Applecare Repair wants to charge me $1300 for something that wasn't broken

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryannazaretian, Sep 13, 2010.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

So I sent in my laptop last Wednesday to get repaired for multiple reasons (Airport, Mini DP, Black Clutch cover falling off, dust under screen, trackpad problems, and stripped screws). So lots of issues, but not one of them covers why they're denying to fix it.

They said there has been accidental damage to the screen. A pressure point. I've owned the laptop for two years, and I've never had any white spots like they're describing, and the picture they sent doesn't help their case either.

From Applecare:

I've asked for further proof, because I don't see it in the picture. Way to go Apple trying to show me a white spot on a white screen...

What are my options? Well my warranty is now void. So I can suck it up and pay $1300 to get it fixed, or I can bring it to a computer store.

WTF?!?!

What can I do?

They said it passed the first inspection for accidental damage, and only failed the inspection after repair was complete?!?! So how the hell is it my fault? It passed the initial inspection, but failed the inspection before sending it back to me? WTF? They broke a bracket of the fan last time it was sent in, so I know they're not perfect with the repair. Maybe they dropped a tool on it or put pressure on the screen while cleaning out the dust? Also, the dust would have meant a new screen, so how could I damage a new screen that I haven't even seen before? It's not making any sense.

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Call them and ask for a manager as soon as possible. The only way you are going to have a chance of breaking through on this is by talking to someone who has logic and reason.

3. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Trying to call them now... Nothing about this makes any sense. I'm going to ask for a manager as soon as they answer. It's like I have to pay for another one of their mistakes with this machine.

4. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

That is odd. For $1300 I would just buy another new computer.

5. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Seems like it was fine pre fix but damaged post fix, so by inference, the apple tech ****ed something up.

6. brianfast macrumors regular

Looks like Apple is screwing you over. I would demand to talk to a supervisor. Threaten a lawsuit in your conversation. I would never buy Apple again if they did this to me and got away with it...

7. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

I'd have them return it to you and take it to a local service provider. They'll have more time to tell if it was accidental damage or not.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Could it be damaged during shipping?

Not the usual experience.

HAHAHA.

You obviously don't know how much a lawyer costs. Think few hundred per hour to get started.

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I zoomed all the way into the picture and I see nothing wrong with it, Apple is just trying to deny your warranty. This isn't the Apple I used to know :(

10. OSMac macrumors 65816

42 Billion in cash in Apple's account and they treat a customer like this...

Something does not sound right?

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Since the repair they're talking about is 'pending' can't you just say you don't want that fixed, and you've not noticed any issues regarding the screen?? Makes logical sense since it's not one of the items you we're enquiring about... but it does seem odd:rolleyes:

Than again, Apple does screw things up on occasions. I've known friends whom received brand new replacement products after someone at apple ball'ed up.

12. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Ya but if he "deny's" it... then he is basically screwed if anything else goes wont in the future, correct?

13. Mike Macintosh macrumors regular

Mike Macintosh

Agreed, if they are going to charge $1300 you might as well just pick up a new one, I would really argue the case because something sounds fishy and I think they are just trying to cash in on some extra dough.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apple, (although I disagree) You want to charge the guy MORE than what a new laptop will cost? Complete BS. You are selling brand new laptop, power cable, everything for less than repairing a few parts on an old one?

15. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Thanks for the support guys and gals.

I finished up the conversation. I spoke with Darren with the regular technical support, and he agreed that it didn't seem quite right. He forwarded me to customer relations where a woman named Alicia was able to help me out. She listened to my story and agreed that it didn't sound quite right and said that she would escalate the issue and Apple would fix everything on the laptop except for the screen.

I'm fine with that. There was dust, but it's not a $1300 repair I'm ready (or in my right mind) to make. I just want to have my laptop back so I can start participating in my robotics class again (requires laptops)

Now to see if my screen is really as f'ed up as Apple is claiming it is. If it is, I will raise hell with them, but I have a funny suspicion that the screen will be just as it was before.

16. brianfast macrumors regular

And you clearly don't know that threat of lawsuit is the number one way to get companies that are trying to screw you to take your seriously...

Also, OP - Why are you OK with the screen damage? I am not convinced the screen is damaged..

17. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

A new 13" is cheaper than that repair cost. A 15" (what he has) however, is not.

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You are correct. I didn't realize we were talking about the 15" MBP :eek:

$1300 is still outrageous though.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd call them up. Tell them they have wrongly identified accidental damage and you wish to decline the repair. Tell them you didn't damage it, so if anything happened if it's probably the result of the repair technician mishandling the machine.

Tell them you want the other parts fixed. Those are covered by warranty and since you did not mishandle the machine you have the right to have the necessary repair done with no charge to you.

And I don't see any white spots on the screen. Also ask why they are sticking crap on your perfectly fine screen.

Good luck.

That's the standard pricing for a Tier 4 flat rate depot repair.

20. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I was not denying that. I was simply stating some reason for them to be charging more than a 13" costs. When these 15"-ers were new, they cost upwards of $2200, IIRC. My friend has one, and I believe that that's what he paid.

21. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

How do you think they got 42 Billion? ;)

22. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Touché.

23. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Deny repair and if it is there and Apple refuses to accept blame then you could find a certified :apple: technician in your area for much cheaper than $1300. One here in Florida can swap out the upper lid assembly (screen, glass, aluminum) for $500.

24. cookieronster macrumors member

OP, i can help you out. i encountered a very similar situation.

i used to have a umb 13" that had a logic board failure, when i sent it in, they told me the same. They said it had severe accidental damage from being dropped, based off of a small crack where the ethernet port plugs in (because someone tripped the cable). If you took it to the apple store, they should print out a little page and give it to you, it has the info of the repair on it including a spot where they put the condition of the computer. Mine said "Like New". I referred him to that page and said, that if it was "Like New" when i brought it in, then whatever happened to it since then is your responsibility.

They agreed after about 15 minutes and repaired the logic board, screen and top case. The repair was also about 1300, but they did it under warranty.

Since it passed first inspection I would say you should have everything fixed. Tell them that it didn't have whatever spot they are talking about when you brought it in, and if that they think you're lying--refer them to that print out.

25. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Closest Apple store is 106 miles away, so I did a mail-in repair, and therefore, don't have the printout sheet. The only 'proof' I have is all my friends knowing the condition of my MBP. My girlfriend and I just watched a movie on it the weekend before last. I think she would have noticed it if it had a pressure point as they are pretty easy to notice, but I think i have enough proof with the picture that Apple sent me.