AppleCare+ now charges $79.99 per 2 incidents?! So messed up!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by okwhatev, Sep 22, 2013.

1. okwhatev macrumors 6502

Totally without anyone noticing, AppleCare+, a default purchase by so many of us when purchasing a new iPhone, now charges $79.99 PER INCIDENT for accidental damage repair, up from the $49.99 they charged before. Not only that, but they've reduced the number of incidents per year from 3 to 2. I always thought AppleCare+ was a ripoff, especially with places like SquareTrade and WorthAve Group offering tremendously superior insurance (Worth Group offering THEFT protection as well with a $50 deductible), but many people I know like it due to the convenience of going into the Apple Store and getting a replacement on the spot.

I just find it super sneaky that they changed the terms of AppleCare+ for iPhone so drastically without anyone noticing. I am totally shocked.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

fyi, number of accidental incidents has always been two, not three.

3. KaijuRed macrumors regular

I thought Applecare+ was 2 accidents per warranty?

Also tech sites reported this change in last week... we know.

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Apple also use to send you a replacement via fed ex without having to send your broken one back until you got the replacement. Not anymore. You send your broken one in first. Just like Square trade. AppleCare+ is great if you live close to an Apple store. But for those of us that live 150 to 200 miles away, it really provides no advantage.

5. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

They also changed the OOW price from $229 -> $269 for the iPhone 5/5C/5S. It happened the day of the iPhone 5C/5S announcement.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

As has been mentioned, incidents per the two year period has always been two.

I am not sure why you feel increasing the price is "messed up". It is really the consumer's job to be informed about a service like this, is it not? If you inquire about it, I am sure the Apple employee will be glad to go over it with you. I got my phone at radio shack and even the employee there knew what was up.

I am thinking a lot of people were abusing this. "I will just trash my phone and then replace it for $50 before I want to sell it, and sell it as brand new with plastic still on the unit". Definitely helps get a higher value for the phone, and you don't even have to worry about the phone. A $50 replacement was only $10-20 more than a third party case. It's a no-brainer.

8. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I disagree as I just did an advance replacement with AppleCare+ for my iphone 5. (Stateside)

----------

Hell I've done this.. In fact I did it the other day for my iphone 5. Though legitimately damaged, I'm replacing it and going to sell it as new at my local gamestop for top dollar!

9. Princejb134 macrumors member

Maybe is because the parts inside are more expensive. Especially know that we have finger print scanner; that's extra hardware to replace.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This is much ado about nothing.

11. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Is this only for new AppleCare+ purchasers? If I bought AppleCare+ a year ago and I trash my iPhone 5, do I also have to pay $80? If so, I agree that's pretty crappy as I didn't agree to those terms when I purchased the service. I know they can change the terms whenever they want (which I don't like) but they should only be charging the $80 to people who are just buying this now and maybe just for the newer phones and beyond.

12. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

It was always two incidents. Although with the price increase I'd definitely pass on it now.

13. aneftp macrumors 68040

Wow, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Before $199 was the standard replacment fee for out of warranty service. Than they raised it to $229.

Now it's $269?

I know Apple's strategy. They are trying to promote repairs in store and not replace the phone all together. Repairs are much more profitable than replacements for Apple.

14. agpatel macrumors member

If you got AppleCare and your contract with them states $50/replacment that is what you will pay. All new contracts are writen with $80/replacement.

15. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

i knew full well going into the store friday that they raised it but i still got it anyways. i got it because it is still cheaper the the vow insurance. 2 years X $10= $240 if you don't break it or get a replacement. $99 for two years is alot cheaper. even if you only have your phone for a year it is still cheaper.

or

$10x 2years+$175 ( deductible for VZW) =$315

$99+ $89 (apples deductible) =$198

sounds better to me

16. ajm222 macrumors 6502a

Thanks. That's good to know.

17. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

As long as you have AppleCare+, you can use the Express Replacement Service. They'll send you a new device, then you put it in the box they sent you and mail it back (it's already pre-postaged).

I just did this 2 weeks ago. You have to set up the replacement request over the phone, you can't set it up online.

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW:

http://images.apple.com/legal/sales-support/terms/docs/iphone_ars_na_en.pdf

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

And I thank all of you who intentionally damage your iPhone if you feel like swapping it out and think nothing of it. Good job people.

20. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

And Apple raised the price of iPhones by $20 in Canada. Margins margins margins! :rolleyes:

21. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

$80 seems fair considering the phone is, what, $800?

22. tivoboy macrumors 68030

no, you are under the previous plan. The thing we don't yet know is if current AC+ customers can keep the plan rules they have had previously, since it's a YEARLY plan and many may still be on the first year.

23. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Was The Apple Store supposed to give me a box or some other kind of proof that I bought Applecare on my phone other than a receipt?

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

No, they stopped handing out boxes when AppleCare is purchased at the same time the item being protected is.

25. neoelectronaut, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Well, I bought my phone from Best Buy on Friday and Applecare from the local Apple Store on Sunday, so they weren't at the same time.

Unfortunately Apple's support site is listing me still at my standard 1-year warranty, so I'm guessing the clerk at the Apple Store didn't put in my information correctly. Urgh...guess I'll need to shoot Apple an e-mail.