AppleCare+ for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacPro23, Oct 3, 2012.

1. MacPro23 macrumors member

I got the iPhone 5 32GB and was thinking about purchasing AppleCare+ for $99. Is the out-of-warranty replacement cost $299 for a 32GB iPhone 5? Is it worth it to get AppleCare+? And since I pre-ordered this phone when is the last day I can decide to add it?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

you have 30 days from purchase to decide if you want to add applecare+ (you can still had it if it has not shipped, they will add it to your web order).

a 32gb i5 replacement cost is $229

is it worth it? That is for you to decide. If you think you may only destroy the phone once maybe. applecare+ with one replacement will cost $150...only a $79 difference and you only pay if you need it. If you need to do it twice you are talking about $258 difference.

3. cwosigns macrumors 65816

I'm unsure of the replacement costs. But you have 30 days to purchase, and generally requires you to visit an Apple Store so that they can inspect the phone for damage, though some report that they've purchase over the phone.

4. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

My favorite thing about AppleCare+ is the advance replacement aspect. I can get a replacement the next day before my own is back in their hands.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

or if you are close to a store, you can walk in and walk out with a new phone and not have to pay the ERS fee :)

6. cmeisenzahl macrumors 6502

7. katai macrumors regular

I have a 32gb and will be getting AppleCare soon. I want to use phone caseless when not at work.

8. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Certainly worth it to me. Agree on express replacement being included.

9. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Agree it's worth the peace of mind. Also helps resale if you are crazy like me and end up getting a new phone every year (can advertise on eBay that it has a year of AppleCare+ left on it)...

10. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I'm 100 miles away from two Apple stores. Makes a difference for me.

11. Dssk macrumors newbie

:( I am so careful with my iPhone, well.......except until an hour ago when I got out of the car and it fell on the ground.

Part of the screen glass is chipped and I am totally upset at myself and turned off by my iPhone5. I have Applecare+ on it, but have never used it.

Do I just call them and tell them what happened and they will send a replacement? Just yesterday I was thinking about getting it replaced since the video on it gets messed up randomly when the keyboard pulls up. I read online that its a software issue, but I don't think everyone is having the same issue.

Please advise! Thanks

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

make a genius appointment if you are close to a store, and you will walk in with the damaged phone and out with a new phone. That is something I am very careful about...leaving my phone in my lap when driving. It is so easy to forget it is there.

13. dave420 macrumors 65816

I'm getting one replaced for that same issue as well. Given the number of people having the problem it seems like it would be a software issue, but when I called Apple they said it was a hardware issue.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

You'll have 30 days from receipt if you bring it into a store. If you weren't offered the option of buying AppleCare+ during the pre-order, you may also get an e-mail from Apple a few days after you receive your phone letting you request it at that time by replying to the e-mail, and without needing to bring it in.

15. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

what do you guys mean the video gets messed up on it? Like when you go to text your keyboard glitches out?

16. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yea sometimes when entering a password or sending a text message there will be a line of random pixels moving around on the keyboard. It seems to be pretty common, though the Apple support representative I talked to said it was a hardware issue.

17. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

so are you turned on by your iphone5 when its not cracked?

haha sorry i had to

18. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

Keyboard Glitch

19. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

64GB phone, bought Applecare+ ... for the next year and three quarters, I intend to use this phone and not baby it. If it gets scratched, dinged, or whatever, to the point of it looking like crap, I'll get my first replacement for $50 and also use the heck out of it... Then just before the plan expires, I will get my second replacement for another $50 and put it in a case.

20. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I got it to get a new battery in a year and a half.

It will come useful should my screen break as well.

21. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

ehh. I guess if you can't fix it with a restore and not everyone is experiencing it, it is probably hardware related.

22. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about getting AppleCare+ for my iPhone 5. I'm very careful with my devices, and have never bought AppleCare for any of my other i-devices (MBP Retina, MBA, iPhone 4, Apple TV, iPods...).

Since new iPhone gets released every year, and carriers do not subsidize after 1 year into the contract, chances are I'll keep this phone for the next 2 years. Having a peace of mind for $99 for 2 years might seems worth it to me.

Worse case scenario:
    Don't use AppleCare+ at all in the next 2 years - lose $99

Best case scenario:
    1 accidental replacement - save $81 ($229 - $99 - $49)
    2 accidental replacement - save $261 ($229x2 -$99 - $49x2)
    ERS - save additional $29 for each replacement

I'll probably do a replacement right before I'll try to sell it before my next phone.

23. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You get two replacements for $50 each. Two years service that you can transfer to a new owner if you sell the phone. Well worth it.

24. Scottyee macrumors regular

One thing to consider before forking out $99 for AppleCare+ is that it won't cover a "lost" or "stolen" iphone. :(
    Is there an iPhone 5 replacement insurance policy someone here can recommend which will cover this too,
    and how much would that cost compared to AppleCare+?

25. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Worth Ave Group covers stolen, but not lost for $84 for a 32 GB. Add or subtract $5 for 64 or 16.

http://www.worthavegroup.com/iphone-insurance

I was going to go with WAG, but AppleCare+ actually adds to the warranty and I'll be handing my 5 down next year to my wife, so that sealed the deal.