Applecare+ needed for iPhone 5?

cardinalflyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Got my new iPhone 5 yesterday via Sprint but I didn't sign up for the warranty. Was this a mistake? What are my options if it I break it or lose it?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009
Well if you break it you can get an out of warranty replacement at Apple for $229, so that's some food for thought.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Well if you break it you can get an out of warranty replacement at Apple for $229, so that's some food for thought.
Does anyone know if the $229 (I thought it was $199, but regardless) is for all iPhone replacements, or if that price is just for the 16 gig.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
Got my new iPhone 5 yesterday via Sprint but I didn't sign up for the warranty. Was this a mistake? What are my options if it I break it or lose it?
If you lose it, nothing will bring it back. Applecare+ will give you a brand new phone on the spot if it breaks, even due to an accident, at an additional charge of $50.00.

jalpert

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
Actually, it was $199 but it's gone up to $249, at least that what a guy at my work was charged.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
In the long run, the only people that make money are those selling insurance. You have to decide if you will take chances and handle the cost yourself.

We have gone through or have 5 iphones. Never needed insurance for any of them, so we "self insure"

cardinalflyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
If you lose it, nothing will bring it back. Applecare+ will give you a brand new phone on the spot if it breaks, even due to an accident, at an additional charge of $50.00.
Even if you water-logged it?

Also has anyone had experience with the non-apple repair services eg ihospital?

Last edited:

robertk328

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I used Apple Care earlier this year to replace an iPhone 4 that had a bad lock/power button. It was bought on release day. The [then] $69 saved me from paying $199 to replace it. When I had the original iPhone I had some issues, didn't have Apple Care, and had to pay the $199 before the iPhone 4 came out. To me it's totally worth it for the extra year of warranty (home button, lock button, etc.) and the additional $30 ($99 vs $69) for the Apple Care+ option is worth it as well. I'll probably be going today to get it on both iPhone 5 we bought.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
You can use AppleCare+ at the end of its life to get a brand new clean iPhone 5 to resell, too. I plan on using mine for 2 years, so it's worth it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
You can use AppleCare+ at the end of its life to get a band new clean iPhone 5 to resell, too. I plan on using mine for 2 years, so it's worth it.
agreed. I always get a new one right before I sell it, or basically am willing to knock $50 of my selling price knowing they can replace the phone if they want.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
agreed. I always get a new one right before I sell it, or basically am willing to knock $50 of my selling price knowing they can replace the phone if they want.
It's especially useful if one likes to use the phone au natural. I hate cases, so AC+ protects me, even from things a normal case can't, like water spills or my 3 year old throwing it into the pool... :cool:

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
Insurance of any kind is a for-profit business, and so statistically it is cheaper to "self-insure" and just pay for damages as they occur. That said, if $100 is worth the peace of mind for coverage in case of accidental damage then you have 30 days to buy it. You'll just need to take it into an Apple Store Genius Bar so that they can verify that it isn't broken.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
I buy AppleCare + every time and I upgrade every year. When it comes time to sell I give the option to keep the AppleCare on the device for what they would give me to cancel. For instance I have a 4s forsale on this forum right now $325 without AppleCare $400 with AppleCare. Since I've only had that phone since may if I cancel it I get $75 back from apple.

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Unless you break your phone twice I don't think its a good deal at all.

Its $100 with a $50 deductible for a replacement. With no Applecare+ its $229... So you're spending $100 for the chance to save $80.

The cost of the plan is more than the benefit.

If you break your phone twice it becomes a clearer winner but I'm not going to give Apple $100 dollars that may end up just being free money for them. I'm not going to bet against myself.

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010

Its $100 with a $50 deductible for a replacement. With no Applecare+ its $229... So you're spending $100 for the chance to save $80.

If you break your phone twice it becomes a clearer winner but I'm not going to give Apple $100 dollars that may end up just being free money for them. I'm not going to bet against myself.
is it still $229 after your 1 year warranty runs out?

Captainobvvious

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
As I understand it, yes.

It costs $80 more than a replacement through Applecare+ and you get the added benefit of saving $100 if you DON'T break your phone. I think all extended warranties are a rip off. They're just added profit for the stores they're basically pure profit.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I understand that logic, and have done that in the past; However, that is the point of insurance (it's a gamble) and apple definitely banks on you not using it. If I broke it even only once, I would be scared about having to fork out the $220 again.

MMM.PWR

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Milwaukee
I'm keeping it for 2 years, so it's worth it IMO. Especially after having a broken home button on the 4 for almost a year. (started after the 1 yr warranty ended)

----------

I'm not going to bet against myself.
But sometimes it's not up to you. Sometimes the phone just craps out on you. :mad:

For the people upgrading every year it isn't worth it.

AlvinNguyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
You can get a refund on AppleCare+ so it practically the same price as buying a case+ screen protector.

This way I can rock my phone without a case and know that it's protected.

cardinalflyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012

Just for clarity, if I break or lose my iphone 5 I can get a replacement from Apple for $229??

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
This is a matter of preference just as extended warranties and insurance are on anything else out there. There are countless prior threads you can refer ot if you want the thoughts and opinions of others:
https://www.google.com/search?q=applecare++worth+site:forums.macrumors.com&sugexp=chrome,mod=3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It's not a one-size-fits-all matter. Otherwise everyone would have it. Or no one would have it. You need to make the call based on your own preferences and polling others never tells you what your preference is.

Does anyone know if the $229 (I thought it was $199, but regardless) is for all iPhone replacements, or if that price is just for the 16 gig.
Just for clarity, if I break or lose my iphone 5 I can get a replacement from Apple for $229??
http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone&select=ADVANCE_REPLACEMENT

Last edited: