AppleCare+ Accidental Damage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pogiboi, Sep 14, 2012.

1. pogiboi macrumors regular

2. mactmaster macrumors 6502

3. pogiboi thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick reply

4. ribbon macrumors member

does this mean that i've i had applecare+, after having the iphone for 6 months (for example), i can send it to have the back of the iphone replaced by a new one (let's supposed it's really scratched), "just" by paying $50?

5. mactmaster macrumors 6502

Yes keep in mind you can only do it twice. Also, they usually just give you a whole new unit rather than replacing parts. I imagine even more so now with the single machine body on the iPhone 5.

6. ribbon macrumors member

ok, so then... why would anyone want to use any kind of case? people here spends easily $100 on cases for their iphones. so if this is correct, for a little bit more you can have a brand new iphone when your current one is damaged.

I didn't know about this when I got mi iPhone 4 :)

7. pogiboi thread starter macrumors regular

Yea this seems like a pretty good deal, not sure why I didn't see this before.

8. boxster99t macrumors member

The next iPhone I break will be the first one I've broken. Had the original iPhone for three years, the iPhone 4 for two years and in a week will have the iPhone 5. My iPhone 4 doesn't have a mark on it--I do have the bumper (solely because it was too slippery naked). The warranty seems like an expensive plan for me to guard against cosmetic damage. $99 for the warranty and $49 to claim an accidental damage. I cannot see spending the money, for apple care+, but that's just me.

9. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

See I thought of this too, but I feel as if this phone will have replacement screens for cracks like they did for the 3G and 3Gs. If this is the case, I'd imagine for a display issue they will swap that out for the $50 rather than the entire device if all else is well.

10. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

11. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I've never understood why people want to put their beautiful iPhones into those Otterbox Defenders. They completely obscure the sleek design and beauty of the phone, and make it twice as large.

Now, you certainly aren't the only one as I seem them all the time. I just personally have never understood it.

12. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Lets see I just spent $800 on a phone why would I want to get it scratched or ruined on the first day . $40 investment in a case makes sense when your clumsy or if you might want to resale your phone in the future. I have never had a scratch or a dent on any of my phones. Now hopefully I didn't just jink myself by saying that :cool:

13. brig2221 macrumors 6502

I get that, and I wasn't trying to be rude or condescending about it. It's everyone's personal choice what they do. However, I think a lot of people frame the issue that they must armor up the phone lest it get broken, or get a scratch (not saying you did this).

I think there is a lot of room in between, and I also think Apple goes through great lengths (iPhone 4 and 4S glass not withstanding) to design their phones to where you don't have to armor them up.

In the end though, it is a $650-$850 device, which a lot of people forget due to subsidized pricing, but soon learn once they break their phone.

14. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I have no problem with what you are saying and I understand the case vs no case debate cause I am always switching from a thin case back to the otterbox with my current droid phone depending on the situation . I do spend lots of time on and around the water so once Life Proof comes out with a waterpoof case I will more than likely switch to that . Have a good one