AppleCare+ owners... get iOS6 back for $50?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by terzinator, Sep 25, 2013.

1. terzinator macrumors 6502

If I need to replace my 4S (applecare+), does anyone know if the replacements they're providing are shipping with iOS6 or iOS7?

Just realized that if they're shipping with iOS6, and if you were really unhappy after upgrading your 4S to iOS7, you could get iOS6 back for $50! (Or perhaps free, if your phone has a warranty issue...)

I suppose that could be true for the iPhone 5, too!

The things that come to mind waiting for the coffee to brew...

2. Jmclark macrumors regular

I got my 4S replaced the day after iOS 7 came out with AppleCare+. Had iOS 6 on it.

3. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

Is it not possible to just boot into DFU and restore completely from an ios6 IPA file??

4. auero macrumors 65816

You can just downgrade to iOS 6 via iTunes...

5. troy14 macrumors 6502a

No.

As of a few iOS generations ago (I think it started with iOS 4 and the 4S) Apple requires you to authorize (iTunes does this automatically without your knowledge) the iOS being installed. When new ones are released (such as iOS 7, or say, 7.0.1) then Apple stops authorizing the previous versions for that device. So when you send a request to install iOS 6, Apple says NO, only iOS 7 can be installed and it cancels/fails the installation.

There were ways around this but they have since stopped working for newer devices.

6. auero macrumors 65816

That's incorrect. I downgraded my mothers 4S to iOS 6 from iOS 7. It does work.

All I did was go into iTunes and hold option while pressing restore, selected the old ipsw and it installed.

7. Presonance macrumors regular

Presonance

That's because Apple was still signing iOS 6 restores. Once they stop signing it, it'll be impossible.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

How long ago? Apple is no longer signing iOS 6 and it will not install.

9. Triangle Man macrumors member

Why does Apple stop signing the previous iOS so quickly? Don't you think they'd make a lot of people happier if they could downgrade their OS in case they upgraded to iOS 7 and didn't like it?

10. g35 macrumors 6502a

You could always ask. As far as I know, if you're paying the $50 (or $229 if no Applecare+) the apple employee doesn't really care about your reason. And if you go during a non-busy time, and get the right apple employee, they can probably grab an older one for you based on serial number. But the clock is ticking...

11. auero macrumors 65816

Friday or Saturday which explains why it worked.

12. g35 macrumors 6502a

It's beneficial for Apple to have everyone on the same OS version. If you don't like it, TS has always been Apple's official policy

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because Apple wants you to update to the newest version of iOS.

But more realistically, Apple stops signing because if you cannot roll back to a previous version of iOS and there is no current jailbreak for the current version of iOS, you can't jailbreak.

It's all about defeating the jailbreakers and ensuring that Apple continues to control how you interact with your device. I'll cite an example. iOS 6 was jailbroken up to 6.1.2. But Apple fixed the holes and released 6.1.3 and stopped signing 6.1.2. This forced everyone that either needed to restore or update to 6.1.3. Since 6.1.3 was no longer jailbreakable that effectively prevented new users from jailbreaking their devices and caused unfortunate souls to lose their jailbreak when forced to restore.

The iPhone 4 and below have a jailbreak that is works off the baseband (firmware) which makes it possible if you have saved the parts that allow you to authenticate to rollback. But in order to save those parts you would have had to jailbreak back when iOS 6 was jailbreakable. But there is no baseband security flaw to take advantage of with the 4S and above, so no rolling back.

So jailbreakers have a choice. Stay on iOS 6 and keep their jailbreak or move to iOS 7 and lose their jailbreak. That's why a lot of us are staying put and waiting for the iOS 7 jailbreak (should it come). But if anyone is forced to restore, Apple nails us and forces us to iOS 7 which means we lose our jailbreaks. And THAT is what Apple wants and why it forces updating.

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yep. They stopped signing iOS6 sometime on Saturday the 21st. I did a downgrade to iOS6 from iOS7GM on my 4S on Friday night in anticipation of that; glad I didn't wait.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/09/21/apple-not-signing-ios-6-1-34/

At this point anyone on iOS7 wanting to downgrade is SOL without doing a device swap as the OP intends. I have no idea whether the current replacement units are shipping with iOS6 or 7, but would recommend acting fast if anyone hopes to downgrade that way.

15. auero macrumors 65816

For what its worth, I coincidentally had to get my 5 replaced today. It came with iOS 6 and I asked him not to update it.

16. terzinator thread starter macrumors 6502

Good info... I'd guess, because they're not making them anymore, if you need a replacement 5, it probably would come with iOS6.