Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CQMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if an iPhone 4s bought from an eBay seller can be protected by AppleCare? I have been looking at new or replacement iPhones and I think getting some sort of damage cover is important as they still cost ~£400. Also, does AppleCare cover losing the phone as well as accidental damage etc.? Thanks for your help.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if an iPhone 4s bought from an eBay seller can be protected by AppleCare? I have been looking at new or replacement iPhones and I think getting some sort of damage cover is important as they still cost ~£400. Also, does AppleCare cover losing the phone as well as accidental damage etc.? Thanks for your help.

AppleCare does not cover losing the iPhone.

If you accidentally damage your iPhone, i.e. dropping it, throwing it against a brick wall or driving your car over your iPhone, you'll have to pay $49 USD or $149 USD depending if you're covered by AppleCare or not.

CQMAC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2011
AppleCare does not cover losing the iPhone.

If you accidentally damage your iPhone, i.e. dropping it, throwing it against a brick wall or driving your car over your iPhone, you'll have to pay $49 USD or $149 USD depending if you're covered by AppleCare or not.

Thanks for the reply. How do most people cover their iPhone? Do most people just add it to house content cover insurance?

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks for the reply. How do most people cover their iPhone? Do most people just add it to house content cover insurance?

I don't know how most people cover their iPhone. I could say "a lot" or "none at all", but I wouldn't have the facts to prove my claim.

I always add AppleCare protection plan (+2 years warranty) to my iPhone/Macbook Air. I'm very carefully with my electronics, but I like to play it safe.

I believe you get 1 year protection from Apple if you buy a brand new iPhone. The AppleCare extended warranty adds 2 more years, which makes 3 years of protection in total.

If you break your phone, you pay $49 bucks to replace it. You can only do this once.

If you are not on any warranty (1 year or extended), you have to pay $149 to replace your phone if you break it or if your phone starts acting faulty.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't know how most people cover their iPhone. I could say "a lot" or "none at all", but I wouldn't have the facts to prove my claim.

I always add AppleCare protection plan (+2 years warranty) to my iPhone/Macbook Air. I'm very carefully with my electronics, but I like to play it safe.

I believe you get 1 year protection from Apple if you buy a brand new iPhone. The AppleCare extended warranty adds 2 more years, which makes 3 years of protection in total.

If you break your phone, you pay $49 bucks to replace it. You can only do this once.

If you are not on any warranty (1 year or extended), you have to pay $149 to replace your phone if you break it or if your phone starts acting faulty.

people are really confusing applecare and applecare+. Applecare is the standard 1 year warranty with phone support and manufacture defects covered. Applecare+ you have to buy when you buy the phone and it adds coverage from that date for 2 years, not 2 years longer than the 1 year standard coverage. The difference is applecare+ will cover accidental damage as well. It cost $99 up front and then $50 if you need to replace the phone for accidental damage. Any manufacture defect will be covered for free in that 2 year span. You also get 2 replacements for accidental.

Applecare+ is only available on iphones and ipad. Regular applecare is what you buy for macs and extends the manufacture's warranty out 2 additional years.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
Applecare+ is only available on iphones and ipad. Regular applecare is what you buy for macs and extends the manufacture's warranty out 2 additional years.

I think AppleCare+ is only available in the USA. TC is from UK as he used a different currency in his original post.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
ahh, so is the applecare in the UK essentially a better version of the US ac+?

Actually, I take it back. Other countries (such as Hong Kong and UK) has AppleCare Plus.. but it's not advertised as "AppleCare+". It's just... Extended AppleCare (which is plus 2 years to the 1 year).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Actually, I take it back. Other countries (such as Hong Kong and UK) has AppleCare Plus.. but it's not advertised as "AppleCare+". It's just... Extended AppleCare (which is plus 2 years to the 1 year).

so a better version of the US...grrrr! granted i never have a phone more than a year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.