Applecare expires on July 5... Can I take it in on the 5th?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaceballl, Jun 29, 2015.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Potentially dumb question... my applecare expires on July 5. Does that mean the 4th day is the last day I can take it in? Or the 5th? I'm out of town until the 5th...

My wife, however, might be able to take my MacBook in for service before then. Would she be able to take it in, even though it's registered to me?

2. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Call Apple ASAP to create a case number dated well before July 5th. Then make an appt. with your Apple Store. They cannot dispute it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd call and say you have an issue and deal with it sooner as mentioned. You're rolling the dice on whether apple will accept warranty work after July 4th. They may and they may not. Plus I believe stores may be open on the 4th of July so its not like you'll not have a chance to bring it in.

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I won't be able to bring it in before the 5th, unless it's okay for my wife to bring it in. I'm out of town until then. I appreciate the two pieces of advice. I should call first.

5. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

Your wife will be allowed to bring it in. But, it is important to get it into the system, now. Apple will honor the case number proving the computer was in need of repair before the expiration of AppleCare. When calling Apple, have the serial number available, whether it's you or your wife calling. You will get an email confirmation. They may ask you to go online to set up a day to bring it in. You can also set up the appt. before hand. Either way, following these steps will assure coverage. Don't wait too long! Good luck.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

This is the best solution. Apple doesn't care who bought the computer originally or whose name it is. As long as it is not reported stolen and it hasn't been locked, your wife can take it in no problem.

7. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hey All,

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. I was ale to get my wife to take it in on July 2. There was no issue. They replaced the screen - no more dead pixels, they replaced the battery, and they also replaced the heatsink (this was something they must have discovered / decided to do at the depot - i didn't report issues with it).

I'm a happy camper! I've had my rMBP now for just over 3 years, the Applecare warranty is no more, but as they replaced the entire top enclosure with the screen, it looks and feels like a new computer. I had forgotten that this 15" machine actually has a decent battery life... and I also thought it just got super hot because of the external graphics card, and while it still does get hot, it's way more manageable. Was very impressed at how quickly it was turned around. I dropped it off on a Thursday. Friday was a National Holiday. Sat / Sun were weekends. I got it on Monday.

Thanks!

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Great news, we often only hear of the issues/problems (just the natural usage of a forum), so its always nice to hear when the good things occur :D