AppleCare+ or SquareTrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spin360, Dec 22, 2011.

1. spin360 macrumors member

Which one would/did you buy and why? I bought the ST warranty for $89 (with a discount code). Deductibles are similar at $50, however AppleCare allows 2 ADH incidents where as ST only 1. Not sure how much AppleCare+ costs.

2. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Applecare+. They're basically the same price. Squaretrade only offers you coverage up to the value of your phone. So if you get it replaced once, you're done, no matter how long you purchased coverage for. Applecare+ will replace it as many times as necessary if it's due to defect, or twice if it's due to accidental damage. Plus, I prefer to just be able to walk into an Apple Store and get my phone fixed.

4. fins831 macrumors 6502a

5. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Applecare + no question. Have to buy it within 30 days of buying your phone.

6. greenchiliman macrumors 6502

Comes down to who your trust more with a $600 device. Most people, with good reason, will say apple

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

I think with square trade you have to mail your phone in and wait for them to fix it also. Most can't be without their phone.

8. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

And at the time of an accidental incident within 30 days where also the price of the replacement phone is reduced by $50. Pretty good deal IMO.

9. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

This again? Lol, so many threads on this.

I personally would recommend AC+ now that it exists. Price difference is pretty negligible considering the convenience and benefits. Both have ~50 deductible and accidental insurance. However, ST has a maximum of $599 which I don't really know what it means. AC+ will replace your phone twice, and you just need to go to an Apple store. Nothing done online unlike with ST.

10. spin360 thread starter macrumors member

Meh. I guess I should've searched first, my bad.

Anyway, I went to the local Apple Store and got AP+. Canceled my ST warranty.

11. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Good move. AC + is better anyway. ST requires too much work. I've done a warranty claim with them.

12. jordans0nly macrumors member

Question about that though, Applecare + wasn't out when I preordered my iPhone in February with Verizon. So, with that said, if I dropped it, I was screwed anyway right? To me, it seems like the ones benefiting from the new Applecare + are the ppl with the 4S. Or, is that a wrong statement on my part?

I dropped mine the other day and have to get my screen replaced. I tried to tell the girl at the Apple store that the Applecare + wouldn't have helped me anyway, since it wasn't out at the time I bought it.

13. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

No one even knew about AC+ until it was released in October. Back then, you had several options, but ST was the best one to cover ADH. AppleCare "Regular" which is ~$69 and AppleCare 'Plus" which is ~$99 are two different things. The latter covers accidental damage from handling.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

When my 16GB iPhone 4 broke SquareTrade sent me a check for $600.

15. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Yes, at which point you could go purchase a new iPhone and a new Squaretrade warranty, because they consider their contract with you fulfilled. With Applecare+, that replacement phone would still be covered under the remainder of your warranty with no additional cost to you, because Applecare+ doesn't have a $ limit (though they do have a limit of 2 repairs/replacements if it's due to accidental damage).

16. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I had SquareTrade warranty and I spoke to them about completely replacing my phone, they said I had to buy it first then they will reimburse me. However, it was the refurbished, same model of my phone since it was my first claim. They said that I had to give them a receipt before they give me any money to reimburse. They could, however reimburse up to $599 less what's already been used if there's sufficient cause or claims.

17. jordans0nly macrumors member

I know the difference. I was just trying to make a point to the girl at the Genius bar that there isn't/wasnt any compensation for the people who bought phones BEFORE the Plus came out. Just seems to me they should, even if at a cheaper rate fix it for less than $157 because Applecare Plus wasn't available at the time I bought my phone, but I would have to get it after it's fixed in order to get it cheaper NEXT time.