Applecare-days outside the 1 yr period and being refused Applecare-anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by finger11, Jun 19, 2008.

1. finger11 macrumors member

Hi all,
    Purchased a MBP from the online store, received June 12, 2007. A few days back (think it was June 14), I went into an AppleStore and they let me know that b/c I was just outside the 1 yr period, I would have to call AppleCare, and they would likely put it on regardless.

Through no ones's fault but my own, I didn't end up getting through to them until today (June 17) and was flatly refused AppleCare. I transferred to a supervisor in Customer Relations, and was still refused.

They have told me to write in to Corporate Complaints but I'm not putting much stock in getting a successful answer.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation or know of someone who has?

I know it's no one's fault but my own, but I'd like to do everything possible to get AppleCare.

Thanks.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Then that's what you'll have to do.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yeah, that's a tough one. But, looking at it from Apple's side, they do have to draw the line somewhere. Honey will get you more than vinegar there. Best of luck.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There might be some sympathy, but don't mention you'll put in a good word on the forum, because that's the last thing Apple wants. They might allow you to sneak in, but they are probably going to side with the one-year period. People cannot wait until something goes wrong to finally purchase something that has been available to them for 365 1/4 days.

5. Denali9 macrumors member

same happened to me, call on the 8th of June and i bought the laptop on the 7th of june. Was not able to get it. Hate it now i am afraid to really push my MBP especially since I had a logic board replacement. But as was said, i understand, they have to draw a line.

Next time i buy it up front for an Apple laptop.

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Its outside the year. Why do you think they would allow you to buy
    Applecare? Its pretty black and white.

7. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

They need to draw the line somewhere, and that is clearly one year. If they give it to you for only 2 days, the next guy 5 days after will say well its only 3 days after him and so on.

8. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

The MB received a performance update in august 2007. So I think the MBP did too. Where am I going? Sell your june notebook to someone that does not care about chips or warranties. Get a refurb 2.2 MBP for $1449.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink that the OP needs something done. This is because they wouldnt be wanting a $350 warranty, that they could have bought earlier (for a year). Unless something needed to be done, presumably that would cost more then the $350.

10. AZ-GT macrumors member

You said it - your fault. No reason Apple should make an exception.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Nor will they, no matter who he/she writes to so it is rather a moot issue.

With Applecare it's truly a case of you snooze you lose. I had a logic board fail on an iMac 6 weeks out of the limited warranty and paid $550 for it. In that case I had not forgotten but was just trying to save the cost of Applecare.

I bought Applecare for my current iMac within 2 weeks of the machine's purchase though. :eek:

12. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I've seen another thread and I'm sure this won't be the last but COME ON PEOPLE.

You have 365 days. even at a dollar a day you could still squeeze off Apple Care before your time runs out.

Apple is doing right IMO to stick with the 1yr rule.

I'll use an example I've used in another thread:

User: "I'd like to purchase Apple Care Please"
    Apple: "Sorry your outside your 1yr complimentary window"
    User: "Awww come on, plz let me slide"
    Apple: "Ohhh alright, sure here's your Apple Care"
    User: "Woohoo thx a bunch"
    Apple: "No problem will there be anything else I can help you with today"
    User: "Yah, now that I'm now under warranty, my Mac don't work, I think it's a logic board or something"
    Apple: "Ok I feel like an A$$"

13. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Don't know if Apple has changed,

but in the past when i purchased a desktop computer or an iBook, a month before the year would be up I would get a call from Apple to remind me to purchase AppleCare.

A friend down the street asked me about AppleCare for his Mac Mini, called a week after the one year and was refused.

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This is in no way Apple's obligation. They advertise the Applecare coverage because it is of course a profitable business for them. The onus to remember to purchase in time lies solely with the end user.

If you're trying to insinuate that Apple would in any way be liable or lax in their ways because they didn't remind someone to buy Applecare before their window of opportunity closed I think that's ridiculous.

15. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

If you're insinuating that someone would insinuate that, then that's ridiculous.:D

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Apparently they are reminding people now. I got a letter from Apple about two weeks ago stating that the warranty on my MBP is about to expire. I'm not going to buy Applecare because my MBP has been problem free during this year. I will likely do the same for my other Macs if they are problem free during their first year.

17. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Yea, I've got reminders from them too and it is helpful. I like to get applecare for my computers but I got a notice on an ipod this week and I'll let it expire.

18. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I don't know if they would for you or not. Last summer when my iPod 4th gen started acting up I tried to get service on the one year from purchase date. The AppleCare website said the warranty was up. I jumped the gun because I was panicked and emailed Steve Jobs (yes, the ceo!) I got a very nice reply and they called and talked to me. They reminded me that I was emailing the head of a international corporation... so that probably is not a good idea. They told me to send it in for repair. However before Apple got back to me I fixed the iPod with the 'slap on the back' repair. Now it worked again, and THEN Apple calls back! Ugh.. They sent it back saying it needed no repair.:mad:
    At least I got a new one for Christmas.:D
    It seems like you waited too long on your MBP though.:(:apple:

19. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Nawton, if you're insinuating that I am insinuating that someone would insinuate that...

Seriously, it is obviously in Apple's best interest to "remind" people to get Applecare since it is a hugely profitable business for them.

However, the defense that "Apple always used to remind me a month in advance of expiration and this time they didn't so they should let me slide" is a bit hilarious.:p

20. Padraig macrumors 6502a

By any chance, are you in Europe? If you are, you're in luck because you're entitled to two years cover under European law.

21. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Not totally true as far as I know. The first year you have unlimited warranty, but if something happens in the second year you'll have to prove that the fault was there from the beginning. Something that's actually quite hard.

And yes, apple can make their own rules and if you don't like them don't buy their products. But I'd really love to see them giving a 2 years standard warranty, like almost every other computer manufacturer.

I got apple care for my iMac now, but didn't for my PowerBook. No big deal so far though, it's even outside of the 3 years now, and all that broke was the backlit keyboard. Something I can easily live without. And still, if I wanted to get it repaired it would cost 150 €, less than half the cost of apple care. Guess I was lucky with the pb.

I was often tempted to get it repaired though, and to get a bigger hd. But somehow I know if I do that now the logic board would break within the next 2 months. If I keep the pb like it is though, it'll run forever. :)

22. disdat macrumors regular

disdat

I don't know if this is true for other countries, but in the US, if you purchase w/ a MC or Visa, chances are you are covered for another year anyway.

Call the credit card company and ask about their extended warranties. They will have to authorize the repair, and you might have to pay Apple for the repair, and then get reimbursed for the cost from the cc company.

23. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

24. emac82 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I personally don't feel you should ask for Apple to make this exception for you.

I mean, like others have said, they give you a WHOLE year...Most other "service protection plans" you have to buy at purchase, or within 30 days...

25. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Most? Haha, try getting 2yrs standard warranty from Dell without paying for it.

keyword 'EITHER' and most Dell standard warranties are 1yr, anything more cost extra. Wait, that sounds like Apple Care. And yes they and Apple WILL fix a product but it will cost, same as Dell, it costs.

HP is also 1yr standard. So that's 2 big name companies down, We can pull others, so where's this "most" your talking about?

I can say with easy to find google proof that MOST computer companies offer 1yr standard with the option to buy more at a cost. Same with Apple.

The only big difference I see is that (like with Dell for example) you can opt for more years of warranty, but then again, Apple Care is 3yrs which is still the most time others offer as well.