AppleCare+ Battery Replacement/Swap

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thelatinist, Apr 1, 2013.

1. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I've got a nearly two-year old iPhone 4S with AppleCare+ that has treated me very well, but I am of course getting significantly reduced battery life after hundreds of cycles. Has anyone tried swapping out such a phone at an Apple store under the AppleCare+ plan? Did they give you any hassle about it? I'd like to take care of it before my AppleCare+ plan runs out.

2. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Doesn't AppleCare+ only cover accidental damages? Battery discharge isn't accidental unless you're hemorrhaging the charge.

3. thelatinist thread starter macrumors 603

thelatinist

AppleCare+ extends the factory warranty to two years as well as providing accidental damage coverage with a $49 deductible. According to the website:

Which reminds me, I should probably get the earphones that are falling apart replaced.

4. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Right, but what I'm saying is that batteries naturally lose their charge, so unless the rate at which your battery was losing the charge is abnormal, you're not going to get a free replacement under warranty.

5. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

What if he were to drop his phone and shatter the screen? What then?

6. ToddH macrumors 6502a

ToddH

If you have had that phone for nearly two years, it's time for an upgrade, iPhone 5 perhaps? The battery can't be swapped out, they would have to replace the phone. But like I said, at nearly two years old, unless you like the 4s, I would upgrade.

T

7. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Then coverage would be in his favor since that would count as accidental damage, something AppleCare+ covers.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

No, they can replace the battery.

9. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

"During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax."

From http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

So, I suppose Apple geniuses run a diagnostic and see if the battery capacity has been severely compromised and see if your phone can be replaced. I'd check to see if there's anything else wrong with the phone that could help you get it replaced if you'd like to get a new one. My 4S is currently having a camera issue with third party apps, but my AppleCare runs til November and its jailbroken, so I'm dealing for now until iOS 7.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, they won't give you any hassle about it, as long as you do this before AppleCare+ runs out.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Home come people buy these insurance blah-blah, but don't know what they cover you for?