AppleCare / Last Day, no reciept, Apple Support off by a single day...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by justaregularjoe, May 19, 2011.

1. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

So I am currently freaking out a bit and would appreciate any help I can get.

I have a MacBook Pro that I purchased last year on May 21st. Now a year later, my parents are buying me AppleCare for my birthday, which falls on the same day (which is the earliest I can get to the store due to work).

However, I am buying it from a third party retailer, and Apple's Support site says that my machine was purchased on the 20th, which is wrong. When the store goes to check my Serial, Apple will say that I bought the MacBook a year and a day ago and I am no longer eligible.

And the final middle finger in this whole sucky thing is that when I went to get my receipt ready to take in to the store, it is not where I left it, and I suspect that it is long gone.

Any ideas?

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Where did you purchase the computer from? Most retailers will be able to search for the purchase receipt by either credit card number or by serial number if it was scanned at checkout.

3. DeChrii macrumors member

I guess the only possible way in your position is to call up apple or set up an appointment and explain your story to them. I'm sure they can track your serial number and hopefully still allow you to purchase apple care on your machine. Hopefully they will allow it at 1 day off.

4. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Thankfully I found my receipt; my mother had it filed away. *twitch twitch*

I have already sent a photo of the receipt to Apple via the Proof of Purchase update thing. Quote is 24 to 48 hours, which may not be fast enough. :(

Do you think that if I take the receipt to the place that I am buying AppleCare from as proof of purchase they will do it even if Apple has not yet updated their records? Or will Apple block them by default until it is updated?

5. justaregularjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, the thing that has me worried the most is that I bought the computer from BestBuy and I am buying AppleCare from ComputerDepot (another authorized reseller), and the closest Apple Store is a 4 hour drive. Oh, Canada...

I think the fact that I found the receipt should help a great bit, but it does not have the serial it anywhere.

Fingers crossed and thanks for the input, guys.

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

In the future, you should consider purchasing Applecare and adding it to your machine at least a month before your years up. That way, you can avoid all the hassle.

Plus, it takes more than one day for Apple to apply the APP.

7. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

If your AppleCare purchase gets denied, I would contact apple's executive department at sjobs@apple.com. They were very helpful when I had issues with a printer rebate a few years ago.

8. hsj2011 macrumors regular

I would phone Apple Customer Services and talk to them about it. They may be able to help more directly.

To be honest, I don't think the store you buy the AppleCare from will be able to help because it's not them that accepts/declines the registration, it's Apple, so I would definately try to phone them today.

9. Jaym3 macrumors newbie

Just call applecare and purchase it over the phone. They will take your credit card right over the phone.

10. bxbomb1983 macrumors newbie

bxbomb1983

Just like Jaym stated you can just call them and purchase it over the phone and if you tell them your a student you will get it at a discounted rate. Also, you have up to three days after your warranty expires to get the AppleCare after that your S-O-L. If you have any issues just ask the advisor you would like speak to Tier 2 or Senior Advisor.