Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During WWDC, Apple will be launching a Close Your Rings Challenge that's designed to motivate developers to close the three Apple Watch activity rings each day of the week, with the challenge starting on Sunday, June 3 and lasting through Thursday, June 7.

To participate, developers will need to download the Challenges app from the App Store and sign up on the developer website for a unique invitation code. Move ring calorie goals will be set by weight for the challenge, and developers are able to team up with up to four friends to earn points.

wwdcactivitychallenge-800x456.jpg

If everyone on the team closes their rings each day, teams will be eligible for bonus points. All individuals who earn 200 points or more during the challenge will earn a reward on Friday, June 8, which will be given out at the McEnery Convention Center.

Participants will earn one point for each 1/12 of the Move ring that's completed (capped at 36 points), 1 point for each 1/12th of the Exercise ring that's completed (capped at 36 points), and 1 point for each 1/12th of the Stand ring (capped at 14 points) that's completed every day.

Individuals will earn 12 bonus points for closing all three rings on the same day, while teams will earn four bonus points for each teammate who closes all three rings that day.

Through the Challenges app on the iPhone, participants will be able to view a Challenge leaderboard and if in a team, team rank and status. Team members will be able to send motivating nudges to one another, and an Apple Watch complication is available for viewing daily point total.

Apple does not mention what the prizes are for winning the challenge, but for similar employee challenges in the past, Apple has given out unique pins, Apple Watch bands, and t-shirts.

The Close Your Rings WWDC challenge is limited to those who are attending WWDC, as the prizes will be given out in person at the end of the week. Attendees who want to participate can get an invitation code on Apple's developer site.

Article Link: Apple Hosting 'Close Your Rings' Apple Watch Activity Challenge for Developers at WWDC

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Apple really needs a similar app to make their fitness aspect more like Fitbit. The company that owns challenges sucks at marketing. I handle wellness for my employer and have emailed them several times wanting a quote on cost to utilize for our employees, and they never responded.

As a poster below mentions “bitter”. Not really, just shocked that when inquiring about the cost of said software/system the question goes unanswered.

Having this functionality for personal and work challenges would be very beneficial.

Last edited:
Reactions: xalea

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Apple really needs a similar app to make their fitness aspect more like Fitbit. This company sucks at marketing. I handle wellness for my employer and have emailed the company several times wanting a quote on cost to utilize for our employees, and they never respond.

Having this functionality for personal and work challenges would be very beneficial.
Apple sucks at marketing..? What?

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
No, sorry - the company behind the “challenges” app.

Not Apple - that’s certainly their strength.

Reactions: bbednarz

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Apple really needs a similar app to make their fitness aspect more like Fitbit. This company sucks at marketing. I handle wellness for my employer and have emailed the company several times wanting a quote on cost to utilize for our employees, and they never respond.

Sounds like you're just bitter they didn't get back to you. Also sounds like you reached out through the wrong contact or channel.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Sounds like you're just bitter they didn't get back to you. Also sounds like you reached out through the wrong contact or channel.

Nope, not bitter, more like delusional. Apple certainly makes people feel like they are a part of something when walking into a store to hand them $$$$$.. But unless you are part of Apple's close-knit mafioso inner social circle, you are nothing to them.

It's called "emotional marketing" for a reason. But "feelings" are not mutual.

rcooked

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2015
Nope, just surprised. Reached out through the contact they gave me on Twitter.

Their loss of revenue, not mine.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
I am so excited about this WWDC. I hope they have lots of great things for the Apple Watch :)

Ehh, it's the same cycle every time. We all get excited for WWDC, it comes around, we watch it, everyone's disappointed as 'didn't feel better than last year' then slowly as products and update details come out we get excited again and so on and so forth. Rinse. Repeat. Every. Year.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Because encouraging people to exercise who bought an exercise device is a stupid gimmick? Everybody I know with an Apple Watch loves the rings, and the motivation they can give you. For a device in this segment this is genius.

If you need a device to encourage/motivate/blah/blah... you to exercise, you are doing it wrong and will eventually fail. Maintaining your health is the primary motivation for exercise.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Before they do that, the issue with the watch unable to properly adapt to the user going to a different time zone shall be fixed first.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
If you need a device to encourage/motivate/blah/blah... you to exercise, you are doing it wrong and will eventually fail. Maintaining your health is the primary motivation for exercise.

Err, wrong. The point is to start getting you into a habit, and it uses the reward system of your brain. Once you get into a habit, continuing to excericse is much easier, no matter what the reason. Also changes in your body don’t happen instantly and it helps a good bunch of people to see their making progress somewhere.

There’s a reason it’s recommend to exercise with somebody - encouragement.

Last edited:
Reactions: aliensporebomb

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Because encouraging people to exercise who bought an exercise device is a stupid gimmick? Everybody I know with an Apple Watch loves the rings, and the motivation they can give you. For a device in this segment this is genius.
I find it kinda sad that they have to make games out of it when we’re talking about something that should be top priority: your health. It’s your most important asset.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
I find it kinda sad that they have to make games out of it when we’re talking about something that should be top priority: your health. It’s your most important asset.

Humans aren’t wired to think about our problems 10/20/30 years down the line. If you arent actively feeling bad it makes sense how we can just ignore it. It’s definitely a massive issue facing many nations at the moment though.

Reactions: mariusignorello

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

You’re right, it is sad. People are pathetically lazy despite so much knowledge about the consequences. They don’t even try to stay healthy for their children these days.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
There have been more than a few days where I feel like I just want to lay around and do nothing. Then I'll remember my move streak and it'll give me that little "umph" to get going. Also the late night notification where I am about 50 calories short. Those are pushups/situps/walks that wouldnt have been done had the watch not pushed me to do them, but I guess that is sad...
[doublepost=1527638390][/doublepost]
I don't understand this line of thinking. The hardest part about working out is starting. Its a good thing if the watch gives someone motivation to get started. Once you start seeing and feeling the results it becomes addicting. What does it matter how they get started?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.