Applecare+ needed for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cardinalflyer, Sep 23, 2012.

1. cardinalflyer macrumors newbie

Got my new iPhone 5 yesterday via Sprint but I didn't sign up for the warranty. Was this a mistake? What are my options if it I break it or lose it?

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

3. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Well if you break it you can get an out of warranty replacement at Apple for $229, so that's some food for thought.

4. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the $229 (I thought it was $199, but regardless) is for all iPhone replacements, or if that price is just for the 16 gig.

5. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

If you lose it, nothing will bring it back. Applecare+ will give you a brand new phone on the spot if it breaks, even due to an accident, at an additional charge of $50.00.

6. jalpert macrumors 6502

Actually, it was $199 but it's gone up to $249, at least that what a guy at my work was charged.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

In the long run, the only people that make money are those selling insurance. You have to decide if you will take chances and handle the cost yourself.

We have gone through or have 5 iphones. Never needed insurance for any of them, so we "self insure"

8. cardinalflyer, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

cardinalflyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if you water-logged it?

Also has anyone had experience with the non-apple repair services eg ihospital?

9. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

I used Apple Care earlier this year to replace an iPhone 4 that had a bad lock/power button. It was bought on release day. The [then] $69 saved me from paying $199 to replace it. When I had the original iPhone I had some issues, didn't have Apple Care, and had to pay the $199 before the iPhone 4 came out. To me it's totally worth it for the extra year of warranty (home button, lock button, etc.) and the additional $30 ($99 vs $69) for the Apple Care+ option is worth it as well. I'll probably be going today to get it on both iPhone 5 we bought.

10. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

You can use AppleCare+ at the end of its life to get a brand new clean iPhone 5 to resell, too. I plan on using mine for 2 years, so it's worth it.

11. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

i never bought Applecare b4, cos I buy the new gen every year.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

agreed. I always get a new one right before I sell it, or basically am willing to knock $50 of my selling price knowing they can replace the phone if they want.

13. bogatyr macrumors 65816

No case and a history of damaging phones made AC+ a no brainer for me.

14. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

It's especially useful if one likes to use the phone au natural. I hate cases, so AC+ protects me, even from things a normal case can't, like water spills or my 3 year old throwing it into the pool... :cool:

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Insurance of any kind is a for-profit business, and so statistically it is cheaper to "self-insure" and just pay for damages as they occur. That said, if $100 is worth the peace of mind for coverage in case of accidental damage then you have 30 days to buy it. You'll just need to take it into an Apple Store Genius Bar so that they can verify that it isn't broken.

16. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

I buy AppleCare + every time and I upgrade every year. When it comes time to sell I give the option to keep the AppleCare on the device for what they would give me to cancel. For instance I have a 4s forsale on this forum right now $325 without AppleCare $400 with AppleCare. Since I've only had that phone since may if I cancel it I get $75 back from apple.

17. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

Unless you break your phone twice I don't think its a good deal at all.

Its $100 with a $50 deductible for a replacement. With no Applecare+ its $229... So you're spending $100 for the chance to save $80.

The cost of the plan is more than the benefit.

If you break your phone twice it becomes a clearer winner but I'm not going to give Apple $100 dollars that may end up just being free money for them. I'm not going to bet against myself.

18. flatfoot99 Guest

is it still $229 after your 1 year warranty runs out?

19. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

As I understand it, yes.

It costs $80 more than a replacement through Applecare+ and you get the added benefit of saving $100 if you DON'T break your phone. I think all extended warranties are a rip off. They're just added profit for the stores they're basically pure profit.

20. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I understand that logic, and have done that in the past; However, that is the point of insurance (it's a gamble) and apple definitely banks on you not using it. If I broke it even only once, I would be scared about having to fork out the $220 again.

21. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

I'm keeping it for 2 years, so it's worth it IMO. Especially after having a broken home button on the 4 for almost a year. (started after the 1 yr warranty ended)

----------

But sometimes it's not up to you. Sometimes the phone just craps out on you. :mad:

For the people upgrading every year it isn't worth it.

22. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

You can get a refund on AppleCare+ so it practically the same price as buying a case+ screen protector.

This way I can rock my phone without a case and know that it's protected.

23. cardinalflyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Just for clarity, if I break or lose my iphone 5 I can get a replacement from Apple for $229??

24. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No if you loose it you gets nothing

25. takeshi74, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

This is a matter of preference just as extended warranties and insurance are on anything else out there. There are countless prior threads you can refer ot if you want the thoughts and opinions of others:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=app...&sugexp=chrome,mod=3&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It's not a one-size-fits-all matter. Otherwise everyone would have it. Or no one would have it. You need to make the call based on your own preferences and polling others never tells you what your preference is.

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?p...tes&product=iphone&select=ADVANCE_REPLACEMENT