Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleGoat

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
I haven't posted here in a long time. I was here anticipating refreshes and what not with the rest of you but once I, at last, got my 2014 15" rMBP I have been happier than a pig in ****. The compulsion to come here has, as a consequence, faded.

Anyhow, I was asked about the availability of the iPhone 7+and wound up checking out the latest MacBook lineup on Apple's Website. I expect what I am about to say has been harped on quite a bit...

HOW IS APPLE STILL OFFERING THE CLASSIC MACBOOK PRO AT FULL PRICE!?!?! It hasn't gotten a friggin' hardware update since 2012. That's Ivy Bridge if I'm not mistaken? I understand some folks are desperately clinging to their optical drives and the cMBP serves their needs but c'mon Apple.

If you're gonna keep it around and you fear lowering the price would cannibalize the rMBP sales, at least upgrade the internals a bit. Unadulterated greed.

Reactions: AdonisSMU and ABC5S

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
HOW IS APPLE STILL OFFERING THE CLASSIC MACBOOK PRO AT FULL PRICE!?!?! It hasn't gotten a friggin' hardware update since 2012. That's Ivy Bridge if I'm not mistaken? I understand some folks are desperately clinging to their optical drives and the cMBP serves their needs but c'mon Apple.

If you're gonna keep it around and you fear lowering the price would cannibalize the rMBP sales, at least upgrade the internals a bit. Unadulterated greed.

If people keep buying it, Apple will keep selling it. I'm not sure if there's a simpler way to explain it.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I haven't posted here in a long time. I was here anticipating refreshes and what not with the rest of you but once I, at last, got my 2014 15" rMBP I have been happier than a pig in ****. The compulsion to come here has, as a consequence, faded.

Anyhow, I was asked about the availability of the iPhone 7+and wound up checking out the latest MacBook lineup on Apple's Website. I expect what I am about to say has been harped on quite a bit...

In some respects it is a better than the rMBP 13. Sure the CPU is older. But does that that mean it is substantially slower? No. In the real world the difference is not that noticeable. But what does slow the system down is the rotational drive. No problem. At any time you can open the case with 2 screwdrivers and replace the drive with a fast SSD. And while you are in there update the memory to 16 GB. And you can do this all for a $200+ with parts you can by on Amazon.

For those of us with the rMBP (I own a 2015 15" rmbp with dgpu) we can upgrade by, buying a new system, or maybe going onto ebay and buying a used SSD pulled from a scraped rMBP.

And the 2012 MBP design weighs one pound more and has a lower res display. But at least the display does not suffer from delamination.

I wish the classic MBP was cheaper, but people keep buying them.

It is all about choices.

Reactions: Fishrrman

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2009
I'm in the same mindset that it shouldn't be full price, but if I'm playing devil's advocate, that's only one generation of processors behind the 15" rMBP (Haswell), which itself is a generation of processors behind the 13" rMBP (Broadwell). So probably in performance metrics it can stand up as the lower-priced option, but I doubt anything else on the market still comes with a 3rd gen i5 (although I haven't checked).

totes_not_lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 14, 2016

Agreed. Keep it around by all means but it should be, what, $800 by this point? It's still a well engineered machine fits a nice for some who want to customise but the price is crazy. Come to that the rMBPs could do with a little price drop pending Kaby Lake

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Agreed. Keep it around by all means but it should be, what, $800 by this point? It's still a well engineered machine fits a nice for some who want to customise but the price is crazy. Come to that the rMBPs could do with a little price drop pending Kaby Lake

You can find them in the $800-850 range pretty regularly if you shop around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.