AppleCare protection plan

saint

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Sydney
Just got a letter from apple saying my warranty is about to expire on my iBook.
Can't decide if I will pay for an extra 2 years warranty or not, any suggestions?

How many people actually go for the protection plan anyway?

cheers

ps. I haven't had any problems with the iBook so far.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
my suggestion... if you plan to hang onto the ibook for more than another year or so, it's probably worth it.

portables are more susceptible to problems, and already having 2 years under its belt it's more likely to be a problem...

if you're only gonna have it another year or less... then don't bother...

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
I gotta agree

For portables you should probably go for it. I wish I had had the money to when my time came. 2 months after my warranty my CD/DVD module went out on my Pismo. Got one from eBay for $150.00, but if I had had AC it would have been free.

About the only thing Apple has replaced out of my warranty is the power adapter. It got flaky on me, and when I mentioned it to them, they immediately gave me one. They didn't ask for serial numbers or anything. I think they are jumpy now when it comes to adapters.

My 2¢.

Gus

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
I say it's worth it. My HD on my iBook sounded louder than normal and I got a new one. The rubber foot on my battery broke off and they sent me a whole battery to replace it. And it's still less than a year old.....

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple takes VERY good care of anyone thats on AppleCare

I bought a Ti a year ago and its been to AppleCare two or three times now.....but each time only took a few days and the problems were always fixed VERY efficiently!

It is expensive, but its not a ripoff at all........

On the other hand....if you're not planning on using your computer very long, then don't do it.......otherwise, DO IT!

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by xrhajj
Without any equivocations, GET IT!!!!!!!!!! ;)

It will pay for itself in one repair!!;)
unless you plan to ditch your computer within a year.....

while i agree with your stance... you're assuming that it will need a repair. which, while definitely possible, is not certain. so it may or may not pay for itself.

that said, get it if you're keeping it for a while

ps. when will saint ever show his face again???

saint

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Sydney
Here I am!

Thanks for the advice. I think I will get it, because I do plan to keep the computer for at least another 2 years.

Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger
The rubber foot on my battery broke off and they sent me a whole battery to replace it.
...What if one of the other 3 feet broke off, I wonder if they would have replaced your whole ibook? :p

cheers

Dr_Floyd

macrumors member
May 27, 2002
and it gives you an added 2 years of techsupport. Over all it is worth the money. the Applecare also gives you techtools.