. But the store says the phone gets activated as soon as I purchase, and I don't want his old phone dead until I get there. Called AT&T and they said he could go to their store and buy new SIM card to use until I arrive... but he can't get off base. Does anyone who of any way to delay activation or to keep his old phone working? Thanks!

(I accidentally posted previously in wrong forum... hope not being bad by reposting here.)

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I don't think it's true that it's activated as soon as you purchase. You have to plug it in to iTunes to activate it the first time you use it. At least, that's how it works with pre-orders.

If you were to order it from Apple.com or AT&T (assuming you could get it in time) you would be fine. Just leave it in the box and have your son activate it when you get there. I guess it might be an issue if you go to a store and buy it, since they might they set it up/activate it for you in the store (i guess this is what the Apple guy was referring to).

I haven't bought an iPhone in an actual store, so I'm not sure how that works. Someone else probably knows though.

3. mntentman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response.

No, I know it activates as soon as they take it out of the box at the store and do whatever they do... had it happen when I got phone for my daughter. Hers went dead right away.

No time to order online....and he doesn't want to do it that way because of delivery issues at his base.

4. dave006, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

dave006 Contributor

dave006

The activation process at Apple is up to the individual store. Did you call the local store and ask or better yet swing by and speak to the manager about your specific situation.

Many Apple retail locations allow you to leave with the iPhone still in shrinkwrap to be activated at home or later. :)

Is your son's line part of your account so that you are the Account holder of record?

Dave

5. iTouch macrumors 6502

I don't think you have to. Just say you're really busy or running late and you will activate the phone at home. That should be fine.

6. mntentman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, Dave.

Yes, my son is on my account, and I am the account owner.

I called 800-MY-APPLE and asked them. They said the stores does not have to activate. I called local store back, and for better or worse, ended up with the same person I talked to in person. She checked again and still said no. Then she wanted a case number. I didn't have one, but asked if it would help -- yes, she said, so we can send word up the chain that they DO have to activate in the store. Sigh.

I called two other local Apple Stores, got same story from them. And I am not going to waste another two hours driving to the store and waiting in line to be told the same thing again... unfortunately, the people at the stores seem to be united on this.

Maybe "many" retail locations allow you to leave with the phone still shrink-wrapped but mine don't seem to be among them.

----------

Sorry, iTouch, they would not let me do the transaction without activation.

7. gb21 macrumors newbie

I was in a similar situation, here's what I did:

I purchased the phone at FULL PRICE (rather than subsidized), with the agreement that i will bring the phone back to the store when I am ready to disconnect the other one, return the phone at full price and repurchased it at the subsidized price (during which time they activated it)

this worked for me. They have no reason not to give you your reserved phone if you are willing to pay big price.

8. mntentman thread starter macrumors regular

I can understand why you did that, but it's ridiculous for them to make someone go through all that. In any case, we discussed that as an option when I was in the store, and it doesn't work for me anyway as I can't return the phone... I'm in Minnesota and I'm bringing the phone to my son in California.

9. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Not ideal, but pick up your iPhone and swing by an AT&T store for a reactivated sim for the old phone. Overnight said sim to your son, worse case he's without a phone for a day.

10. PNutts, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Is there an Apple Store near the base you could reserve a phone at (or the AT&T store you mentioned) and pick up the phone out there?

Edit: Or another retailer in your area (Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc.)? This kind of stuff chaps me.

Edit2: Give Applecare a call and explain the situation. They are typically very reasonable. 800-APL-CARE (800-275-2273)

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

11. aztooh macrumors 6502a

This is what I was going to say. Apple store isn't the only place to buy a phone..check other retailers.

12. mntentman thread starter macrumors regular

For every solution you have, unfortunately, I have a problem. He's on the Marine base and can't get off for several days so can't get to AT&T store. And even overnighting SIM, it wouldn't go out until Monday and the way they sort mail there, it could sit a week before it ends up in his hands.

But thanks for the ideas.

----------

PNutts, that's probably what we'll have to do. There is an Apple Store an hour away in Palm Springs. Not ideal, because his schedule in the military will make it hard to know when he can go in and pickup, but probably best option. He doesn't want mail delivery because he's afraid it might not work its way to him.

13. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I don't get the fear of the mail system. I had no problems with mail at any base, including being at a temp base in Kuwait. Insure it (for full retail value), get a tracking #. Or use UPS/FedEx.

14. vincent6396 macrumors member

Asked the manager at your Apple store to hold the phone til night before you leave or morning of the day you leave if you have time to stop by.

15. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I agree with this. When I purchased my 4 at an Apple store all the associate did was check my upgrade eligibility with AT&T and charge me for the phone. At the time I was upgrading from a 3G and all she asked was If I knew how to activate myself. I said yes, I was handed my unopened phone and sent on my way.

I ordered online this year so maybe they changed their policies since then?

16. mntentman thread starter macrumors regular

One local Apple Store I called said they would allow a 4 out the door unactivated, but not a 4S. Why? "They're new and we want to make sure people know how to use them." Huh? Well, that's not the reason, but whatever... I need to the 4S and they are not going to let it out unactivated.

None at BB, or elsewhere.

I've driving my son's car to him, so if I activated at last minute, he'd still have no phone for three days. Too long.

17. vincent6396 macrumors member

How about the new online order ship to the CA store near him?

18. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I think the best solution is just simply return your phone and buy a new phone right before you go see your son. Then activate it there.

19. trek360 macrumors 6502

I'm assuming they activate right away to make sure it is going to the end user and not ending up being sold elsewhere. Keep checking with stores and see if you can find a manager who will let you walk out with it unactivated.

FWIW, I bought at ATT and they offered to activate in store for me or walk out unactivated and do it on my own. The ATT receipt said any phone not activated within 7 days would be self activated.

There may be some incovenience here to make this work for you. You may also be able to mail him a prepaid phone to use while he is waiting for you to arrive. I know not the best solution, but at least it's something.

Keep working on Apple or maybe ATT has stock in your area.

20. mntentman thread starter macrumors regular

I think this is the best solution, thanks.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only way to delay activation is to buy it off-contract.

22. dave006 Contributor

dave006

I think only the 16 Apple stores around San Francisco are currently offering this "in store" pickup. You should double check that this is offered near your son's base.

Dave

23. KPOM macrumors G5

Why not have them replace the phone on your account with the iPhone? That way, you can simply take the SIM out of your phone and put the one from the 4S into it. Then when the phone arrives in CA, your son can put his SIM into it and activate it?

24. brand macrumors 601

brand

Do they not have landline phones where he is stationed? I don't see why he can't go with out a phone for three days in the military. I was in the Marine Corps so I know it is entirely possible.

25. mntentman thread starter macrumors regular

I realized after I posted, Dave, that that pickup is not available to him.

----------

Sure, it's possible. I really don't want him too, since I will need to be in contact with him as I travel. But that's not really the point anyway... the point is that there should be a way Apple can accommodate this situation, and they won't do it.

----------

My phone is a week-old iPhone 4S, so my phone can't be replaced. And, in any case, my son's phone is a 3G so I couldn't swap the SIMs if I wanted to.