Applecare+ and Verizon insurance question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidra, Mar 13, 2013.

1. davidra macrumors 6502

A little complicated but I lost a 4S and had to replace it after 8months of use. Sprint got in touch with Apple and arranged a transfer of Applecare+ to the replacement phone. Now, with 6 months left on my contract I am switching to Verizon.
    1. My guess is that I cannot transfer that remaining amount of Applecare+ to a new phone, correct?
    2. If that is the case and I sell it to someone, it will be covered until the Applecare runs out?
    3. How would you compare Applecare+ and the insurance Verizon pushes (which appears to cost more but covers loss or theft, with a $170 deductible).

2. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

1. Correct, the :apple:care+ is for the phone you purchase or its replacement.

2. Correct, again. :apple:care+ is transferrable, so it would stay with the phone. Though the grey area would be that it's a replacement phone.

3. I'm a VZ customer and I have :apple:care+. The overall cost of the insurance plus the $170 deductable made :apple:care+ a no brainer. Also take into account that I haven't lost a mobile phone since 2000, so the loss doesn't carry much weight to me. The VZ insurance is $8/month, if memory serves me correct. So the total cost would be $192 in monthly fees + the $170 deductable (which you can do twice per 12 months). Or :apple:care+ for $99 + the $50 fee up to twice. If you plan on not losing another phone :apple:care+ is the way to go.

3. mattopotamus, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You can actually get reimbursed for the remainder of your applecare+ if you get a new phone. It is something like -$20 from the initial purchase, and then they prorate the rest. You probably could get $30ish back. Everytime I get an iphone I get applecare+. I contact applecare+ via phone, and they send me back a prorated amount. For example applecare+ is $99.....if I had it for a year and got a new iphone I would get back right at $30 for that unused last year. It is in the user agreement where they mention this.

4. takeshi74, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

If loss/theft coverage is desired then Applecare+ is irrelevant. That said, loss/theft certainly concern concern me but I'm no fan of Asurion while I have much more trust in Apple's refurbs and support so I have Applecare+. There are other insurance options as well if loss/theft coverage is desired. Each person needs to decide based on individual preferences/needs/budget/etc.

Asurion's deductible does seem high (see below).

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/features/calling_features/equipment_protection.html

...and keep in mind that an Apple out-of-warranty replacement for a 4s is $199.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

5. pirarre macrumors 6502

I'm in the boat. I just switched to Verizon and grabbed a iP5 too. However, I opted on going with the Verizon Insurance. However, I'm now considering cancelling it and either going with Applecare+ or Squaretrade.

With Square trade you can get 2 years coverage for either upfront payment of $99 w/ a $50 deductible or $5.99 a month w/ $50 deductible. Which includes up to 4 replacements and covers everything that Applecare+ covers. Applecare+ only allows 2 replacements, if I'm not mistaken. Also in the event you take your iphone to the Apple Store to get repaired and you pay for it, Squaretrade reimburses you the cost.

The reason for me to choose Applecare+ is because there is an Apple Store in my area. And when I previously went there to have items looked at (Macbook, previous iphones) they've always displayed top notch customer service. I got a replacement iphone 5 right on the spot with no waiting and got my macbook repaired free of charge.

But nevertheless, those are my choices

6. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Verizon insurance is horrible just like their customer service. Get the AppleCare.

7. davidra thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, now it's $12/month. Thanks for the input....Applecare it is.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Providing you haven't claimed, you can get a pro-rata'd refund of AppleCare. However, it's probably not worth it.

9. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

I'm on VZW, too. The big selling point for me was that with Asurion you get a refurbished device, which is basically a used phone and nothing more. Through AppleCare+ you get a remanufactured phone with a brand new outer shell, battery, and screen. The fact the AppleCare is cheaper in the long run is a nice bonus.