Applecare for £47 worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anotherarunan, Nov 28, 2007.

1. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Hey guys, i am a student on a tight budget and am going to get a 2.2MB in the next week. I saw i can get applecare for £47...but am wondering if its worth it? Will i need it? Ive heard students get a 3 yr guarantee with apple as standard..so is the extra £47 worth it?

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Put the £47 towards some RAM or something. You really going to keep the machine for three years?

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

If you are on a tight budget, get APPLECARE!!! It will save your computer if something fails after the warranty.

Logic Board Fails: EST. price from AppleCare...$1000
    With Applecare: Free after paying for AppleCare

If you plan on upgrading your computer in a year (I do not see why you would??) then you don't need it.

I say do it!

4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Depends, if you have applecare on a piece of hardware, its alot easier to sell. When I sold my previous Mac's, it pushed the price up a few notches - which worked out great for the resale value.

5. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

well....i plan on keeping it for 1.5 - 2 years at least :confused: (until i can get a part-time job and save up for a MBP)

....out of interest..what is the usual life-expectancy of a macbook? (as in, how long will it be a reasonably high power laptop for general use)

6. 119576 Guest

The majority of people do.

By the way, I definitely recommend getting applecare. :)

7. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Buy the APpleCare, just to be on the safe side.

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

That can't really be determined. I would say (with AppleCare) you can get over 4 years...probably more! Remember, MB with AppleCare resell higher than without! I run all my computers on a 2 year plan. So I sell all my electronic stuff (that is 2 years or older). Prices on stuff falls every year as new better stuff comes out. I have an ATI video card...x800 I think 256MB that I bought in 2004 and it was about $500. Now it sells for about $60. I say what you are doing (selling in about 2 years) is perfect and I say get AppleCare. Right after my iBook 1 year died, I had 4 repairs that was covered by AppleCare.

9. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Like anything, treat it with care and respect, and it will last a long time. Abuse it, throw it around, it'll only last you a year.

I always find it funny the number who complain that their machine lasts only zyx time and yet, treated it like garbage.

Edit: btw, I have a 3 year Apple care on this, I tend to run my machines into the ground, and buy a new one. For me, a computer is something to be used, so resale is a non-issue.

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Thats one major thing. Take care of your computer. My iBook had little wear and was in perfect condition, and my MacBook is still in perfect condition. But, just because you keep it clean doesnt mean that hardware won't fail. The hardware in computers is very fragile, so if something happens, it fails...and that leads to repairs...and that leads to where AppleCare comes in!!

11. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

True. I'm careful, not because of ascetic beauty but what untold damage I could do inside - alot which might not show up until months later. A knock here, a bump there, a jolt there, it all adds up.

12. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

13. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

erm why? just for hardware reasons?

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Applecare means you've got more options to call and sort stuff out.

The UK edu 3 yr warranty doesn't give you access to phone support but will cover hardware/labour costs. It's up to you - I'd suggest using the £47 to cover the cost of listing your laptop as a separate item on your household insurance over the three years so that if it gets dropped/dented/damaged, it's still covered for repair.

15. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I got Applecare on a my 1.5 G4 PB and didn't have to use it till almost a week till it expired because my HD crapped out and my track pad was not responding very well. Just these two fairly easy fixes would have cost me well more than the cost of AppleCare so it paid off for me at least.

I say:

Desktops = no
    Laptops = yes

16. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Laptops are generally flakier. I've had no issues with the iMacs and Mac Minis I've owned, but I've had nothing but trouble with the two MacBooks I've bought

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd get Applecare its only £47, and it means you won't run into problems with getting phone help to check if the issue is a hardware one or not.

18. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

47 pounds is about what, $100 canadian?
    Put a link up, ill buy it for that!

19. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I wouldn't say flakier, just the fact that with constant movement, there is a higher risk of damage that might not 'appear' until months later.

20. anotherarunan thread starter macrumors 6502

its on the UK higher education store (for university students)...and i think you only get it at that price if you order at the same time as purchasing of a MB. im not sure if canada has the same student deal :confused:

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

For £47 it's a bargain, I'd definitely get it. Blood students :p

22. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Not all of us are bad.... ;), but then I'm "mature" :eek:

Out of interest where is it £47? I just looked through my uni page and it's £58.75 (£50 +VAT).

23. PimpsMac macrumors newbie

If your computer holds up in the first year with no problems, then it's highly unlikely you have a dud. Of course that logic isn't full proof, so here's what you could do. Just wait until the standard 1 year warranty is expired, and buy another 2 years of apple care. You can find them cheap on ebay(I've seen as low as $130 on macbooks).

24. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

There you go

25. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

EDIT: ignore me - I'm looking at MBPs not Macbooks.

Mature = senile ;)